Carnival VIFP Club Flaws and Improvement Suggestions

Whiskey60

Dear Carnival -

I am a loyal cruiser who has learned the tricks of the trade in getting price adjustments or room upgrades to save me money. In addition, with the help of my friends at Cruise Critic, I have learned how to smuggle alcohol onboard so I don't have to pay your high prices. I also rarely book an excursions through your excursion desk, as well, us experienced cruisers know that is only for suckers.

However, I think you should implement programs that provide us loyal cruisers with more free stuff quicker than your current system allows. Also it would be great if you gave us something like a pin, badge or special colored sign and sail card so all those who have sailed less than us can recognize us appropriately, as could your staff, as after all we deserve better treatment once on board than those cruisers who have only sailed with Carnival once or twice, and are likely paying more than we are.

Sincerely,

Entitled Cruiser

Edited by Badfinger

My opinion only, I think it is pretty "common" to get to platinum. When I now sail there are hundreds of them. Too many sometimes. On the Conquest this year there were 600 platinums on board. My last cruise actually had a letter sent for stating that tenders were likely to have waits as there were so many platinums and asking to be "patient". I am in agreement that Diamond should be where it is, but given the dinner perk more than once. :)

NCL is the same- a whole boatload of platinums now, and no where to go. :)

dear carnival -

i am a loyal cruiser who has learned the tricks of the trade in getting price adjustments or room upgrades to save me money. In addition, with the help of my friends at cruise critic, i have learned how to smuggle alcohol onboard so i don't have to pay your high prices. I also rarely book an excursions through your excursion desk, as well, us experienced cruisers know that is only for suckers.

However, i think you should implement programs that provide us loyal cruisers with more free stuff quicker than your current system allows. Also it would be great if you gave us something like a pin, badge or special colored sign and sail card so all those who have sailed less than us can recognize us appropriately, as could your staff, as after all we deserve better treatment once on board than those cruisers who have only sailed with carnival once or twice, and are likely paying more than we are.

Sincerely,

entitled cruiser

like :) :) :)

dear carnival -

i am a loyal cruiser who has learned the tricks of the trade in getting price adjustments or room upgrades to save me money. In addition, with the help of my friends at cruise critic, i have learned how to smuggle alcohol onboard so i don't have to pay your high prices. I also rarely book an excursions through your excursion desk, as well, us experienced cruisers know that is only for suckers.

However, i think you should implement programs that provide us loyal cruisers with more free stuff quicker than your current system allows. Also it would be great if you gave us something like a pin, badge or special colored sign and sail card so all those who have sailed less than us can recognize us appropriately, as could your staff, as after all we deserve better treatment once on board than those cruisers who have only sailed with carnival once or twice, and are likely paying more than we are.

Sincerely,

entitled cruiser

nailed it

I had my 9th in cruise in August 2013 with only one to go to be platinum. The program changed but carnival stated I was grandfathered in but had to take that 10th before the end of 2013. Things came up, couldn't go :( so now I start all over. After my upcoming 7 day cruise I will have 44 sea days. I know I will continue to cruise but to get to 75 sea days is going to take forever!! :eek:

I usually switch cruise lines depending on ports and itinerary. Haven't really chosen "the One" that I want to settle down with, yet. However, if I were working toward loyalty "rewards" I would enjoy amenities like use of a Keurig in the cabin or a little complementary wi-fi.

I usually switch cruise lines depending on ports and itinerary. Haven't really chosen "the One" that I want to settle down with, yet. However, if I were working toward loyalty "rewards" I would enjoy amenities like a little complementary wi-fi.

cruise Princess :)

Dear Carnival -

I am a loyal cruiser who has learned the tricks of the trade in getting price adjustments or room upgrades to save me money. In addition, with the help of my friends at Cruise Critic, I have learned how to smuggle alcohol onboard so I don't have to pay your high prices. I also rarely book an excursions through your excursion desk, as well, us experienced cruisers know that is only for suckers.

However, I think you should implement programs that provide us loyal cruisers with more free stuff quicker than your current system allows. Also it would be great if you gave us something like a pin, badge or special colored sign and sail card so all those who have sailed less than us can recognize us appropriately, as could your staff, as after all we deserve better treatment once on board than those cruisers who have only sailed with Carnival once or twice, and are likely paying more than we are.

Sincerely,

Entitled Cruiser

Again you are entitled to your opinion. I agree that there are many that go on the cruise are like what you are trying to describe. I for one am not, while yes I mentioned I am lucky enough to know and cruise with a couple that both have the platinum status and get to bum a bag of laundry every now and again I however still buy drinks on board, I bring on my 2 bottles of wine and I buy either 1 or 2 bottles from the Bon Voyage store to have in my room for before dinner drinks ect. We also still book excursions through Carnival and so does the couple who have hit platinum. Mainly because we like to do things on the islands and not stay on the ship or walk around and just shop all the time... THOUGH St. Thomas is our favorite to do just that.

I feel like the Platinum members here are getting a little too worried about the letter I wrote. I am not saying that they should lower the limits to Platinum I am just saying increase the ways to earn it. Even if they don't I still plan to hit Platinum the new way they have it now. Hell even if they gave 1 or 2 additional perks to the gold level I think that would make a majority of the people happy.

