Soda Package for One on NCL

riddle

For our November cruise my DD tried to purchase the soda package for her DH. Much to my surprise, she was told that the only way she could do that was to purchase one for everyone in the suite except her one year old.

I am not allowed for medical reasons to drink carbonated drinks, my 3 year old granddaughter has never had the stuff pass her lips so that leaves my DD and her DH.

She said no thanks, we'll just bring a case on board. For years my DH bought the soda package and I never had to get it. When did this change?

I called NCL myself and they said the same thing except "maybe the one year old would not have to get it". She then proceeded to tell me he "might" be able to get it onboard just for himself if he explains the situation.

I knew the whole cabin thing existed with the UBP but not with just the soda package. This is beyond ridiculous. NCL just lost money from the sale of a soda package which I am sure costs them pennies on the dollar.

Is this a widely known practice?

It's not beyond ridicules if you think of the abuse. In the early days you could take it to one bar and get a fill up and have 2/3 drink from it, but also in the early days they didn't have the thermal cups so you just went to the bar showed them the sticker and got fountain soda, then your friend took it and went to a different bar.

I get free drinks from CAS on every cruise I take. I could abuse that but I do not.

But...I have seen people told they cannot get more than one alcoholic drink every 15 minutes. Now what does an alcoholic drink every 15 minutes cost compared to a soda?

I just looked on NCL's site and it says nothing about everybody having to buy it. (the alcohol ones yes but not the soda ones.). Just buy it when you get on board . If there had been a policy change it would have been reported on here and people would have been howling about it by now. Me thinks you got some bad info. (the might have thought you were talking about the UBP not the soda pkg)

We've been on the BA twice this year and I got the soda package and my hubby didn't. No questions asked. UBP is a different story. We dont drink enough to warrent the UBP. We did get a package of several bottles of wine when we cruised with our kids last spring. That was worth it.

This is from NCL.com.

Adult & Teen Soda Package

$6.50 USD per person per day (Adults & Teens Ages 13+)

$4.50 USD per child per day (Kids Ages 3-12)

Package Includes: Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, Sierra Mist, Mt. Dew, Ginger Ale, Tonic water, Club Soda. Unlimited Fountain Soda. The entire cruise must be purchased and is non-refundable. Souvenir thermal mug is included in the purchase of the program. Children ages 3-12 staying in the same stateroom will be required to purchase the Children's Soda Package.

Applicable beverage packages must be purchased for all guests staying within the same stateroom for the entire length of the cruise.

Edited by darkprayer

This I believe ,is true....

I just did that very thing in August! There were 4 in our cabin...and I'm the only one who purchased it (I'm the only one who drinks pop). I just waited until I boarded and purchased it!