Cruising during chemo?

ClassyGame

Hey all! I'm wondering if anyone on here has had experience cruising in between chemo treatments. For one, did your oncologist allow it? And if so, what was your experience like onboard? Any tips or advice you can offer? Did you notify anyone with the cruise line staff ahead of time?

I was diagnosed with Hodgkin's lymphoma a few weeks ago, and had booked a November cruise months prior. Obviously I need to talk to my oncologist about this, and I fully plan on doing so next time I see her, but in the meantime I'm curious to know what others' experiences were.

Oh, and NCL is the cruise line. :)

Edited by ClassyGame

I am so sorry to hear of you diagnoses. my husband had colon cancer and we cruised 7 times while he was on chemo. he received chemo every two

weeks so we would try to cruise the second week. we always had our doctor's

blessing.

you need to be careful with the heat and sun. you also must hydrate- that is very important. get lots of rest.

be sure and bring a copy of your chemo drugs and any other meds you are taking. make sure you bring your meds that you are taking (bring a few extra you never know when you might be delayed somewhere.)

I say go (if doc approves) and have a great time

Hey all! I'm wondering if anyone on here has had experience cruising in between chemo treatments. For one, did your oncologist allow it? And if so, what was your experience like onboard? Any tips or advice you can offer? Did you notify anyone with the cruise line staff ahead of time?

I was diagnosed with Hodgkin's lymphoma a few weeks ago, and had booked a November cruise months prior. Obviously I need to talk to my oncologist about this, and I fully plan on doing so next time I see her, but in the meantime I'm curious to know what others' experiences were.

Whether or not the Oncologist will OK travel is dependent on each persons situation so it doesn't matter what the response is from other CC members. Assuming that the cruise is next month and not knowing when your next Doctor visit is you might want to consider call his/her office ASAP. Though I didn't have chemo only radiation what it's worth when going through Breast Cancer my doctors didn't approve travel until everything was completed.

You are not obligated to notify the Cruise Line of your medical condition since it does not pose a threat to other passengers. In fact it's not recommended to do so as the Cruise Line has the right to possibly deny you boarding.

Tips - Depending on your energy levels and whether the chemo has taken a toll on your walking you may want to consider renting a mobility scooter. Follow the tips that Mutsy previously posted above.

Oddly enough my Best friend and I went through BC at the same time. As soon as treatment was over we went on cruise together to celebrate life and just relax. Didn't care if were ever got off the ship we just wanted to relax.

Good thought and prayers are going out to you !

Edited by xxoocruiser

I would also say go

Took my mum through her cancer but she didn't take chemo

Make sure you take plenty of drugs including pain killers and extra nausea

Have fun

Make sure you let the line know

They will help any way they can

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Every chemo is different. It is going to be highly dependent on what drugs you are being administered. During my chemo there is absolutely no way I could have done a cruise, the combination was to lethal. I however was allowed to do a little bit of short distance travel. Other factors to consider are side effects, the further you are into treatment the worse they get (ie nausea, upset stomach, fatigue, low immunity etc).

I have leiomyosarcoma in stage 4. I am in treatment for whatever is left of my life. With my current meds (in on an inhibitor currently) I can travel but we usually take a small break from treatment for it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Edited by sherilyn70

• 2 weeks later...

I just got off chemo last year for colon cancer. You will know more by Nov. but there is no way I even wanted to "THINK" about cruising , even if they gave me the ship! There are so many different kinds of chemo so you must only use YOUR and your DOCYOR's judgment! Good luck to you in your journey and many Blessings to you.