Anybody take day excursion to St. Barth's....

JNLROSE

Went to St. Barths on the Rich and Famous excursion with Royal Caribbean (Navigator) in April 2005. This place reminds me more of the caribbean than does St Martin. The downtown surrounds the marina and makes it easy to know where your at. We went to Shell beach there for a couple of hours which we all liked. Next time were there (Mar 06) were planning on heading to St Jeans and hit the beach there, suppose to be bigger than Shell beach.

Do remember the prices are alittle bit higher because of the euro. Just take some water with you if price is a problem. I did not think it was that much more except some of the clothing and food.

My daughter loved this place and she was 26 when we went.

Hi Dvert,

Thanks for the info. We thought it looked like a very nice & interesting tour & since we've spent several weeks on St. Maarten in timeshares, we didn't really care about staying at Orient Beach for the day. How long a ferry ride was it, about an hour? Was the ferry nice?

Thanks!

You know I can't really remember how long it took (maybe 30 - 40 minutes). I loved the boat ride over, the crew watches out over the passengers and if the water is a little rough they bring a cold towel around and offer it to people who seem uncomfortable. They offer water or sodas at no cost. The boat really isnt a ferry its a luxurious Hydrocruiser. The seats remind me of seat in a newer airplane.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just as an FYI, I just booked the St Barth's excursion through RCCL, and the price has gone up. When "browsing" the excursions through their site it's still listed as "St Barth's Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" priced at $66/person, but once you enter the Purchase section of the site the excursion name changed to St Barth's Luxury Island Ferry Service and the price is $82/person. (the description of the excursion is still exactly the same).

We still booked it but just wanted to let everyone know.

I saw that, but I just thought it was because we are on Christmas week. I still think it is the safest way to be assured we get back on time to the ship.

Not only the safest way, but I think one of the only ways. I believe the regular ferry service from St Marteen to St Barths leaves at 8am, which at least for my cruise, is before we dock in St Marteen.

St Barths looks beautiful though, and we've been to St Marteen/St Martin before, so we definitely want to go check out St Barths.

Beach Bar...

Same with us, been to St Martin/St Marteen twice. We are ready for something different. Kind of like St Thomas...it grew old so we now go over to St John. If I find anything exciting or a 'must see' I'll let you know. We know a lot of the crew on the Serenade...we will check with them to see if they've heard anything in the past. We'll be there just before you, but keep us posted if anyone tells you something we should know. :D

Nerak & BeachBar, looks like you guys are cruising this one before me so I will be VERY interested in your reviews! We've got 4 vacations to get through before this trip! :eek: (someone HAS to do it, right?) :rolleyes:

Anyway, please come back & post a review of this excursion! :D

Beach Bar...

Same with us, been to St Martin/St Marteen twice. We are ready for something different. Kind of like St Thomas...it grew old so we now go over to St John. If I find anything exciting or a 'must see' I'll let you know. We know a lot of the crew on the Serenade...we will check with them to see if they've heard anything in the past. We'll be there just before you, but keep us posted if anyone tells you something we should know. :D

I'll let you know if I hear anything else, and I'll look forward to hearing how you liked it and any recommendations you have once you've been there.

Nerak & BeachBar, looks like you guys are cruising this one before me so I will be VERY interested in your reviews! We've got 4 vacations to get through before this trip! :eek: (someone HAS to do it, right?) :rolleyes:

Anyway, please come back & post a review of this excursion! :D

Will do!

I will be happy to do a review when we return, although we do not get home until late January 2nd.

I emailed a friend on the Serenade, she is the head of the hotel desk, to ask about the St Barts excursion. Here is what she had to say:

I have not done this tour - its a popular tour and you spend the day there - We have had guests do a trip on their own and miss the ship -

St Barts from all I hear is wonderful -

..It does sell out fast and normally to guests just like you who have been to St Martin and want to do something different . If you can book what ever you want - do book it now

If you want to do something different I suggest the Dolphin Experience - I did it twice and it is so worth it - Anguilla is every bit as nice ( Dolphin)

I can't ask her anything else as she is leaving for a break this Sunday and I am sure she is VERY busy. She comes back in November if anyone has a question by then...and they will then be back in the Caribbean. It sounds liike the trip is popular so it is a 'must do'. :D I looked into the ferry to Anguilla for a trip on our own, but think we will stick with St Barts this time. I found an awesome website with virtual tours of all of the beaches....very beautiful.

Hi....we are booked for this excursion from the Mariner of the seas in mid October...The excursion sounds great...but I have not been able to find anybody who has already done it....

