increased cabin temperatures

camarowesley

So far I've had no problems with the AC on the ships I've been on-- Triumph in an ocean view (2012) and balcony (2013) then Elation in a ocean view (2013).

However we have an inside on the Dream next month and I'm a bit worried after reading numerous postings about warm rooms on it and other ships. We will be taking a fan just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We just sailed Liberty, and I can assure you cabin 9233 will probably cause you to lose weight via sweat bath! The temperature guy cam in with his digital readout - it was 78.8 deg. He agreed that was above standard, but nothing was ever done about it. The special down comforter spent the better part of the cruise on the floor! Preparing complaint as we speak. Sweat running thru my hair all night does not make for a happy camper. Out of 18 cruises with carnival this is the first time we've come home with a big complaint.

We had the exact same experience in May on the Valor in a Panorama Deck Cabin. Couldn't sleep night one. It was so hot that my hair was literally wet with sweat. I bought a small fan at Kmart the next day in St. Thomas and they confiscated it and said it was a "prohibited item". They sent a tech to room with digital thermometer and it read nearly 78*. They said anything 73 and under was acceptable so they brought us a fan. Our friends in the next cabin had the same problem.

In 7 days we placed 4 complaints. Temps never improved. If this is the new standard for passenger comfort, we're going to re-think things. It's a shame, we've had 16 perfectly wonderful cruises on Carnival. However I'm not paying good money to spend 7 days all hot and cranky.

And if they have fans to hand out ( to circulate hot air???) then they know it's hot as heck and they're not going to do anything about it!

Edited by WayTooCool

On all of our cruises I've always been cold in the cabin. I bring a sweater or wear the robe while I'm in the room. If we leave the curtains open it gets warmer in there (balcony rooms) but never hot. Maybe it is luck of the draw? I'm not cold in all other areas of the ship - just the cabin. My son even gets under his blanket almost all the time when in there.

However I'd be pretty upset if the temp was over 78 and they did nothing!

Our cabin was perfect for my DH but a little chilly for me during the day. As soon as our neighbors were in their cabin they opened their balcony door for the night with a bungee cord. Our temperature and humidity rose dramatically. Outcome was one cabin with an open balcony door can mess up the comfort of other cabins around them, including inside cabins, according to our cabin attendant.

We just sailed Liberty, and I can assure you cabin 9233 will probably cause you to lose weight via sweat bath! The temperature guy cam in with his digital readout - it was 78.8 deg. He agreed that was above standard, but nothing was ever done about it. The special down comforter spent the better part of the cruise on the floor! Preparing complaint as we speak. Sweat running thru my hair all night does not make for a happy camper. Out of 18 cruises with carnival this is the first time we've come home with a big complaint.

Did you request a meeting with the Hotel Director? Why didn't you take the blankets, pillows, etc. and sleep in direct view of the Guest Services Desk with a message for the Guest Services Manager? If it was truly uncomfortable, why did you continue to sleep there?

To JerReuv. We just got off the Pride and lucky for us our suite stayed on 68 degrees. When we called guest services for a problem with our toilet the repairman must have told them the room was cold. They called us later in the day and said a repairman would come out for the problem with our air conditioner. I told them do not send anyone because I did not call and complain and nothing was wrong. I think they have people checking so they can cut it down.

When they say energy efficient they really mean they can set your unit so it will only go so low. Believe me they always do what is best for their bottom line. Also for the ones that say the room is freezing remember you can put on a sweater or robe and get warm. For the rest of us we can only undress to the skin and if anyone is in your room you can't do that.

HAPPY SAILING!!!

I have never really had an issue with cabin temperature, but I will say this;

I have also never been able to enjoy the comfort of those nice duvets/quilts that are on the bed. I have always felt too warm under them, and usually only end up sleeping under the sheet, with the duvet over the end of the bed.

No big deal though, because I usually have a good a night's sleep on a ship:)

When they say energy efficient they really mean they can set your unit so it will only go so low. Believe me they always do what is best for their bottom line.

It's a shame the in-cabin thermostats aren't like at hotels. At hotels, you can set the thermostat to VIP mode. If they have one of the ones that don't include a VIP mode, taking a paper clip (sometimes after opening it up) and holding the reset button usually helps. From there, you can even set it considerably lower than the hotel's set requirements.

Edited by Disconnections

Just got off the Pride and our room was warm even with AC on coldest setting. Not overly uncomfortable but warmer than we like for sleeping.

(cheaping out on the booze too :()

We are back on the Pride after the 2.0 upgrades, hoping this penny pinching is temporary.

I was on the Triumph in May. Our air never worked. Our room was so hot we could barely be in the room. They came out every day to check it but it never worked. Ship full, no cabin to move to. Carnival gave us 15% off future cruise!

If we no longer have climate control in our stateroom (our standards, not theirs), that would be sorely inadequate for me! I would sleep in a cool public area until they could get me home under the vacation guarantee with my money back. #laststraw

Did you request a meeting with the Hotel Director? Why didn't you take the blankets, pillows, etc. and sleep in direct view of the Guest Services Desk with a message for the Guest Services Manager? If it was truly uncomfortable, why did you continue to sleep there?

This is exactly what people need to do to drive the point home. If guests settle for a measly discount on another cruise (why would they return?) Carnival gains. Demand the vacation guarantee.

This is exactly what people need to do to drive the point home. If guests settle for a measly discount on another cruise (why would they return?) Carnival gains. Demand the vacation guarantee.

Supposedly, attempting to invoke the vacation guarantee will result in a room change when the ship is full and "overbooked." There have been plenty of mentions here of those who almost invoked the guarantee, but a room magically appeared after mentioning the guarantee.

Supposedly, attempting to invoke the vacation guarantee will result in a room change when the ship is full and "overbooked." There have been plenty of mentions here of those who almost invoked the guarantee, but a room magically appeared after mentioning the guarantee.

We have 3 staterooms together so a room change is highly unlikely to be the solution. I just hope CCL takes enough flack on this to fix it before January.