Luggage from one Queen to another

ichichi

When two Cunard Queens are in Southampton at the same time, what happens to a passengers luggage when he transfers from one Queen to another? Does he carry his luggage off the first Queen in the morning and then carry it to the second Queen in the afternoon? Or will the luggage be moved automatically from the first Queen to the second?

Cunard will take care of getting the luggage from one ship to another. When I transferred from the QM2 to QE the transfer was seamless.

I assume that you have to have everything packed in the suitcases? It differs from transferring from one stateroom to another stateroom on the same ship, where you can leave clothes on the rack and they move it?

I'll be transferring from QE to QM2 at the start of the 2016 World Cruise. It will be nice to have all that sorted for me.

That is correct. We had to pack our own suitcases for the transfer and put on the luggage tags indicating the baggage to be taken to another Cunarder. I seem to think that we had to have it out with all of the other passengers' baggage the night before leaving the ship.

That is correct. We had to pack our own suitcases for the transfer and put on the luggage tags indicating the baggage to be taken to another Cunarder. I seem to think that we had to have it out with all of the other passengers' baggage the night before leaving the ship.

The luggage has to pass customs.

When two Cunard Queens are in Southampton at the same time, what happens to a passengers luggage when he transfers from one Queen to another? Does he carry his luggage off the first Queen in the morning and then carry it to the second Queen in the afternoon? Or will the luggage be moved automatically from the first Queen to the second?

MayI suggest that you confirm this when onboard the ship. The replies that have been posted are not the experience I had in Jan 2013 when transfering from QM2 to Q.Victoria (at Southampton)

Cunardaddict is quite correct ,it somehow has to pass through HM Customs. Although you may be in transit, your luggage is being removed from the ship (not the same as onboard transit)

I had to identify my luggage in the baggage hall, pass through Customs (although I've never seen them at Southampton :) ) then see the luggage loaded onto a Cunard transport to be taken to another cruise terminal (Mayflower at the time)

I made my own way to the other cruise terminal for check-in after a day sightseeing in Southampton. The luggage was waiting for me on arrival in the cabin :)

I was wondering about customs also....but basically the luggage remains in transit. Not much different than having Southampton as a port day.

No exactly. The luggage remains in transit if it is not determined to enter the EU. So i.e luggage of QE from Hamburg to So'ton goes straight from QE to QM2 but luggage from a TA has to be cleared at So'ton customs by passenger. As fair as I remember on this rare occasions a transfer desk is open in the arrival hall of QM2.

I do hope Cunard has vastly improved this procedure for World Cruisers: When I -- and a few hundred passengers, many who spent over US $100,000 in fares -- transferred from QE to QM2 in Southampton, I -- as expected -- had to collect my substantial amount of baggage and take it through customs ... but then I had to have a porter -- at my expense and it was a good thing I had some British currency -- take it quite a distance to a parked luggage van [that was not outside the arrivals area but in the remote bus area] that was already quite full of bags ... it was then attempted to squeeze the remaining luggage on the buses that would take us to QM2 [but, naturally, it did not all fit and much luggage was left sitting unattended in the bus area -- with many passengers very upset at leaving valuables behind -- that somehow finally arrived on QM2 prior to departure].

Edited by yrrah

It's interesting to read everyone's individual experiences. My partner and I usually use self help to leave the ship, so for me not having to handle luggage down the ramps and to the taxi queue was a treat. Claiming our few suitcases at Ocean Terminal after our QM2 crossing and taking them and ourselves to the waiting bus for transfer to the Mayflower Pier for return to the States on QE was a cinch.

I had to identify my luggage in the baggage hall, pass through Customs (although I've never seen them at Southampton :) )

The only time we've ever had customs in Soton was when we sailed in on RCI. They had tables left and right and were going thru suitcases pretty thoroughly.

The only time we've ever had customs in Soton was when we sailed in on RCI. They had tables left and right and were going thru suitcases pretty thoroughly.

Believe me, customs are there, somewhere, watching you - even if you don't see them.

And every time I have disembarked in Southampton( quite a few times now!) there has been a visible presence, including earlier this year when several people were having their luggage searched.

Believe me, customs are there, somewhere, watching you - even if you don't see them.

And every time I have disembarked in Southampton( quite a few times now!) there has been a visible presence, including earlier this year when several people were having their luggage searched.

I've never seen them other than the one time and always enjoyed just getting the luggage and walking out. On the other hand, I wasn't going out of my way to look for customs so they could search me either. :)

When we boarded in May, I was very thoroughly body searched. Still haven't figured that one out since I thought I was making such a nice impression by being so well dressed. :D

When we boarded in May, I was very thoroughly body searched. Still haven't figured that one out since I thought I was making such a nice impression by being so well dressed. :D

It is less trouble to search people who are not suspicious....

This is an interesting question. We are transferring from Queen Vic to Queen Mary in Sydney on One World Two Ships option in 2015 and were told we had to make out own arrangements as it involves an overnight stay. After a few emails to David Dingle, we have now been offered free transfers and a free 5* hotel stay as it was not made clear in the brochures at the time we booked. I am guessing we have to take our luggage with us as we have to go through immigration.