First Time Carnival Cruiser (Liberty)

Tatka

Hello guys/gals,

As a result of change of the plans we had to book cruise quickly and avoid flying. The best possible cruise in our situation (and with the best pricing!) appears to be Western Caribbean 6 days cruise on Liberty. With Sunday - Saturday cruise we can drive to FLL.

In the past I've heard many less than good reviews/opinions about Carnival experience, but also that it's changing in the last years, so I hope for the best!

As you can see from my signature our previous cruises were with Celebrity, HAL and RCCL... We loved all of them. Each cruise/ship had own "+" and "-".

We usually value quality of service, food, overall ambience ... but I thought that my then 14 years old would probably enjoy more lively atmosphere that Carnival (Fun Ship!!! after all ;) ) can provide. We are also still on the younger side. I will be 34 and my husband 33.

Can you (and if you had experience with Celebrity and newer HAL ships a-la Zuiderdam it's even better) tell me about major differences between the lines.

What should I know overall?

and also maybe answer some questions:

1) Is there any kind of disco for the teens? (under 18)

2) Is there baskeball court. (at least a hoop) and ping-pong tables

3) From the deck plans it's kind off difficult to understand what is a main dining room.. There is Golden Olympian Restaurant, Silver Olympian Restaurant e.t.c.

4) What about dining times? We signed for late dinner, but is it 2 seating or 4 now? (as it is on HAL)

5) Is shampoo and other stuff provided in the bathrooms?

I would be extremely glad to get any information and looking forward to our first ever "Fun ship" experience. :D

(My English might sound weird, as it's my second language after Russian :o )

I think you will have fun on Carnival - especially with it being a new ship. We have been on 5 Carnival & enjoyed them all. They do have a teen disco & pretty sure they have a basketball court & ping pong. Also, look for a roll call for your ship and sailing date.

Thank you very much for quick response! :)

Keep 'em coming!

To be honest I am really excited.. we thought we cruised too much (4 cruises in less than 2 years) , but during last couple of months with nothing booked we started to feel cruise itch ;) !

Questions :

1) Do they provide robes in the inside rooms? (Not a big deal if not, will just have to pack our own)

2) I see there is Movie under the Stars ... What kind of movies/ programs do they usually show there?

3) Are pools/whirpools open late ?

Hi Tatka, it's me again. I believe you have to have an outside stateroom to have robes provided. MUTS is new so I don't have any info on that. It did seem that they closed the pools & hot tubs on the early side:(;

I ran across this thread - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=219818, now remember, this was on the Royal Caribbean board. I have done 2 RCI, but it was 5 & 7 years ago, and I understand that their service is slipping a bit too. Personally, I did prefer them, but I think if you can go with an open mind & not try to compare with Celebrity, you will have a good time.

We went on the Pride in June. We had a balcony room and an inside room for the kids. They had robes in their inside room. So with the Liberty being new, I would think they'd provide robes for the inside rooms as well. IF not, I'm sure your room steward would be happy to accomodate you with them.

Have fun! We're going in Jan. on her. Can't wait! Yes, check the Carnival roll call boards and ck for your sailing date. I've connected with someone that will be sailing on the same date. Always fun to chat with them and also countdown with them before we go....and then to meet them on board.

2) I see there is Movie under the Stars ... What kind of movies/ programs do they usually show there?

They show news/videos/shipboard programming during the day. A recent movie at night. Bags of popcorn are for sale for the movies. [Pools/most hottubs close between 8-10pm. One hottub stays open 'til midnight]

Archived