Big bites in Grenada?

MAJPLO

I'm guessing you mean mosquitoes? You raise a good point and sorry you were nibbled. As with most Caribbean Islands we are now in full rainy season (yay!) but with the rains come the mosquitoes and tiny sand flies (Boo!). So please do make sure to have a good bug repellant on you at all times and have a quick respray/reapply before going into darkened areas such as processing plants or museums as those pesky insects lie to hang out there.

BUG not big. They were very small bites and my post should have said bug bites. They were NOT Mosquitos.

Perhaps they were 'no-see-ums' (so called because they are so very tiny and impossible to see). They are essentially sand flies and pack a punch and can cause very itchy and/or painful raised bumps and even small blisters in some unfortunate few. Again repellant can help to keep them at bay somewhat.

Sorry you had this unfortunate experience :(

Perhaps they were 'no-see-ums' (so called because they are so very tiny and impossible to see). They are essentially sand flies and pack a punch and can cause very itchy and/or painful raised bumps and even small blisters in some unfortunate few. Again repellant can help to keep them at bay somewhat.

Sorry you had this unfortunate experience :(

Yep. Blistered and oozed. It was disgusting and itchy and painful and I ended up having to go the the infirmary :( Clearly next time I go anywhere other than my backyard I will be coating liberally with repellant!

Yep. Blistered and oozed. It was disgusting and itchy and painful and I ended up having to go the the infirmary :( Clearly next time I go anywhere other than my backyard I will be coating liberally with repellant!

So sorry to hear that and hope you have recovered. :o

I too come up in the blisters with the No-See-Ums and hate the little things.When the ships are in I can usually go unmolested as the little blighters to like to try new victims (you guys are obviously very yummy!) :p

hope it hasn't put you off our beautiful island - Come back soon :cool:

• 1 month later...
We'll be in Grenada next week.... any chance we'll experience these bug bites in December?

There are some times of the year where we get more mozzies than at others and the raining season is one of them :mad: Sand flies or no-see-ums - are year round but tend to come out to play early mornings and early evenings (4-ish onwards)

The only advice I can give is to spray yourself liberally with repellant for mosquitoes and if you are going on an island tour and you think you are likely to be in cool, dark places - rum distillery, chocolate manufacturing at Belmont etc - then suggest take a change of clothes such as longer trousers?

I do hope the little things stay away from you and you really get the chance to enjoy our island un-nibbled. :cool:

There are some times of the year where we get more mozzies than at others and the raining season is one of them :mad: Sand flies or no-see-ums - are year round but tend to come out to play early mornings and early evenings (4-ish onwards)

The only advice I can give is to spray yourself liberally with repellant for mosquitoes and if you are going on an island tour and you think you are likely to be in cool, dark places - rum distillery, chocolate manufacturing at Belmont etc - then suggest take a change of clothes such as longer trousers?

I do hope the little things stay away from you and you really get the chance to enjoy our island un-nibbled. :cool:

Thanks so much for your quick reply. insect repellant and anti-itch cream now packed!

I think we will be spending our time at Grand Anse Beach and will be there likely from 11am-3pm so hopefully we won't meet up with those critters but want to be ready just in case.. particularly since i have my young child travelling with us.