wifi security

sho

Is it safe to use the ship computer at the internet cafe to check my emails?

Will people be able to hack into the computer system and get information from my email account, such as password, contacts etc?

Not knowing what sort of security measures are employed, it's tough to tell. What should be happening is a re-image of the hard drive which discards unwanted user changes at log off or reboot.

Practice safe computing. Don't do online banking on any public network. Avoid entering credit card information on any public network. Log out of anything you log into (e-mail, reservation systems, etc.). Close all browser windows.

If you must do any online banking or credit card transactions, the preferred method would be to use your personal mobile device and your own 4G/LTE connection.

Finally, when you return home, or as soon as is practical, change the passwords of anything you accessed on a public network while you were away.

I would guess "hacking" would be a relatively low-risk situation on a cruise ship, but oftentimes these turn into crimes of opportunity where some unscrupulous dude comes around and discovers personal information left behind in an open browser window.

Edited by triptolemus

Will people be able to hack into the computer system and get information from my email account, such as password, contacts etc?

Yes. Anyone who wants your information and has the knowledge, technology and ability to get it, will get it.

That being said: The ship's Internet cafe will be fine for email and simple browsing. Do not shop online, do online banking or other sensitive online activity.

If you can clear cookies and history after you're done that would be a good thing.

I personally would have no qualms about using the computers in the Internet Cafe to check or send email. I do bring my own system, with its own additional security for other things. Even this isn't 100% fool proof.

Take care,

Mike

Using it for email is fine. I've done it on dozen of cruises. Just be sure to log out of your email, close the browser, and log off the ship internet so minutes don't continue to be used.

I would not use ship computer to check online banking or do similar activities.

It is relatively safe just because it is unlikely that a fellow passenger will have the desire, techinical know-how, and willingness to risk getting caught.

However, a motivated individual COULD install a "keylogger" on the computer, to see everything you and everyone else types.

It's unlikely to happen, but possible.

The Wifi, however, is very safe. It would be highly unlikely for someone to be standing in the hallway in front of your room with a laptop, jacking your signal.

Ok so a simple answer please...

If I bring my iPad mini with me and use it in my cabin to check out my bank accounts on occasion will this be safe?

Using the ships wifi of course not 3 g

If you must do this, use your bank's iPad app. The connection from your iPad to their servers is likely encrypted end-to-end.

Avoid using iPad's Safari web browser to do this, although using your iPad is far safer than using the ship's computers for personal online banking.

Change your password when you return home.

Edited by triptolemus

Public WiFi is never secure. If you think hackers are taking a cruise to steal pax data I would not use it.

I use the ships wifi to check emails, credit cards, bank accounts and all sorts of things.

It is secure as anything else. Nothing is completely safe but you will be fine.

You're absolutely right. People seem really skittish here because for years and years we were all told to be afraid of the internet.

I do all my usual banking routines onboard the ship because I have no reason to fear. Believe me, if there was cause for concern I would not do it.

I'm not going to get into the why's and how's and technical details. Basic common sense and a secure device is all you need. A user is just as safe using the wifi on the ship as they are at their secure home wifi.