International phone calls

kteg1752

Curious how this works. We have Verizon cell phones. Will we be charged per minute while making phone calls while at port? We are visiting St Maarten, St Thomas and Nassau. Anyone have info regarding how this works?

Curious how this works. We have Verizon cell phones. Will we be charged per minute while making phone calls while at port? We are visiting St Maarten, St Thomas and Nassau. Anyone have info regarding how this works?

I assume you mean calling back to the U.S ? St. Thomas is a U.S. port so that is considered part of your home calling area so no extra charge. Call Verizon and get a calling plan for one month for Nassau and St. Maarten and it gets you a discount rate. Once in St. Thomas you will see the Verizon logo you are safe to call.

I assume you mean calling back to the U.S ? St. Thomas is a U.S. port so that is considered part of your home calling area so no extra charge. Call Verizon and get a calling plan for one month for Nassau and St. Maarten and it gets you a discount rate. Once in St. Thomas you will see the Verizon logo you are safe to call.

I just called Verizon and was told I'd be charged $1.99 per minute to make calls. I'm not amused with them right now.

I just called Verizon and was told I'd be charged $1.99 per minute to make calls. I'm not amused with them right now.

I believe that is the rate for cellular at sea. They caught the word "cruise" and not the words "while in port".

I believe that is the rate for cellular at sea. They caught the word "cruise" and not the words "while in port".

though cruise and in-port are different and often confused, Cellular at Sea is $2.49 a minute. No plans or deals. You can make or receive calls on the ship while at sea just like a normal call.

ATT in some (all) of those countries is in the $2 to $2.50 a minute. Verizon is going to be about the same. You can find the exact rates and any LAND BASED calling packages at their website.

As mentioned, St Thomas is part of the US calling zone.

Edited by garycarla

St. Thomas is considered ROAMING while on Verizon (so is Puerto Rico BTW). It's 1:99 per min, but texting is free.

Look here for rates from the countries you will be visiting.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/tripplanner/tripplannercontroller

Edited by faeriedust101

St. Thomas is considered ROAMING while on Verizon (so is Puerto Rico BTW). It's 1:99 per min, but texting is free.

Look here for rates from the countries you will be visiting.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/tripplanner/tripplannercontroller

Well, I will be damned or something like that. Just went to that page and expected you were wrong, but it does say it is $1.99 a minute from the US Virgin Islands.

That is nuts. On ATT it is free. I would have lost that bet for sure.

Well, I will be damned or something like that. Just went to that page and expected you were wrong, but it does say it is $1.99 a minute from the US Virgin Islands.

That is nuts. On ATT it is free. I would have lost that bet for sure.

you and me both..go figure, but that site says Puerto Rico is part of the home plan so I would still call Verizon.

Edited by mommyto2girls