Currency Purchase

casamariposa

Is it possible to purchase local currency from the Front Desk on board ship?

HAL just exchanged my extra Kroners for $$ a few weeks ago while

on the Rotterdam so I would say yes.

That being said, someone will surely disagree. ;)

Mac

We have never been able to purchase foreign monies at the front desk. We have had them allow us to exchange it once or twice. I guess when they know they will be returning to that country soon they will do it. Can't say the reason just know what we've experienced.

HAL just exchanged my extra Kroners for $$ a few weeks ago while

on the Rotterdam so I would say yes.

That being said, someone will surely disagree. ;)

Mac

Although it is usually possible to exchange local currency for $$ as you did, that is not the OP's question. They want to get local currency, not exchange it.

In my experience local currency is very rarely offered aboard ship.

Depends on the currency too , I'd think. We saw people buying euros on our last trip. However even the desk clerk stated they had to use a rate that wasn't very favorable. On another cruise they ran out of pounds. Depending on what you need, can you wait just to purchase at an ATM at the port? We always buy a couple hundred dollars of currency from our large bank just so we have something in our pocket when we arrive at whereever. But any other local currency we get from ATM's .

Thanks everyone. I think I'll head down to the Currency Exchange at my local airport!

Airports offer the worst exchange rates. You'd do better at a bank. Unless... you don't care about rates of exchange and fees. I know some travelers don't and will just pay for the airport convenience.

Edited by eandj

Airports offer the worst exchange rates. You'd do better at a bank. Unless... you don't care about rates of exchange and fees. I know some travelers don't and will just pay for the airport convenience.

Yes, the rate is not good, but they will buy paper currency back, except for Argentina. We once made a profit when we cashed euros in. Convenience is important.

Karen

You can usually exchange for foreign currency at the front desk if you go early enough, but only for the more common currencies. Example: euros were available but kunas were not. The rates are very close to what a US bank would charge but the convenience is, in my opinion, worth the few extra dollars plus we did not have to search out an ATM when we got off the ship or wait in line at the ATM. The front desk will also exchange the foreign currency back again for US dollars, again with a fee.

You can also 'buy' foreign currencies from US banks, i.e BOA does this. We have used their service for a variety of currencies where we knew we would need local currency. So very convenient.

Edited by take us away

Thanks everyone. I think I'll head down to the Currency Exchange at my local airport!

Currency of the countries that you will be visiting on your cruise should be available at the Front Office. Exchange rates will not be great, but better than not having no local currency in one's wallet, in my opinion.

Seeing that you live in Florida, if you are a Chase Bank customer, check with them before you leave. I have often received foreign currency at a very favorable rate because of my relationship with the Bank.

We have never been able to purchase foreign monies at the front desk. We have had them allow us to exchange it once or twice. I guess when they know they will be returning to that country soon they will do it. Can't say the reason just know what we've experienced.

I've been able to get the local currency for every country we have ever visited via a HAL cruise on board, expect Rubles. But even then HAL helped out by have a local Banking Official board our ship to allow us to buy/sell Rubles. I expect the Ruble issue was one controlled by the Russians, as technically we were not even supposed to take any Rubles out of the country and they control their currency pretty tightly.

But the exchange rate HAL offers is not very good. If you have the oppertunity you'll get a much better exchange rate by using an ATM machine in the local country. Most ports I've been at all over then to have one someone near the docks.

Cheers,

Although it is usually possible to exchange

local currency for $$ as you did, that is not the OP's question. They want to get local currency, not exchange it.

In my experience local currency is very rarely offered aboard ship.

:confused: Sorry, it made sense to me or I wouldn't have posted. I was indicating that local

currency should be available because if they can exchange it, then

they should have it for purchase.

:( Everyone thinks differently I guess. That's why there may

be 1 question but a 100 different answers/opinions/suggestions.

Mac

Edited by MacBraces

:confused: Sorry, it made sense to me or I wouldn't have posted. I was indicating that local

currency should be available because if they can exchange it, then

they should have it for purchase.

:( Everyone thinks differently I guess. That's why there may

be 1 question but a 100 different answers/opinions/suggestions.

Mac

Little confused here, whats the difference in your mind between exchange and purchase. Both involve you giving one type of currency for another. Call it what you will, but I tend to use both terms synonymously.

Thanks for all the input. I can buy a minimum of $200 with a $10 fee added at my bank. However, I don't need $200 in Brazilian currency. I no longer buy a lot of "stuff" to haul home, but always find a small something worthwhile for special people. I travel with a stack of $1 bills and tip guides out of that. The currency exchange at the airport will sell me $100, and I won't get stuck with a lot of Reals at the end of the trip.

If you are a AAA member, you can purchase foreign currency at your local AAA office in advance of your cruise.

Or you can order it on line and it comes within a day or two. There are minimum and maximum amouts both for your total order and per currency... but it is an easy way to get small amounts for various countries..

Susan

I've been able to get the local currency for every country we have ever visited via a HAL cruise on board, expect Rubles. But even then HAL helped out by have a local Banking Official board our ship to allow us to buy/sell Rubles. I expect the Ruble issue was one controlled by the Russians, as technically we were not even supposed to take any Rubles out of the country and they control their currency pretty tightly.

But the exchange rate HAL offers is not very good. If you have the oppertunity you'll get a much better exchange rate by using an ATM machine in the local country. Most ports I've been at all over then to have one someone near the docks.

Cheers,

When we did our TA and Baltic cruise in 2013 I was able to obtain every currency I needed from our bank. They had Euros, Sterling and US dollars on hand and ordered the rest in for us, including Rubles. There was no problem getting the Rubles.

When we returned I was able to exchange the leftover cash for Canadian although I did hang onto the US dollars as we are frequently in the States.

Edited by sapper1