Turned down 2 free upgrades so far. Starting to see how the game is played.

Stockjock

This is a classic example of pie in the sky... and why you book the cabin you want when you book to begin with. Book what you want, when you want for a price you thing fair and don't look back.... Same with cars, TV's and other stuff.

You have pretty killed off your chances for a better room upgrade for this cruise and maybe for the future with this line.... you shot your self in the foot on this one but good. and it and all over less than $ 20-$30 !!

I can see it if it is $500 to $1000....

Upgrades are given many times to new passengers with the hope that they will appreciate the consideration for the action and second, be sold for future cruise on a higher cruise category.

Again your actions pretty much told the cruise line sales that you would not be a candidate now or in the future. I am sure there is a note on your name and account for future reference. Put your self in the same situation... and a customer hassles and hassles you, are you going to want him as a customer?

I would doubt it.

Your nickel and dimming on an already cut-rate cruise is not going to endear you to the line. Second if flags you as some one who in not going to appreciate better accommodations and is totally into price and uprades would be pointless...

I'm respectfully dismissing this entire post. To begin, there was an $80 price drop (per couple) on a very short, generally inexpensive cruise. And I think that some people would wish to take advantage of that, especially when competing cruises (1 day longer, similar itinerary, better cabin, leaves 1 day later from the same port) are selling for 50% less. If you don't wish to take advantage of price declines because it's "nickel and diming", that's your prerogative, but I think many will. And remember, it's not just about price changes in the here and now. It's about future pricing changes that may occur and one's ability to take advantage of further price adjustments.

I also think that some would balk at being moved to the bow of the ship, over the theater, to a cabin with a higher price point, thus again making it more difficult to take advantage of future pricing changes, should they occur. If that's not you and you'd be fine with this location, good for you.

Again respectfully, you seem to be missing the primary gist of this threat. That is, that generally speaking, these upgrades are not done as favors to the passenger. Rather, they are done to maximize revenue to the cruise line. Could there be some cases where someone receives an upgrade that they are thrilled with, or that is just being done "to be nice"? I'm certain that's the case, but again it's typically not due to altruism on the part of the cruise line.

BTW, I did ultimately follow the suggestion of another member and label the reservation as "meta upgrade only". So, they can move me to a better category such as OV to balcony, balcony to Mini-Suite, etc, but not to some neutral or inferior cabin, that happens to be selling at a higher price point, and call it an "upgrade".

And are the cruiselines somehow tracking those who "shoot themselves in the foot" by declining "upgrades"? (How *dare* that ingrate refuse our upgrade to the bow!). I seriously doubt that. Again, it's (almost) all about maximum revenue to the cruise line and if it makes business sense to move a passenger, they will surely do so.

Edited by Stockjock

I'm respectfully dismissing this entire post. To begin, there was an $80 price drop (per couple) on a very short, generally inexpensive cruise. And I think that some people would wish to take advantage of that, especially when competing cruises (1 day longer, similar itinerary, better cabin, leaves 1 day later from the same port) are selling for 50% less. If you don't wish to take advantage of price declines because it's "nickel and diming", that's your prerogative, but I think many will. And remember, it's not just about price changes in the here and now. It's about future pricing changes that may occur and one's ability to take advantage of further price adjustments.

I also think that some would balk at being moved to the bow of the ship, over the theater, to a cabin with a higher price point, thus again making it more difficult to take advantage of future pricing changes, should they occur. If that's not you and you'd be fine with this location, good for you.

Again respectfully, you seem to be missing the primary gist of this threat. That is, that generally speaking, these upgrades are not done as favors to the passenger. Rather, they are done to maximize revenue to the cruise line. Could there be some cases where someone receives an upgrade that they are thrilled with, or that is just being done "to be nice"? I'm certain that's the case, but again it's typically not due to altruism on the part of the cruise line.

BTW, I did ultimately follow the suggestion of another member and label the reservation as "meta upgrade only". So, they can move me to a better category such as OV to balcony, balcony to Mini-Suite, etc, but not to some neutral or inferior cabin, that happens to be selling at a higher price point, and call it an "upgrade".

And are the cruiselines somehow tracking those who "shoot themselves in the foot" by declining "upgrades"? (How *dare* that ingrate refuse our upgrade to the bow!). I seriously doubt that. Again, it's (almost) all about maximum revenue to the cruise line and if it makes business sense to move a passenger, they will surely do so.

You missed my point

Pick the cabin and the price that you like and live with it... To do otherwise is only opening you for a frustration. There will always be cheaper, deals and the like... My point is at some point you picked a cruise and a price that attracted you and took the deal. Just like buying a car or a airline seat... you can't go back the next day and re-open the deal.

My comments were also derived from the amount was so small and put the cruise agents through a way too difficult and time consuming exercise costing them way more in than they would ever profit from. My point as if you were a merchant want to have a customer who was as difficult to deal with. It seemed by your post you came across to Princess as a difficult and demanding customer.... I don't know you understood that's how you may have come across .

You can catch far more benefits by being low key and a can you help me please...

I would also suggest going with higher quality cruises that deal with different demographics... and don't play price/fire/flash/ fill the ship discount customers.

To et better you need to sail better..... You do get what you pay for and at the rock bottom end of the spectrum you don'tget much as you found .

Good Luck....

You missed my point

Pick the cabin and the price that you like and live with it... To do otherwise is only opening you for a frustration. There will always be cheaper, deals and the like... My point is at some point you picked a cruise and a price that attracted you and took the deal. Just like buying a car or a airline seat... you can't go back the next day and re-open the deal.

My comments were also derived from the amount was so small and put the cruise agents through a way too difficult and time consuming exercise costing them way more in than they would ever profit from. My point as if you were a merchant want to have a customer who was as difficult to deal with. It seemed by your post you came across to Princess as a difficult and demanding customer.... I don't know you understood that's how you may have come across .

You can catch far more benefits by being low key and a can you help me please...

I would also suggest going with higher quality cruises that deal with different demographics... and don't play price/fire/flash/ fill the ship discount customers.

To et better you need to sail better..... You do get what you pay for and at the rock bottom end of the spectrum you don'tget much as you found .

Good Luck....

I did pick a cruise and price that I could live with. But...I was certainly aware that prices would probably drop (they did) and I wished to take advantage of that, should it occur. Doesn't seem too unusual to me and I'm guessing they receive pricing inquiries many thousands of times per day and don't consider those requests as being from people who are "difficult". Everyone is looking out for their best interests, the cruise line and the passengers. I'm sure that they get that.

And certainly, I was "low key" about the requests. Just stated what I was after. I think folks should be their own advocates, but anyone who doesn't wish to, well that's their business of course.

Edited by Stockjock

Helen, you are absolutely correct about the cabin configuration being the reason you're not getting upgrade notices. I am a retired travel agent of 20 years experience, and I know that if I had difficulty placing clients needing opposing, connecting, or quad staterooms, I could phone Princess directly, explain the situation, and as if by magic, an option would suddenly appear, usually in just a couple of minutes. What happened? Someone got an automatic upgrade. I know most people wouldn't mind that in this situation; I do think Princess should be more open about the possibility of things like this happening. Knowing this won't solve your dilemma, but I'm pretty sure that the stateroom proximity is more important to you than a miniscule upgrade that you would likely never even notice!

Thanks for confirming my thought! It had never occurred to me before. I had just assumed that we were unlucky with upgrades. I guess when my kids are off at university and my husband and I start traveling without them, I'll have to change my mindset... ;)