I didn't mean to ruffle all of your platinum feathers nor do I feel entitled. You are just making assumptions about myself or people who think the program needs a tweak. While they may be right for a few I doubt they are accurate for the many.

It's interesting to read all the opinions and suggestions here. The situation is there is no "right or wrong" to any of the suggestions made here. Bottom line for me is that I cruise because it is a good value for the dollar. Period. Is it nice to get free laundry for instance? Yes it is. But I'm not going to sail just because I get some perks. I just look at them as a nice bonus.

I agree with some of you that the newbies are what Carnival is looking for and that they spend a lot of money on the photos, shore excursions, etc. But I also think that Diamond members spend their fair share of money also. Instead of photos, we're putting more into the slot machines because we don't need anymore formal night photos...LOL!

My own opinion is Carnival made a big mistake in grandfathering people to Platinum. Like someone else said, there are too many people now at that level and the system is now inundated with Platinum cruisers.

Don't be in such a hurry to get to Diamond level and just enjoy the fact you are able to take cruise vacations. The one-time steakhouse dinner coupon and the one-time upgrade/3,4,5 cruiser benefit is all that you get that is different from Platinum other than the Diamond visit with the captain, etc. And both of these perks have a time limit on when you have to use them or lose them. The one-time upgrade is only good for inside to outside, and outside to balcony. Unfortunately, it's not good for any upgrades past the balcony level.

Once you reach Diamond, there is no other level above that so it isn't all it is cracked up to be. But again, I cruise because I love cruising, not because of any of these perks. And I tend to patronize Carnival because of their prices. I am always amazed at people who compare loyalty programs such as Princess vs Carnival and then complain about Carnival's perks not being as good. If you look at the price you're paying for Princess vs. Carnival for instance, you're usually paying more for that cruise in order to get those "nicer" perks.

I think that no matter what Carnival offers or doesn't offer, there are always going to be people who don't like the loyalty program. Just like there are always people who gripe about the gifts they receive on each cruise once they reach Platinum. There is never going to be that perfect gift that will satisfy each and every Platinum/Diamond cruiser. People should just look at those "gifts" as either something they can use, or something they can give to someone else if they don't care for the item. I agree, you can only use so many beach bags, but you can do like I do - give it to a newbie cruiser who is sailing with you. They are usually thrilled to get the item and appreciate the gesture.

Again you are entitled to your opinion. I agree that there are many that go on the cruise are like what you are trying to describe. I for one am not, while yes I mentioned I am lucky enough to know and cruise with a couple that both have the platinum status and get to bum a bag of laundry every now and again I however still buy drinks on board, I bring on my 2 bottles of wine and I buy either 1 or 2 bottles from the Bon Voyage store to have in my room for before dinner drinks ect. We also still book excursions through Carnival and so does the couple who have hit platinum. Mainly because we like to do things on the islands and not stay on the ship or walk around and just shop all the time... THOUGH St. Thomas is our favorite to do just that.

I feel like the Platinum members here are getting a little too worried about the letter I wrote. I am not saying that they should lower the limits to Platinum I am just saying increase the ways to earn it. Even if they don't I still plan to hit Platinum the new way they have it now. Hell even if they gave 1 or 2 additional perks to the gold level I think that would make a majority of the people happy.

I didn't mean to ruffle all of your platinum feathers nor do I feel entitled. You are just making assumptions about myself or people who think the program needs a tweak. While they may be right for a few I doubt they are accurate for the many.

"if they gave 1 or 2 additional perks to the gold level I think that would make a majority of the people happy."

What can I say?

BTW..I am not gold, platinum, etc. Only three cruises under our belt.

Edited by Badfinger

The current VIFP is not the best, but what it did do is stop the steady increase of an easy way to get to Platinum. There are thousands of Platinum cruisers on Carnival, me included and I did it the hard way 9 seven day and one six day cruise, and a fair number diamond and double diamond. One man on the Dream three weeks ago was triple diamond--615+ days.

You only have to attend the past guest parties in port cities like New Orleans and Galveston. In Miami, past guest parties can be small enough to hold in the back smaller lounge and sometimes in the large forward lounge. The sailings in Galveston and New Orleans have so many passengers who are from those states they need to have it in the forward show lounge.

I have 97 VIFP days and the odds of me making diamond are slim when I can only afford one cruise a year. If I won the lottery and did a 14 day back to back each month I would be Diamond in May of 2015.

If you mention cost, why not mention cruising solo?....

I have cruised solo seven times, so, personal thoughts are, I should have an additional 49 days credit because I paid between 150% to 200% fare, meaning I paid for two and got credit for one......

I have had a suite twice, so yes, I agree travelling in a suite should automatically get you double the days credit, and travelling solo at 200% in a suite should get ya 4X the days......I would be beside myself if I got 28 days credit for sailing solo in a suite. If this and double credit for suites happened I would have 160 days instead of 97...but that won't happen..

Perhaps more tweaking will be done in a few years and I will get the