Princess out of NYC

KMVigs

I don't see it for a while, unless until NCL and RCCL move their ships out. Princess has nothing to compete with the Quantum or the Breakaway in that market (those are great ships for a high sea day itinerary).

The only thing I could see is maybe mixing one or two in with a canadian run in the hopes of selling as a B2B...

Don't look for any mega ships going past Quebec City. There is a bridge between Quebec and Montreal that only small ships can get under at low tide, ie Massdam for one. However that said Quebec City is a wonderful cruise city no matter whose ship it is.

NCL and RCCL have 2600 - 3000 passenger ship making regular Bahamas and Caribbean runs mouth of NYC. I was on the Breakaway last year to Bermuda, also NCL Jewel to Caribbean. Will be on Royal Princess next week to New England/canada. The mega-ships were just too crowded to provide the kind of service I experienced on the less crowded ships.

Interesting thing is that the Royal Princess is about the same size and tonnage as the Breakaway, but Breakaway carries nearly 4,400 and Royal 3,600. There is a market for Princess out of NYC on the full Caribbean run. It may be more a distance problem from NYC since it takes a little more than a full day to make the trip to Caribbean waters. Would love to see an itinerary NYC, Key West, st. Lucia, Port Canaveral, Charleston, NYC or some such combination. Could rotate ports on a 7 day run or even 9 days.

I wish Princess would have a full range of itineraries out of NY. We loved sailing out of NY on a transatlantic a few years ago. Wouldn't it be nice to add Bermuda, a decent New England/Canada cruise, as well as Caribbean and Bahamas cruises? We'd definitely be taking more cruises on Princess.

Added, Charleston would make a big difference for us. Love that city as a cruise port.

Edited by Grannycb

Gonna chime in in the hopes that Princess reads this and realizes the interest. Living on Long Island I would be inclined to cruise more frequently if they were offered. I am doing the repo on the Royal in a couple of weeks and love the ease of it.

Dana

Interest has little to do with itinerary scheduling. Follow the money: supply and demand.

If other lines are sailing itineraries and Princess does too, the market becomes saturated and the lines have to have sales to fill the ships. Princess can get better pricing sailing from other ports on other itineraries.

Show your "interest" with your wallet even if you have to sail other lines. If demand for cabins remains high consistently, Princess might be interested. If other lines have low prices or sales to fill their ships on these itineraries, Princess isn't interested. :(

Exactly. There is always interest. I would love Disney to come back to NYC. There was plenty of interest the last time they were there. Until the time came to actually book cabins, which they had to discount and therefore won't be back for a while.

Each market can sustain X number of cabins per week and the perception is that capacity is met by the current ships in NYC for those types of runs. Cabin bookings on the breakaway are bearing that out, too soon to tell for the Quantum because of the new ship design bump that has people flying in to NYC to sail.

More of a lurker then a poster - this one I have to chime in - :D We would definitely cruise more if Princess had more to offer out of NY!! Hopefully, Princess will read this thread.

Edited by smelmel

More of a lurker then a poster - this one I have to chime in - :D We would definitely cruise more if Princess had more to offer out of NY!! Hopefully, Princess will read this thread.

Ditto - more of a lurker than poster but I too am chiming in. We took the Caribbean 9 day out of Brooklyn for the 6 or so years they sailed. Beautiful itinerary and it was always a full sailing - to the point of getting move over offers. People from this area have been very vocal about wanting Princess specifically to come back with Spring, Summer and Fall round trip sailings. When I and others expressed this to Princess, we were told they make note of this, they hear it all the time, and that more people should keep complaining as they have been known to return to Ports when the demand is there. It's sad that we only have very short window to leave from this area if we want to go with the cruise line we prefer without having to fly to take the cruise.