Is this a reasonable itinerary?

MrsKChicago

We'll be in St Maarten for 10 hours (8am to 6pm) in late October. I'm trying to sort out a rough idea of what we want to do, and make sure we're not missing out on anything big. I'm also considering doing one of Bernard's tours, but they cover some things we really don't need to spend our time on (we saw more than enough iguanas on our trip through the Yucatan last year, for instance), and I don't want to end up really enamored of a place and then have to move along. I'll be 5 months pregnant when we cruise, so I also want the option of saying "screw this, I'm going back to the ship for a nap." I may be taking this a little slower than average overall.

We want to see both sides of the island, with time in Marigot and Philipsburg to get a snack or light meal (preferably something local, if anyone has recommendations) and do a bit of small souvenir shopping and general wandering. Does 90 minute per town seem like it would work? I'm guessing we should do Philipsburg last so we can shorten or lengthen it and get back to the pier on time.

We also want to check out Maho beach, just long enough for a plane landing or two. I guess we'll have to time this carefully?

And I'd like some swimming beach time at another beach, maybe an hour or two. Preferably with calmer water, if there's some variation from beach to beach. We want to do some shore snorkeling on our cruise, but it sounds like St Thomas is better for that. Any opinions?

I'm considering taxis and buses. What's the transit time like from Philipsburg to Marigot? Basically, we're not afraid of public transportation, but I don't want to waste a lot of vacation time for the sake of saving $30.

Does this sound reasonable? Are we going to be rushing to get this done and get back to the ship nice and early? Or did I not schedule enough activities for our 10 hours? Am I missing any must see things? Thanks!

We'll be in St Maarten for 10 hours (8am to 6pm) in late October. I'm trying to sort out a rough idea of what we want to do, and make sure we're not missing out on anything big. I'm also considering doing one of Bernard's tours, but they cover some things we really don't need to spend our time on (we saw more than enough iguanas on our trip through the Yucatan last year, for instance), and I don't want to end up really enamored of a place and then have to move along. I'll be 5 months pregnant when we cruise, so I also want the option of saying "screw this, I'm going back to the ship for a nap." I may be taking this a little slower than average overall.

We want to see both sides of the island, with time in Marigot and Philipsburg to get a snack or light meal (preferably something local, if anyone has recommendations) and do a bit of small souvenir shopping and general wandering. Does 90 minute per town seem like it would work? I'm guessing we should do Philipsburg last so we can shorten or lengthen it and get back to the pier on time.

We also want to check out Maho beach, just long enough for a plane landing or two. I guess we'll have to time this carefully?

And I'd like some swimming beach time at another beach, maybe an hour or two. Preferably with calmer water, if there's some variation from beach to beach. We want to do some shore snorkeling on our cruise, but it sounds like St Thomas is better for that. Any opinions?

I'm considering taxis and buses. What's the transit time like from Philipsburg to Marigot? Basically, we're not afraid of public transportation, but I don't want to waste a lot of vacation time for the sake of saving $30.

Does this sound reasonable? Are we going to be rushing to get this done and get back to the ship nice and early? Or did I not schedule enough activities for our 10 hours? Am I missing any must see things? Thanks!

Taxi's are plentiful in St Martin.......but I would still contact Bernards and ask him about designing a private tour for your group with only the things you want to do.

The main reason is that traffic, especially in the afternoon can be horrible. If you are on a tour they will know how to get you back to your ship on time. The big planes come to Maho in early to mid-afternoon and that puts you a good distance away from the pier. The tour drivers know the plane schedules and can plan accordingly.

Not sure if this is your first time to St Martin, but be sure you do NOT use your cell phone as your clock!!!!!! When we were there last they still did not recognize Day Light Savings time and we saw a young couple who missed their ship because they used their cell phone. It was so sad because it was truly a "rookie mistake".

St Martin is our favorite island......enjoy your cruise!!!

Thanks for the time tip! I plan to bring a watch and keep it set to Cruise Time :)

I thought about a private tour, but it's just the two of us, and that's a lot of money for two people!

I agree a private tour for two people would be a lot of money. But to do everything you want to do means you will be going from one side of the island to the other, so by the time you add up all the taxi cab fares, it might not be so much.....;).

Still......not trying to talk you into anything, but keep in mind the iguana visit was very short on the Bernards regular tour and then we got beach time at Orient, a short amount of shopping time in Marigot (which was fine with me, it has hot that day...LOL), and then on to Maho where we got to see the BIG jets come in. We were back in Phillipsburg in plenty of time to do some souviner shopping before boarding the ship.

And best of all no worries about the traffic or getting back in time....

Whatever you decide to do.....I do hope you have a wonderful cruise!!!

Edited by GTO-Girl

Did you do tour #2? I haven't completely ruled it out, I just worry about the pace. It does seem to tick all my boxes. Were there lots of opportunities to get food? I'm finding that I need at least a bite every couple hours, and it sounds like you're not allowed to bring food off the ship, so I can't just stash a few emergency granola bars in my bag. Or maybe there's a store on the pier where I can buy a couple granola bars or something before we start.

