Formal Nights

ammberlea

I am on Carnival Elation July 18 for my first cruise (!!!) and haven't had to really dress up in years - I live in scrubs - so I need your help! Would these be appropriate for formal nights?

with this:

skirt

and this for another night:

Pantsuit

Hope that worked...

Thanks in advance for your opinions!

The pants suit is nice. It would probably pass on formal night if you wore heels & great jewelry.

The other outfit is too casual, IMO. I'm also not too sure that the top goes w/ that skirt. I'd have to see them together, but I can't see it in my mind's eye.

Trish

I think BOTH are perfect. Dress them up with some jewerly. You will see a little of EVERYTHING on Carnival. Some people will be in sequins with up-do's and some will be in cocktail dresses and a LOT will be in outfits JUST like the ones you posted. You do NOT need to go out and buy clothes that you will wear for 1 formal night and never again or at least never at home. Both of these outfits are very nice and hopefully you could wear them for something at home too.

Trust me, you will not feel out of place. I have been on 8 Carnival cruises and I've seen EVERYTHING on formal night.

Enjoy your trip!!!

Thank you both for your replies. I'm so excited about this trip, I can hardly stand it, and it's still about 2 months away! I'll be a basket case by time to sail, so I'm trying to get all my ducks in a row now. I appreciate your feedback!

Here is my opinion for what is is worth. I like the pant suit. I agree with Trish that I don't think the top and skirt go together. The styles are very different and the top will cover some of the beading on the skirt. I think the top is very pretty and with a different skirt, swept up hair and formal jewelry I can see it working for formal night. I just would not pair the two together.

Disney Wonder 9/00

Disney Magic 9/01

Disney Magic 9/02

Monarch OTS 1/04

Disney Magic 5/04

I love the pantsuit.

As for the top I agree with others and not with that skirt. I like the capris they are showing with it but in another color. Is that formal night? I say yes on the pant suit for the 2nd formal night.. no on the shirt.

No longer cruiseless...donations still accepted! Miracle 2/2005

Last cruise

Sensation 2/17/03

Love 'em all! I'm sure no matter which nights you decide to wear them, they will be great. I also live in scrubs, so I had to do some fast thinking, too. I can appreciate your dilemma!

Lisa icon_smile.gif

Monarch of the Seas - 1994

Royal Majesty - 1996

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;5;9;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Until VICTORY is ours 5/9/04

<MARQUEE>A day at sea is better than any day at work</MARQUEE>

Ammberlea --

Please correct (or ignore) me if I'm wrong but b/c you posted links to web sites where you could buy these outfits, I assumed you were contemplating the purchase. I'm not a big fan of buying new clothes you'll never wear again just for a vacation. IMO, you are better off spending the money on booze. icon_wink.gif <j/k>

Aanyway, in case it wasn't clear. I liked all 3 pieces. I just didn't like 2 of them together. If you can do the top w/ a sexy bottom, even just black pants, va va voom! Same w/ the skirt; if you can do a simple top, with clean, simple lines, almost like a t-shirt, or even a t-shirt cut in a better material ---- wow!

On my last cruise we had everything on formal night: short, long, sequins, pants, cotton etc.

Just enjoy!

Trish

I love the pantsuit! Of course, I could never wear it. LOL As for the shirt and skirt, I agree that they don't look like they would work together. You have some good suggestions here. Hope you find just what you need and have fun! icon_smile.gif

bookworm2.gif

Navigator OTS 10/04

Legend 04/04

Grand Princess 09/03

Dawn Princess 01/03

Enchantment OTS 10/02

Destiny 01/02

Sensation 08/99

I'm sailing the Victory in 2 weeks and wanted to pack lightly for 5 people - Os ot cheezy for my 3 daughters to wear the same fancy dresses to both formal nights? They are 7, 4, and 2 which makes me think its ok but I dont want to embarras them (the 7 yr old) if it's in bad taste

IMHO, icon_wink.gif I believe the skirt to be way too casual for a formal dinner. For me, I would not wear it. The pantsuit, with nice jewelry and shoes might be okay. For myself, I like to wear a floor-length gown with lovely jewelry. DH enjoys dressing, too, as we both recall the days when cruising was glamorous! icon_wink.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=FFA000&cdt=2005;04;02;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

OUR NEXT ONWARD JOURNEY!

Take a moment to reflect ladies......

How amazing is it that Ammberlea was able to post a link to clothes she's considering for her first cruise and then getting opinions from others?

How did any of us go anywhere before the internet??? LOL!

It's just so awesome how the world has dramatically changed in so few years! WOW!

Ammberlea, enjoy your first cruise and with your buddies here, you know you'll look great! icon_smile.gif

Jane

kmd123, it's tough enough packing these days for one or two, let alone five! Your girls are young enough that they'll be fine in the same dress twice. Just like grownup women, you can change their looks by accessorizing. Hair bows is the first thing that comes to mind or little sweaters if they get cold in the dining room. I'm sure they'll be so cute that no one will notice anyway! icon_smile.gif

bookworm2.gif

Navigator OTS 10/04

Legend 04/04

Grand Princess 09/03

Dawn Princess 01/03

Enchantment OTS 10/02

Destiny 01/02

Sensation 08/99

Archived