Alaska Car Rental Anchorage

Latitude Adjustment

I just made a reservation with pickup and drop off at the airport (was hoping to return the car to Whittier on the cruise departure day but that Avis rental location is closed for the season and cannot get any rate for this). Timing is late June 2015 for 4.5 day rental. Full size car for 2 people with no insurance or damage waivers....$464:eek:...will monitor and hope rates fall but curious what others came up with? Luckily can freely cancel, I did check a lot of the usual sites as well as costco travel and this was the best price I could do for this size car. I do not want to try priceline "pay your own price" as that is not refundable in case we change our plans. Thanks for any information in advance. This trip is $$$$$$!!!

Well, got a little lucky...I was waiting for autoslash to review my rental options, they came up with a total rate of $303....not too bad at all compared to my original rate which was also with the same company-Hertz.

Edited by Latitude Adjustment

I just made a reservation with pickup and drop off at the airport (was hoping to return the car to Whittier on the cruise departure day but that Avis rental location is closed for the season and cannot get any rate for this). Timing is late June 2015 for 4.5 day rental. Full size car for 2 people with no insurance or damage waivers....$464:eek:...will monitor and hope rates fall but curious what others came up with? Luckily can freely cancel, I did check a lot of the usual sites as well as costco travel and this was the best price I could do for this size car. I do not want to try priceline "pay your own price" as that is not refundable in case we change our plans. Thanks for any information in advance. This trip is $$$$$$!!!

Well, got a little lucky...I was waiting for autoslash to review my rental options, they came up with a total rate of $303....not too bad at all compared to my original rate which was also with the same company-Hertz.

Car rentals in Alaska are expensive.If I was you I would take the insurance or at least the damage wavier . Broken windshield are fairly common in Alaska . Damage repair is very expensive in the north.

Your 5 day rental is going to be expensive, any way you can add more days and take advantage of a weekly rate? Your time is very limiting.

Past few years, the bargain rates for me have been with the downtown Enterprise. I also always get the cheap economy cars. Cabs are easy and convenient to add if savings are significant.

Edited by Budget Queen

Car rentals in Alaska are expensive.If I was you I would take the insurance or at least the damage wavier . Broken windshield are fairly common in Alaska . Damage repair is very expensive in the north.

Fine to take the CDW if a renter has no other way to pay for it. But there are many ways to cover it (especially for those living in the USA) at a much lower cost than directly through the rental company. Some of those options even include "loss of use" coverage if the rental company decides to pull that card (though not all do).

Edited by frugaltravel

Your 5 day rental is going to be expensive, any way you can add more days and take advantage of a weekly rate? Your time is very limiting.

Past few years, the bargain rates for me have been with the downtown Enterprise. I also always get the cheap economy cars. Cabs are easy and convenient to add if savings are significant.

No, this is the trip we have already setup...arrive Friday evening and head north and then return the day of our cruise...so about 5 days on land prior to the cruise.

And yes, I need to review my CC insurance coverage...if any doubt will add on the CDW...I also wanted a full size car to ensure our main luggage will fit locked in the trunk.

No, this is the trip we have already setup...arrive Friday evening and head north and then return the day of our cruise...so about 5 days on land prior to the cruise.

And yes, I need to review my CC insurance coverage...if any doubt will add on the CDW...I also wanted a full size car to ensure our main luggage will fit locked in the trunk.

It's hard to get a lot of trunk space since there is a wide range of cars available. If you are more than 2 people, a SUV would be a better bet if you are taking 4 or more luggage bags. I've been upgraded several times to "full" size cars and their trunks weren't much larger than the compact Focus I have frequently gotten. :)