I don't really mind being talked into things. I've traveled plenty, but it's our first cruise, so packing a whole island into one day is entirely new territory for me!

Edited by MrsKChicago

Did you do tour #2? I haven't completely ruled it out, I just worry about the pace. It does seem to tick all my boxes. Were there lots of opportunities to get food? I'm finding that I need at least a bite every couple hours, and it sounds like you're not allowed to bring food off the ship, so I can't just stash a few emergency granola bars in my bag. Or maybe there's a store on the pier where I can buy a couple granola bars or something before we start.

I don't really mind being talked into things. I've traveled plenty, but it's our first cruise, so packing a whole island into one day is entirely new territory for me!

You can get plenty of food at the beach, at Marigot and the Sunset Bar/Grill at Maho has a great burger! So no worries there.....

Everyone in St Martin knows Bernard, he runs a first class operation and his vehicles all looked to be new and well maintained. The first time we took a tour with them Bernard himself was our driver, but we have also had Junior and The Mailman......and they were all great!!!

Plus all the soft drinks, beer, water and rum punch you want all day doesn't hurt either.....;)

Edited by GTO-Girl

A tour is one way but you could have a nice day by taxi as well. It sounds like you want to get an early start on your day so let's say you get off of the ship and follow the signs to the taxi area and taxi straight over to Marigot. The trip itself is about 20 minutes or so at that time of the day. You will arrive in Marigot about 9 let's say. I would ask the driver to drop me nearest to the last flight of steps to the fort. It's a very short climb from there and you will reach the top in under 5 minutes. There is not much fort left but the views are lovely. Fifteen minutes is plenty of time there. There are steps all the way down right to the heart of the town and pretty much exactly the area that you will want to see. The market, Marina Royale and Serafina's bakery are all there.

If you want to see the views from the fort then 90 minutes will be fine for Marigot but 1 hour would be fine without the trip up to the fort.

There is a taxi stand right at the Ferry building where the Ferries leave for Anguilla. The traffic is a better since the new Causeway Bridge was opened so 30 minutes should get you to Mullet Bay beach which is the next beach to Maho. The only GUARENTEED calm beach is Le Galion on the other side of the island but I have never not been able to get in the water at Mullet and generally it is a lovely relatively calm beautiful beach. So if you arrive by 11:45 and stay until 1:30 you can walk the 15 minutes over to Maho beach and catch some planes coming and going. You can try to get a taxi but personally I would just walk it as its easier and its an interesting walk across part of the golf course and through the Maho entertainment area.

If you spend from 1:45 until 3 at Maho you can taxi back to Phillipsburg and spend the rest of your day there. My guesstimate is that it will take about 45 minutes ( could be 30 or could be an hour and 15 minutes depending on the traffic conditions). So if you arrive in town at 3:45 you will have until 5 pm before you will need to either walk back, taxi back or water taxi back to the ship. My suggestion would be to have the driver drop you in town close to the court house and start walking slowly up Front St or you can also walk one block over and be on the boardwalk. From the nearest area of Front St to the ship it's about a 15 minute walk. Just FYI Front St is a very long street.

As to the cost. We usually rent a car so it will be a rough estimate ;). My guess is $55 if you walk from Mullet to Maho and from town to the ship. Factor in about $8 from Mullet to Maho and $6 from town to the ship. Try and share a taxi to Marigot and from Maho as this will keep your cost down.

Enjoy the island and your cruise.:)

Thanks for the transit time information! Very helpful.

I don't need perfectly super calm waters, just calm enough to feel safe. I'm a decent swimmer, but I haven't done any pregnant swimming, so I have no idea what my buoyancy and such will be like, so I don't want to deal with unpredictable water. I've heard Maho isn't great for actual swimming in that regard.

Edited by MrsKChicago

Thanks for the transit time information! Very helpful.

I don't need perfectly super calm waters, just calm enough to feel safe. I'm a decent swimmer, but I haven't done any pregnant swimming, so I have no idea what my buoyancy and such will be like, so I don't want to deal with unpredictable water. I've heard Maho isn't great for actual swimming in that regard.

I have been to Mullet many, many times and when the waves are up you can feel the undertow. I have never experienced it to be unpredictable though. Baie Rouge on the other hand has caught us and others off guard on occasion.

Congrats on the baby. I think that Mullet will be a great choice unless of course there happens to be a storm that brings high seas. Fingers crossed :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, MrsKChicago,

We are almost in the same situation, my wife will be 5+ months at the time that we arrive in St Marten in late October. If we are going on the same ship, perhaps we could share a tour with you guys with Bernards? We will be on the Allure sailing out on 26th of October.

Hi, MrsKChicago,

We are almost in the same situation, my wife will be 5+ months at the time that we arrive in St Marten in late October. If we are going on the same ship, perhaps we could share a tour with you guys with Bernards? We will be on the Allure sailing out on 26th of October.

We'll be on the Getaway, sailing out on the 25th. I think we're in St Maarten on the 28th. Too bad, it would have been fun to have someone to tour with.