We have been to St Martin before and will be there again in February so we thought this might be a nice change...

I will do a review also when I get back....for those of you following...

Has anyone found out anything about tours while on the island or is everyone just wandering around...........

...I will do a review also when I get back....for those of you following...

Has anyone found out anything about tours while on the island or is everyone just wandering around...........

Great - I'll look forward to your review.

I haven't heard anything about tours while on St Barth's. I think we'll look around Gustavia and then grab a cab over to St. Jean and go to the beach there.

I've done the tour. I did it earlier this year. I don't know if there's much more that I can add that others haven't said. We didn't really explore the island only walked over to Shell Beach which was nice on it's own. It's very expensive there, one of the other people on the excursion stated that they paid the equivalent of $9 for a cheeseburger. The ride over was about 45 minutes. It's much quieter and a slower pace of life on that island than on St. Martin.

That still sounds like a great excursion even at $9 for a cheeseburger to me. The hustle & bustle of St. Maarten kinda gets on my nerves after so many times there, something nice & relaxing & NEW will be fun! I'm anxious to hear the reviews from y'all! :D

• 1 month later...
Hi....we are booked for this excursion from the Mariner of the seas in mid October...The excursion sounds great...but I have not been able to find anybody who has already done it....

We have been to St Martin before and will be there again in February so we thought this might be a nice change...

I will do a review also when I get back....for those of you following...

Hi, I'm assuming you're back. Hope you had a great cruise. Did you do the St Barth's excursion, and if so, how was it?

Anybody else done the St. Barth's excursion from St Maarten?

Hi Beach Bar.....Yes I am back from a wonderful cruise.....

We did the St Barths excursion....

First I have to let you know is October and November are their slow months so some of the businesses are closed......We did some looking in some of the shops....very high end.....

The Cheeseburger in Paradise....was open for beer but not for food till the evening so we missed out on the $9.00 burger...lol

The ride over is about 45 minutes....and we had a very rough ride over and a very smooth ride on the way back.....Lots of people who were pro to motion sickness did have a problem...But with that said.....we thoroughly enjoyed the ride as we like motion in the ocean.... I think it is just a fluke that we got high seas....Wilma was brewing around this week.....Did not really effect the eastern Caribbean but who knows......

We were a group of 8 so we hired a taxi van at 12.00 per person for an island tour...It was well worth the money...had considered renting a car...but when we saw how narrow and windy the roads were...sure glad we didn't.....The tour took about an 1 and a half....the driver stopped lots of time for kodak moments and would stop whenever we wanted....I would think if you wanted some beach time..you could arrange that too....We didn't....The island is pretty small and exclusive.....did not see too many locals around.....

There is a grocery store right on the main street where we bought bagguettes and cheese and drinks and had an impromutu snack at the pier as our ferry was a bit late getting back to pick us up...(one really good reason to do this tour through the ship)...

The island is beautiful and well worth the visit...it is very laid back and much quieter than St Martin....But in a way much cheaper...as I could not afford anything so I did not spend any money...lol

Hope this helps......any further questions...please just ask....Ellie

So Ellie, I am assuming March is probably booming there then?

Were there taxi's available for just 4 people for a tour?

Are some or any of the "nice" beaches in walking distance from the ferry stop?

Are there other little restaurants to have a bite other than the $9 cheeseburger? Your idea og bread, cheese & possible wine sounds wonderful to us, could you get that & possibly go to a beach for a few hours?

How long were you actually over there & did you have ANY shopping time in St. Marten?

Thanks!

Hi Rosie...

Yes I would assume March the place would be more tourists.....but it is pretty laid back.....did not see too much in the way of giant hotels around...

There were restaurants within walking distance of the pier....cant say about the beaches....we passed some in the van...but I cant really remember where they were in relation to the pier...Sorry about that....

The taxi's will take four...but because we were 8 we looked for a van....there were lots of taxis at the pier offering tours...

After we got back from our ferry ride we took a cab to town.....we had about an hour and a half to shop...plenty of time for me....and then we grabbed a taxi back to the ship.... you can take the water taxi too...but I felt the car cab was quicker....we got back to the ship in plenty of time...

Probably if you could find a map somewhere of St Barths on the net...you could find the beaches and see how close they were...and you could even just grab a cab to the beach after you bought your stuff....

It is a beauriful island....and I felt well worth visiting as not too many of the cruise ships ever go there....for us it was a break from the hustle and bustle of st Marten....

Have a great cruise...Ellie

Archived