Temple Wear

The Captain90

Doing a few Princess Shore Excursions in Asia. Note that we will be visiting a few Temples on these and guidelines state arms, shoulders and legs must be covered.

No problems with this (when in Rome etc). Being hot weather whilst we are there I can carry a long sleeve shirt to cover shoulders and arms but if I can avoid it don't want to wear long pants and they would be a pain to carry and put on at the appropriate time.

How do others get around this?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Doing a few Princess Shore Excursions in Asia. Note that we will be visiting a few Temples on these and guidelines state arms, shoulders and legs must be covered.

No problems with this (when in Rome etc). Being hot weather whilst we are there I can carry a long sleeve shirt to cover shoulders and arms but if I can avoid it don't want to wear long pants and they would be a pain to carry and put on at the appropriate time.

How do others get around this?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Google: zip off pants leg

long flowing skirt of light weight material is cool and comfortable. I usually do not wear shorts of any kind touring. Sunburn, sitting on walls or weather-worn benches or sticky plastic seats is yucky without a layer of cloth, bug bites in the early evening (health alert!) and just the fact that in most cultures women are expected to be more modest are among the reasons. Light weight pants or flowing pants or skirts is the way to go. Long and loose -- sort of the opposite of our tight and short or hang out look. Look at the pictures of people who live in hot desert areas -- fully clothed and every part of skin is covered. In Viet Nam particularly and probably others (Thailand comes to mind), women wear hats, gloves, long sleeves, scarves and long skirt or pants. It is considered to be ugly to have dark skin and wrinkled skin from sun exposure and this self imposed standard of beauty is stronger than any rule about entering temples!!

IMHO you will need to have skin covered when you are out of your room to fit in with the culture and to protect yourself from sun, dirt, bugs and stares. If you wear normal summer looking tank tops and shorts, you mark yourself as a tourist even more than usual. I don't handle heat at all well and turn very very red. Never heard if red is considered "ugly" but I do know many guides wondered if I should be heading to the hospital!!:eek:

Oh my! Yes you look like a tourist pretty much no matter what you wear and even if you keep your mouth shut! Guides tell me it is how we walk and hold our bodies. The attitude of freedom many call it. Sort of a brashness and boldness and attitude of this is my world. Other countries can be "pegged" also and if Americans are mixed up with anybody it is probably the Auzzies who are also know to be free and open and full of attitude. Of course each person has their own stripe of this attitude thing. I was amazed by a Chinese chemistry professor that visited us in our home and we took him to a very crowded Washington DC national mall. He could tell a Korean from a Chinese from a Japanese without even a close look or seeing a face for clues. They walk different and act different said our friend. A variation on what I commented on from guides we have known.

And here I thought it was the white tennis shoes. :D