10 - Day Alaska Land-Tour Seattle Round Trip

ron1946

Looking at booking the 10 Day Alaska Land Tour that is round trip from Seattle in May of next year on MS Noordam. Would like some info from those who may have made this trip.

I have a million questions, but would limit it to just a few here.

Looks like only four days at sea, with one sea day and Tracy Arm/Juneau and Skagway as the ports. Are there any formal nights, and are MDR menu's available anywhere?

Does this itinerary include all transfers and/or transportation. I. E. - White Pass train to Frazier from Skagway and onward to Whitehorse? Flight from Dawson City to Fairbanks? McKinley Explorer to Anchorage? Flight from Anchorage to Seattle? Are all accommodations included? Hotel in Seattle last night included.

Any help, suggestions, recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

There are a number of versions of the Yukon adventures. May is a bit early as you don't want to get to Denali until the park road is fully open most likely the first week of June. Another thing to keep in mind is that you should have 2 nights in Denali.

I have not done this itinerary since they are doing the flights from Dawson City to Fairbanks. I would also want two nights in Dawson City.

Everything lisTed on the itinerary will be included, hotels, flight, luggage handling, etc. You will be responsible for most meals on the land part.

The cruise first gives you three days on the ship. The land first includes four days on the ship and probably Glacier Bay. I recommend land first but in June.

Do you have to do May? Do more research on this as something doesn't sound quite right. What is the hAL tour #?

There are a number of versions of the Yukon adventures. May is a bit early as you don't want to get to Denali until the park road is fully open most likely the first week of June. Another thing to keep in mind is that you should have 2 nights in Denali.

I have not done this itinerary since they are doing the flights from Dawson City to Fairbanks. I would also want two nights in Dawson City.

Everything lisTed on the itinerary will be included, hotels, flight, luggage handling, etc. You will be responsible for most meals on the land part.

The cruise first gives you three days on the ship. The land first includes four days on the ship and probably Glacier Bay. I recommend land first but in June.

Do you have to do May? Do more research on this as something doesn't sound quite right. What is the hAL tour #?

Thanks for the info. We are pretty much locked into May due to vacations. The reason I chose the cruise first on the 23rd is there is almost a $1400+ difference in price! There are two nights in Denali but only one night in Dawson City.The HAL Tour # is R5C....Roundtrip Seattle....

Edited by ron1946

Thanks for the info. We are pretty much locked into May due to vacations. The reason I chose the cruise first on the 23rd is there is almost a $1400+ difference in price! There are two nights in Denali but only one night in Dawson City.The HAL Tour # is R5C....Roundtrip Seattle....

A vacation is what you make of it. HAL does a good job on the cruise tours and each one will be special due to the passengers, weather, and guide. It sounds like if you cruise first you will be in Denali around June 1st and hopefully the road will be open for the Tundra Wilderness Tour so that you can get into the park on the park road. If not there is still the visitors center and other activities like rafting, flight seeing, etc.

On the cruise Tracy Arm may not be open because of ice but that happens in the spring and the ship will take you to another glacier for viewing if you can't get into Tracy Arm. You will have snow in the mountains and probably at the top of Mt. Roberts in Juneau. You can plan on your own to visit Mendenhall Glacier.

The itinerary you have chosen will have lots of scenic travel and not much time for exploring on your own.

I've taken the longer version of this tour twice and will probably do it again one day!

The tour is well done and pretty much all inclusive, except for meals. We bought the meal ticket. For me an empty stomach and a bus don't mix. We are in a similar dilemma for May. It's cheaper but is it too early? The Tundra Wilderness Tour is called the Teklanika Tundra Wilderness Tour to mile 30 if the park road opens late. So you don't have an opportunity to see Denali. Eielson Visitor Center doesn't open till like June 6?.

They have changed the tour a lot over the years. The Yukon Queen 2 from Dawson to Eagle and the Taylor Highway to Tok was wonderful. But we enjoyed the bus over Top of the World Highway. Rika's Roadhouse was a step back in time. And now they fly you. So go while you can! The Toast of the Dome tour in Dawson is corny but fun. In 2012, they ran a neat Gold Field tour but in 2013 they didn't. I agree with oaktreerb, the longer trip with an ON in Skagway and two nights in Dawson will give you more time to explore. Isn't it great to have such choices! What ever you choose, you can't go wrong!