Transatlantic, Canada/NE surveys

SEFlyer

I just completed an online survey for Cunard which asked about preferences for TA and Canada/New England voyages. The choices were interesting and appear to give some idea about what Cunard is considering.

The questions on TAs compared 7 and 8 night voyages. There were 8 nights with no stop as well as 8 night with one stop in either Halifax, Boston or Cork. There were also TAs with choices of Quebec and Boston as the North American start/end as well as New York.

There were also Canada/New England itinerary choices that included 7 day voyages beginning or ending in Quebec and New York. There were also 14 night choices beginning/ending in Quebec or New York with 3 day stops in the middle in either Quebec or New York.

It was an interesting survey which I thought might generate some discussion on the board. Perhaps Cunard would like to read the opinions of CC members.

Sailing Southampton-Quebec-NYC would be appealing to me. As a one off of course. Perhaps Cunard will provide a variety of TA voyages in coming years.

I'd absolutely love to see one of the three Queens sailing Australia/Northern Asia outside the World Cruise season. Probably won't happen though.

Southampton Boston New York

New York Boston Southampton

Be OK.

But why stops only west side Atlantic.

Why not

Southampton Cherbourg or Le Havre New York

or better

Southampton Cherbourg or Le Havre Cobh New York

It not like those stops ever done before on crossing.

Total new idea of Cunard marketing.

Or am caught in time loop thing.

History repeats.

Cheers.

Edited by sfb

I received the same survey, but don't remember that on my version there was any 14-day option. Because we live in northern New England, having Boston as a start or end point would be appealing as it would be more convenient than NY. In the notes, I suggested that having Boston or Quebec embarkations added might make it attractive to Canadians and expand that market. I do think that adding one port for the 8-day transatlantic voyages makes a lot of sense.

I didn't get the questionnaire, but the boss lady and I were chatting last night about Southampton-NY-New England-Canada-Southampton. It was the best cruise we'd ever done and we'd repeat it again if QV or QE did the 2 day stop in NY again.

Going the other way around the loop would be fine by us.

However, I'm with Austcruiser84. A proper season around Oz and NZ rather than a whistle stop WC would be terrific.

My wife and I each received this survey and we are pleased that there may be more opportunities to cross to and/or from our own country. There were two crossings this year that called in Halifax although Cunard was not selling the Southampton-Halifax and vv segment. Cunard didn't encourage it, but they allowed a "deviation of itinerary" on request. We were two of about 30 passengers who disembarked the QM2 in Halifax in June. We have friends who were on the August crossing to Southampton and they reported that 13 embarked in Halifax. Embarking or disembarking in Quebec City is also appealing.

Next year there are three Transatlantic calls in Halifax (in addition to the usual cruise calls) but embarkation/disembarkation will still be only by special arrangement.

For those who are not fond of air travel, VIA Rail runs a splendid train to and from Halifax, although it runs only three times a week. There is more frequent train service to and from Quebec City. Fond though I am of train travel, the Amtrak train between Toronto and New York is a disgrace so we have found it better to fly that short distance.

We would love a TT that ended in Quebec or better still Montreal, expect too small a port. We went on a Seabourne to Montreal and then QM 2 back from New York with a break in the middle to visit family in Canada.

I am not alone in wanting direct from Canada to UK stops on the way would be okay

I would like the QM2 do one mid-summer cruise/crossing from New York to or from Southampton, that would call at Iceland, Greenland, and St. Johns, Nfld. for a bit of variety. Or maybe one that would call at Halifax and Liverpool...for the same reason. The latter example would perhaps allow a shorter transatlantic voyage (4 or 5 days?), without having to burn excessive fuel for high speed, for those wishing to minimize their time at sea for whatever reason....

We would love a TT that ended in Quebec or better still Montreal, expect too small a port. We went on a Seabourne to Montreal and then QM 2 back from New York with a break in the middle to visit family in Canada.

I am not alone in wanting direct from Canada to UK stops on the way would be okay

I agree TAs starting or ending in Quebec would be wonderful. I hope it happens!

But Montreal is not in the cards. There are Hydro Quebec power lines that cross the St Lawrence between Quebec and Montreal and they are much too low for QM2 to pass under.

I think Holland America can get their smaller ships to Montreal but not the Vista class ships.

I agree TAs starting or ending in Quebec would be wonderful. I hope it happens!

But Montreal is not in the cards. There are Hydro Quebec power lines that cross the St Lawrence between Quebec and Montreal and they are much too low for QM2 to pass under.

I think Holland America can get their smaller ships to Montreal but not the Vista class ships.

In 2002 there was a three-segment crossing of the QE2: Southampton-Quebec-New York-Southampton. I regret not taking the first segment.

Recently I read that one of the power lines across the St. Lawrence is to be raised to permit passage of larger ships. Although I can't recall the specifics, the clearance will still be too short for the QM2.

Yes, David, they are raising the power lines to help get larger ships to Montreal:

http://www.port-montreal.com/en/lignes-hydro-quebec-en.html

As the release notes the lowest obstruction will now be a bridge with 52 metre clearance. QM2 is over 200 feet high from the waterline so that won't work.

I'd love to see QM2 do transatlantic crossings from Quebec though.

I would like the QM2 do one mid-summer cruise/crossing from New York to or from Southampton, that would call at Iceland, Greenland, and St. Johns, Nfld. for a bit of variety.

I just finished a HAL crossing with a similar itinerary (started in Copenhagen and added Bergen, the Faroes, and a few more stops in Canada) and was told that this is HAL's single most popular itinerary, one which sells out many months in advance. So there is clearly a market.

Would probably have to stop in Halifax; there is a Cunard building (perhaps a museum?) right by the Pier 21 complex where cruise ships dock.