Cheap parking long beach

wr813

Are there any cheaper options than the $17 a day parking at the port?

Not really...

Even parking at Long Beach Airport is $17-19 per day...

There aren't a lot of inexpensive long term parking lots anywhere near Long Beach Carnival Terminal...

Theoretically, you could, say, park at San Pedro for $12 per day...but it would be somewhat inconvenient and you'd more than spend the savings in taxi fare there and back...

Your other option would be the various hotels...Some offer Stay 'n' Cruise rates--book a room for one night pre cruise and they will let you leave your car parked in their lot during the week. The Maya Doubletree is pretty much walking distance (or free shuttle) from the Carnival pier--and they often offer as Stay and Cruise rate for as low as $99...Parking for a seven night cruise would be $119...So, when you add taxes to the hotel rate, it's pretty close...

So, if you can get that rate, just drive in the day before your cruise, get a relaxing night's sleep at the Maya...and an easy ride over to the ship in the morning...It sort of extends your vacation for an additional day...without really adding to the cost...

Depending where you are coming from, you can take the Metro Red Line and then the Blue Line from Union Station to Long Beach. Then hop on the Long Beach Passport bus.

Parking at Union Station is $6/day (park at the Patsaouras Transit Center - 801 N. Vignes Street). The Metro is $2 + $1 for a TAP card (if you don't already have one). The Passport bus is free.

We do this on cruises less than a week and each of us only has a 22" or smaller suitcase and a tote/backpack.

Depending where you are coming from, you can take the Metro Red Line and then the Blue Line from Union Station to Long Beach. Then hop on the Long Beach Passport bus.

Parking at Union Station is $6/day (park at the Patsaouras Transit Center - 801 N. Vignes Street). The Metro is $2 + $1 for a TAP card (if you don't already have one). The Passport bus is free.

We do this on cruises less than a week and each of us only has a 22" or smaller suitcase and a tote/backpack.

Personally, I would never do this...

In order to save about $70 (difference between LB parking fees and Union Station parking fees plus transit costs for two), you are giving up the convenience of driving direct in relatively short time for:

1) Dealing with driving in and out of Downtown LA

2) Waiting around at Union Station, the 7th Street transit station and the Long Beach Transit Mall WITH your luggage waiting for the next train or bus on the schedule

3) Taking a LONG time to get from wherever home is to the port including many stops along the way

4) Dealing with your luggage on and off of trains and buses...

Is it really worth all that to save $70?

How much is your time worth? Convenience?

Personally, I would never do this...

In order to save about $70 (difference between LB parking fees and Union Station parking fees plus transit costs for two), you are giving up the convenience of driving direct in relatively short time for:

1) Dealing with driving in and out of Downtown LA

2) Waiting around at Union Station, the 7th Street transit station and the Long Beach Transit Mall WITH your luggage waiting for the next train or bus on the schedule

3) Taking a LONG time to get from wherever home is to the port including many stops along the way

4) Dealing with your luggage on and off of trains and buses...

Is it really worth all that to save $70?

How much is your time worth? Convenience?

1)We always plan on getting to Union Station by 10:30, thus avoiding rush hour.

2) Did you know that a lot of people have luggage with them at Union Station?:rolleyes: We have never waited more than 5 minutes for a red and blue line train.

3) From Union Station to Long Beach is less than 1 hour. Add about 15 minutes for the free bus.

4) Getting the luggage on and off the trains is easy. Just roll the bag behind you and it goes right over the gap between the train car and the platform. Yes, getting the luggage up the 2 steps on the Passport bus is not easy, but my 75 year old mom has no problems.

Again, the OP is asking for options. Also, to some people, $70 is a lot of money.

Are there coupons or discount codes somewhere for the Hotel Maya? I am not finding anything less that $349. +tax. I am interested in 1 nights stay and parking for a 7 night cruise.

Found this post over on the Carnival Funville site. The Residence Inn is next to the Maya.

