Insurance for your Cruise

trev71

This is one good reason to check if the travel insurance is "primary" or "secondary". Primary insurance will, if you ask them to, pay the hospital bill. If you get anything back from insurance you reimburse them.

Secondary insurance will have you paying the bill then waiting for your insurance company to either pay or issue a statement that it's not covered, as in people with Medicare.

Most people don't know that Secondary insurance is sometimes better!

Why? Because everyone's need are different and many things factor in the decision such as country and state of residence, where you are traveling, age, present state of health, other insurance you have, cost, etc. What works for one person may not work for someone else.

Um...I am not sure what you are responding to, but I asked the question "why", to a previously quoted statement. ;) made by packercruising. He said to make sure your flights are booked before you buy insurance. Our experience, whether purchasing travel insurance through our TA or on-our-own with Insuremytrip, is that we add the flight cost at a later time. That's only if circumstances warrant it.

We don't insure domestic flights because we know we can receive a voucher for future flights within a time that we can travel again. We do insure overseas flights because vouchers have to be redeemed within a year of purchasing...not the date of your original flight. It is harder to plan an overseas trip to replace one that we may not be able to take. Plus, the change fees are more for an overseas flight.

Originally Posted by packercruising viewpost.gif

We always buy Travel Guard. We have had to file claims twice and have gotten great service. Make sure to have your flights booked first.

Edited by Iamthesea

Um...I am not sure what you are responding to, but I asked the question "why", to a previously quoted statement. ;) made by packercruising. He said to make sure your flights are booked before you buy insurance. Our experience, whether purchasing travel insurance through our TA or on-our-own with Insuremytrip, is that we add the flight cost at a later time. That's only if circumstances warrant it.

We don't insure domestic flights because we know we can receive a voucher for future flights within a time that we can travel again. We do insure overseas flights because vouchers have to be redeemed within a year of purchasing...not the date of your original flight. It is harder to plan an overseas trip to replace one that we may not be able to take. Plus, the change fees are more for an overseas flight.

[/i]

Funny I though you were responding to:eek:
We always buy Travel Guard. We have had to file claims twice and have gotten great service.

I often book cruises well in advance. I have to purchase insurance rather quickly after making the initial deposit to cover pre-existing conditions.

What I do is insure for the minimum amount and add as I go along. When I book the air, I add it to the insurance and pay the increase in premium. Same thing when I make pre or post-cruise hotel, airport car reservations and final payment.

If I have booked a private excursion with a non-refundable deposit policy, I make sure I have enough insurance to cover that as well.

The insurance premium money is happier staying in my pocket for as long as it can :)

:D LOL

Kellie Poodle - The CSA Luxe doesn't need to be purchased until FINAL payment, and it covers pre-existing.

Yes, but it's secondary.

When my DH was in the hospital in Sicily, another woman from the ship was also in there. They had to charge their bill on a credit card because their insurance was secondary. We walked away because ours was primary.

http://www.allianztravelinsurance I have had good results with them. I learned to insured a trip myself though because buying with airlines they only give you a certain amount of coverage. You can do it yourself and get more. I had a death in the family when in Italy and it covered my airfare home but they charged me for day of flight price which was 1400 to fly home on top of my already purchased ticket. I got reimbursed for the hotel in Rome but that ate up the allotted funds. I lost out on my apartment and hotels that I had paid for and the trip itself. You can buy on your own and put down the full amount of the total trip plus medical. Just save every bill that you paid for.

Yes, but it's secondary.

When my DH was in the hospital in Sicily, another woman from the ship was also in there. They had to charge their bill on a credit card because their insurance was secondary. We walked away because ours was primary.

Many times secondary is better than primary. http://tripinsurancestore.com/blog/primary-medical-travel-insurance-is-not-better-than-secondary/