Chef's Table review just of the Vision of the Sea

phnett

4th night we booked the Chef's Table.

Now I had seen this talked about on the boards, but no real reviews that i could find nor could I find a place on line to pre book this venue.

Not sure why??

However, I saw the advertisement in the daily compass for the venue and quickly ask Efren the concierge about booking this for us and cancel our reservation to Givonni's for this option. He did this no problem, and said look for the invite to come to our room with info for the Galley tour that same morning as the dinner reservations. Efren explained that the menu would be pre selected by the chef and each course would be paired with wines for one price 65$

Well worth the price!

We had never done a Galley tour so this was a treat for us as well. How they can make so many meals is amazing in it self. We also got to meet the Chef during the tour as well.

So the Chef's table event works like this:

On the day of the dinner you will get a invite to do the Galley tour:

and a Invite for dinner, to meet at the R bar at 6:15. Dress is casual, however my hubby and I dress for dinner so I had on a short but nice dress he wore a blue blazer and dress khakis no tie.

At the R Bar area we are met with a glass of Champagne by our host waiter for the evening Maximino Mondrangon. A well educated on food and wine Sommelier with a master in culinary degree " Maxi" is from the Philippines. He went took us then to the MDR, to a back corner room. one side of the room had windows and the room had a long table that could set up to 12 at it. There we also met the Chef Table Manager

Luis Pimentel from Peru.

The table was well appointed and had name cards at each setting for us, Maxi directed each of us to our boy girl setting. Not diss similar to what we have had at the Hotel directors table before.

After Maxi did his formal welcome and introduction on himself and what we could expect tonight, the chef came in. Courtney Han Skyers from Jamaica. The chef also gave a introductions of himself and his education and experiences that lead him to this ship as one of the head Chef's on the ship for this venu and for Giovonies

Through out the event, Maxi would review the paired wine and then the Chef would come in and review the course each one by one. Every course was wonderful one lead right to the next. They were not to large in size but by the end I still very full, too full to finish.

We started with : Confit of Atlantic Salmon. With pea puree, poached lobster tail with shellfish oil fresh fennel baby lettus and snow pea pods.

Paired with Bottega Vinaia, Pinot Grigio

Terntio, Italy.

Next course, Soup

Celeviac Cream Double Duck Consommé served with a

Toasted duck Confit Brioche Sandwich

Paired Wine: Michel Leon, Pinot Blanc, D'Alsace, France

Next: Seared Diver Scallops

on brown butter hollandaise , fried capers

Paired Wine: Allan Scott, Sauvignon Blanc, Marlborough, New Zealand

Next: Slow Roasted Beef Tenderloin

Artichokes puree miniature fondant potatoes, baby vegetables, Shiraz and shalllot reduction

Paired Wine: Greg Norman Estate, Shiraz, Limestone Coast, Australia

Last: Caramelized Pear over Nougat Montelimar Parfait

With biscotti syrup and forest berries

Paired wine:

Errazuris, Sauvignon Blanc Late Harvest Casablanca Valley, Chile ( dessert wine)

This was a spectacular event and worth every penny.

Thank you Maxi and Chef Skyers

Edited by phnett

Thanks so much for taking the time to post your experience. I have never read about this even and appreciate your doing it as I have often wondered about it.

Did you by chance take any pictures of the galley tour or at the Chef's table?

Thanks so much for taking the time to post your experience. I have never read about this even and appreciate your doing it as I have often wondered about it.

Did you by chance take any pictures of the galley tour or at the Chef's table?

I did not think to bring the camera for the tour,

But did for the Chef's table.

I have photos of each course and the Wine.

I am not sure how to up load those? let me work on it and I see if I can post those to this review.

I am not sure how to up load those? let me work on it and I see if I can post those to this review.

I look forward to seeing the pictures! Thanks! :D

Edited by JimAOk1945

Per Royal's site for my upcoming Vision cruise, the cost of Chef's Table is $95. Was the $65 a special? Or the cost difference from Giovanni's? But Giovanni's is only $20. Hence my confusion.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Forums mobile app

I am not sure either? was this the discount because we had 20% off for having other reservations for the dinner at other venues? or last night ?

great pics thanks for posting....

boarding Vision this Saturday and still undecided on Chef's Table considering we are both VERY picking eaters...:eek:

BUT we both do enjoy fine cuisine.....ahhhhhhh decisions ~ decisions......:)

From what I was told they use only 2 menus, one for Oasis class ships and this one.

However they did ask if anyone had dietary needs and one couple with our last night seating had eaten at the table the first night too, so the chef made them a special plates different than ours ?

Of the selections the desert was my least favorite. But I was also full.

I've always wanted to do the dinner but have wondered if I, as a single female, would be "out of place". Is it geared more for couples- possibly celebrating special occasions?

I've always wanted to do the dinner but have wondered if I, as a single female, would be "out of place". Is it geared more for couples- possibly celebrating special occasions?

We had one single in our group.

We were on the Vision Sept 1 and also did this wonderful dinner. We also had Maxi as our waiter when they did not have a chef's table and at the chef's table- I do believe they are giving a special price at this time. Maxi did a wonderful job. We paid about the same as you and was well worth it. It was reminiscent of this dinner on the Oasis class by doing this enclosed dining room. I would highly encourage anyone to try this incredible experience. BTW I do not eat seafood and very nice substitutes were served to me without any issues.

Fran

I doubt you would feel out of place. However, you could probably find others who want to go by checking your roll call.