"If you're going to be going on any Carnival Cruise out of San Pedro/Long Beach, the Residence Inn Downtown Long Beach (562-495-0700) has a terrific Stay Sail & Park Package. Let me tell you about a trick in the booking process. The rooms will be advertised for only three people or less. I was told just to book the room as normal (from the hotel staff - not the reservations department) and bring my wife and two children with me. The hotel also provides a continental breakfast the morning of your departure.

We are going on a 15 day cruise to Hawaii and my family and I only needed to pay for one night lodging (prices for the hotel rooms start at about $149 per night). The car will be there for 15 days free of charge. Another words, there is no limitation on how long your car stays there provided you're going on a Carnival Cruise. The hotel requires your booking confirmation print out from the Carnival website as verification"

Here is what I came up with. Got a rental car from LAX, hotel in north Hollywood the night before the cruise(I know a little far from long beach but we can see some sights as we never have been to California before). Going to drop the car off at Long beach downtown the next morning and take a taxi or trolly to the pier. Cost of rental car one way was $58. This gives us freedom the night before.

To get back to LAX, we rented a car from Avis Long Beach downtown. $38 total only. Flight is at about 3:30 pm so we can drive back to LAX from Long Beach and stop and have a Sushi lunch before heading back to the airport. Thanks everyone for your input.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I booked directly on the hotel website in December for our January cruise. Used the code above in the "Corp account" box and was given the following option:

Carnival Park&Stay

P41- CARNIVAL CRUISE PARK & STAY Jan-Mar 2013:$120 April-Sep 2013... Rate Details

$129

There was also a separate rate for Carnival crew using P51 rather than P41 for passengers.

Some other threads suggest calling the hotel and simply ask for the Carnival stay and park rate.

• 1 year later...

Thanks for offering this suggestion! I'm thinking about doing this since I'm close to Union Station.

From the Blue Line which is the correct exit?

-Downtown Long Beach

-Pacific Avenue

Passport Bus-there are 5 stops:

-3rd at Promenade

-Ocean at Pacific

-Shoreline Village

-Aquarium of the Pacific

-Queen Mary

From the Metro do I get on at Ocean at Pacific and then exit Queen Mary?

Thanks in advance!

Here are a few alternative lots that allow overnight parking. Once you park you can take the PASSPORT bus from 3rd at Promenade to Queen Mary (right next to Carnival terminal).

*When I say "Distance" I mean how far/long does it take to walk from the parking lot to the 3rd at Promenade stop

City Place A

50 E 6th St

Type:

Outdoor Lot

Self-park

(attended)

Distance:

0.3 mi / 8 min

Cost/Day:

$12

Payment:

Cash

Visa/MC

Link:

http://longbeach.parkingguide.com/downtown-parking-garages-and-lots/city-place-a-50-e-6th-st-parking/

City Place B

50 E 5th St

Type:

Outdoor Lot

Self-park

(attended)

Distance:

0.3 mi / 7 min

Cost per day:

$12

Payment:

Cash

Visa/MC

Link:

http://longbeach.parkingguide.com/downtown-parking-garages-and-lots/city-place-b-50-e-5th-st-parking/

City Place C

50 E 3rd St

Type:

Outdoor Lot

Self-park

(attended)

Distance:

397 ft / 1 min

Cost per day:

$12

Payment:

Cash

Visa/MC

Link:

http://longbeach.parkingguide.com/downtown-parking-garages-and-lots/city-place-c-50-e-3rd-st-parking/

Civic Parking Garage

332 W Broadway

Type:

Indoor Garage

Self-park

(attended)

Distance:

0.3 mi / 7 min

Cost per day:

$10

Payment:

Cash

Visa/MC

Link:

http://longbeach.parkingguide.com/downtown-parking-garages-and-lots/civic-parking-garage-parking/

You can call the SP+ (Central Parking) @ 562.570.8055 for further details.

We're planning on doing this for our next sailing. Hope this was helpful!

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
The parking situation is frustrating. I dont see a good way around it. Is there a way on Cruise Critic to find others who are driving to the LA terminal from where I live (Ventura County) and might like to car-pool?

Not easy, but your best shot would be to go to the "Roll Call" thread for your sailing and ask...