Insuring Choice Air

If you you book air with Choice Air is there anyplace to add on insurance coverage?

I plan on using RCI CruiseCare which no longer covers the Air. Yes I know about 3rd party sites such as insuremytrip, squaremouth, and the tripinsurance store.

Since we pay for our air at the time of booking, I just take out the insurance offered by the airline which is usually Allianz.

If you are purchasing non-refundable air, make sure that you make a copy of the page on Choice Air that states your flights are non-refundable.

Edited by cruisenfever

Since we pay for our air at the time of booking, I just take out the insurance offered by the airline which is usually Allianz.

If you are purchasing non-refundable air, make sure that you make a copy of the page on Choice Air that states your flights are non-refundable.

Patti, do you purchase the airline's insurance on the airline's web site, or do the Choice Air people offer it?

Edited by clarea

I booked Choice Air. And they told me insurance wasn't available. But if I had to cancel they would keep $175 and refund the rest.

It has been a hassle changing categories Choice Air has to do the changes, even though it is on the same ship and sail date.

Edited by rt1092

I booked Choice Air. And they told me insurance wasn't available. But if I had to cancel they would keep $175 and refund the rest.

It has been a hassle changing categories Choice Air has to do the changes, even though it is on the same ship and sail date.

What changes are you talking about? I've done five one way flights throught Choice Air, and I've always changed seats, as well as upgrading to say an exit row seat through the airline. Once you get yor airline booking number, go to that airline and do whatever you want. All changes to the cruise is done through my travel agent, at no extra cost.

What changes are you talking about? I've done five one way flights throught Choice Air, and I've always changed seats, as well as upgrading to say an exit row seat through the airline. Once you get yor airline booking number, go to that airline and do whatever you want. All changes to the cruise is done through my travel agent, at no extra cost.

I book direct with Royal. The changes I was talking about were cabin changes.

Thanks everyone for their help. It looks like I'll be booking air through a 3rd party that offers insurance. You'd think that RCI would offer add on insurance to cover Choice Air or independent booked air when using RCI CruiseCare.

Edited by FLACRUISER99

Thanks everyone for their help. It looks like I'll be booking air through a 3rd party that offers insurance. You'd think that RCI would offer add on insurance to cover Choice Air or independent booked air when using RCI CruiseCare.

Wouldn't it be the same if you booked directly with the airline? You would still be adding on insurance after booking your flights.

If you book your flights through Choice Air, you can still book 3rd party insurance through the air carrier that you select.

Wouldn't it be the same if you booked directly with the airline? You would still be adding on insurance after booking your flights.

If you book your flights through Choice Air, you can still book 3rd party insurance through the air carrier that you select.

The 3rd party sites that Yapta or Kayak direct you to have a check box to add the insurance during booking.

Only problem with doing that is you are not insured from the time you book on Choice Air until you book your insurance.

If you are talking about insurance covering your cruise portion, you are correct. That's why I take out insurance immediately after booking through Choice Air, even though I have Cruise Care for the cruise. Might be over insuring, but it sure pays off when you have to cancel prior to final payment.

http://www.allianztravelinsurance.com/aa/productcompare.aspx

Even if your airline offers trip insurance you can do it yourself with Allianz and get better coverage and many times cheaper. I use them for overseas flights often and the one time I had to cash in it was well worth it.

We always use Allianz and have been very pleased with them. When we had to cancel our cruise to Barcelona this past September it was prior to final payment. Our flights were made through Choice Air and paid for back in February. I had no problem getting a complete refund.