What to wear on NOT formal nights...

Okay, I'm having a dilemma. I have some fun Hawaiian print nice capris, a couple of nice, cotton, khaki-type material black and tan skorts (really do look like skirts), and I'm wondering if this is appropriate for the dining room on nights that it IS NOT formal night. I only have one sundress, and although I'm bringing it, I don't want to be dressed down for the dining room. The last cruise I went on was 8 years ago, and it was a short jaunt, so I did't have a packing dilemma!

Also, can we talk about footwear, too? I have a sandal fetish, but it leans more toward casual thong type of sandals. Always beaded or more fancy than just your typical pool thong, so I'm wondering if those little strappy things would be considered appropriate for non-formal nights, too.

Ugh...I'm so confused!

Any suggestions?

Lisa icon_smile.gif

Monarch of the Seas - 1994

Royal Majesty - 1996

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;5;9;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Until VICTORY is ours 5/9/04

<MARQUEE>A day at sea is better than any day at work</MARQUEE>

Lisa, I think from reading your previous posts, you have pretty good fashion sense. Don't stress too much about clothing, wear what you are comfortable in. As long as you stay away from too casual, you will be fine.

I liken the casual dinner experience to what you would wear when you are meeting friends at a nice restaurant. Informal to what you would wear as a wedding guest, Formal, all the stops pulled out.

You will see everything you can possibly imagine on your cruise. Formal will stretch all the way from Sunday school dresses to ballgowns. Semi-formal (informal) will be office attire to cocktail dresses. I've seen casual all the way from very chic to "what were they thinking"?

Have a very fun cruise, I wish I were going now instead of having to wait until August!

Kathy

Your outfits will be great for casual nights!

As long as you're not wearing jeans, sweats or really casual shorts and have some style and fashion sense, I think just about anything goes for casual.

I agree with Kathy. I've seen some of your posts and you'll be fine.

Quit stressing and enjoy that cruise! You'll look like a fashionista compare to some, and that's for sure!

Karen icon_wink.gif

Carnival Miracle 10/24/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ff00&cdt=2004;10;24;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Pretty much like the others have said...don't stress. On casual nights there is all types of "casual" attire. What you've described will be fine. Have fun. icon_smile.gif

Kim

Dawn Princess

Regal Princess

Grand Princess

Mercury - Celebrity

Windward - NCL

Monarch of the Seas - RCCL

Voyager of the Seas - RCCL

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;5;7;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0000

I like that! It helps a cruise virgin like me alot! Especially since I am trying to inform my husband and son who are jeans and t-shirt kind of guys what is appropriatte.

Originally posted by Happy ks:

I liken the casual dinner experience to what you would wear when you are meeting friends at a nice restaurant. Informal to what you would wear as a wedding guest, Formal, all the stops pulled out.

I think HappyKS hit the nail right on the head. Perfect descriptions.

I think you're plan sounds like a good one, imatarb. Nothing wrong with thong sandals, just wouldn't go for the "beachy" ones in the dining rooom.

lszu

Sovereign 7/99

Monarch 7/00

Vision 9/01

Voyager 9/02

Adventure 9/03

I'm truly addicted to little thong sandals, probably because they are so inexpensive! Anyway, most of them are a bit nicer than your average pool shoe. They are beaded and foo-foo'ed up just a bit, so I would feel comfy wearing them with a nice sundress or skirt/blous combo.

"Hi, my name is Lisa and I'm addicted to footwear."

Lisa icon_smile.gif

Monarch of the Seas - 1994

Royal Majesty - 1996

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;5;9;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Until VICTORY is ours 5/9/04

<MARQUEE>A day at sea is better than a day at work</MARQUEE>

What you describe is fine for casual nights, but not for the informal nights. I think the skort thing depends entirely on what you wear with them, but to be honest, I think they still are considered shorts and aren't really considered appropriate for dinner even on casual nights. But, I'm one of those who's a stickler for dress codes on ships and the one thing other than jeans they ask you not to wear to dinner is shorts, and to me, skorts are just fuller shorts.

Darcie

Archived