NewOrleans Transfers & Tours

tracyd1014

We're heading to New Orleans for the Dream Cruise to the Western Caribbean in Jan 2015 with a group of 24. We have yet to arrange our transfers from the airport to the hotel and the hotel to the cruise terminal. I have gotten a couple of quotes for our group on these transfers but I decided to reach out to see if anyone knows of a good transfer company. We would also like to go to Avery Island for the Tobasco tour but haven't found anyone less than $1300 for that - only 6 of us going to Avery Island. I'm wondering at this point if we should just rent a car/van at the airport for our New Orleans days then return it back to the airport and pick up the Carnival transfer/bus there. We aren't all staying at the same hotel and not all coming into town at the same time. Any thoughts or ideas?

It all really depends on where you are staying and what you're planning to do. For my upcoming cruise, we're spending a few extra days in New Orleans, and we're going car-free, just relying on streetcars and taxis to get us around. If you're close enough to a streetcar line (there are maps on their web site), it's the best way to do New Orleans - no parking hassle, and downtown and near the Quarter, it can be a real pain.

Edited by PolybiusSquare

I really appreciate the info. After getting quotes for tours and transfers from various New Orleans companies it's been pretty much decided to double up in cabs and take them to the Courtyard Marriott where we will be staying. Same goes for the trip to the cruise terminal 3 days later then we are taking the Carnival transfer to the airport on embarkation day. We still would like to go to Avery Island and see the Tobasco factory but it's over 2 hours away and I can't find anyone to take us under about $1300. We will be either cancelling that one or renting a car for a day. Out of 24 people on our cruise only 6 want to go there. I will look into the street car information you suggested. Thanks again!

• 3 weeks later...

Cab it to the hotels on your arrival day, especially since everyone arrives at different times. As long as more than 2 people are in the car. If there are any singles arriving they can catch the shuttle. The stand is on the same floor as the baggage claim. You just go up to the desk and reserve it. $20 one way or $36 round trip. I use this all the time.

Rent a car for your Avery Island and Tobasco factory tour. Call Enterprise. Check and see if they will deliver car to your hotel. I'm not for sure in NOLA but where I live they're the only rental company that will pick you up take you to the car rental place to complete your reservation. When you return it they will take you back to your hotel.

Depending on which route you take to Avery Island, it is between 135 and 165 miles each way. Could be as little as 2.5 hours to a little over three hours each way. It's a nice place to visit and we usually spend about 1-1.5 hours there.

If you have your heart set on going there, I would rent a car/van and drive myself. Enterprise might be your best bet. Personally I would take the more scenic drive on U.S. highway 90 instead of the Interstate. You may decide to do otherwise. Some good food to be had over around the Avery Island area!!