Must visit restaurant for traditional Puerto Rican food

jxsupr

We will be stopping in San Juan on Tuesday, October 21st from 3-9 pm. We would like to try out Puerto Rican cuisine while we are there. Any suggestions? I did read about a restaurant about an hour's drive that was known for their bbq pork, but I'm wondering if there's something closer to the port that we could get really good food. Thanks!

We had a really yummy lunch at Cafe Manolin downtown. I'd seen it mentioned on here before, and my Puerto Rican friend recommended it. We sat next to two Port Authority workers on one side and a local on the other. Basically, we were the only tourists at our counter. When I walked to the restroom in the back, all of the seats were taken by folks on their lunch breaks. http://www.cafemanolinoldsanjuan.com/menuii/index.html I had the Mofongo with Shrimp and DH had a delicious Churrasco.

Not that this will help you, but maybe someone else: When we are there in a couple weeks, we'll be with a couple borrowing his dad's car. They are planning to take us to all of their favorite places while we're there. I can report back after our trip in November. Most of those places will not likely be downtown OSJ.

Edited by JenMJM

We went to Raices before our walking tour. Our tour guide dismissed it as the food being too bland, but we didn't find that. It wasn't incredibly spicy though.

I just wanted to try mofongo and it was amazing. We also had a really delicious drink there. It may have been a mojito. I just can't remember. It was really good though. There were a few locals in there, as well as tourists.

• 4 weeks later...
We went to Raices before our walking tour. Our tour guide dismissed it as the food being too bland, but we didn't find that. It wasn't incredibly spicy though.

I just wanted to try mofongo and it was amazing. We also had a really delicious drink there. It may have been a mojito. I just can't remember. It was really good though. There were a few locals in there, as well as tourists.

For some reason, people think Puerto Rican food may be spicy. It's not, at least if you mean spicy-hot.

Spicy-flavorful- that it would be. Garlic, oregano, onions, olive oil, etc. Lots of that.

Raices is a good place to try Puerto Rican food, I think. I've eaten in better, sure. But if it's your first time, well, it's a good one.

Aguaviva and Parrot Club (as well as all of the other Oof restaurants) are more Puerto Rican fusion- be it seafood (Aquaviva) or something else. Great food, but not what you would find in a small place in Pinones.

We had a very good meal at El Jibarito on Calla Sol. They serve great sangria too. I had Navidad Special, which was a sampler plate.

I also had a good meal at the restaurant right beside Hotel Casablanca on Calle Fortalezza. It was called Puerto Rico Kitchen, if the memory serves me right. They had fantastic ribs with guava sauce. My husband was very happy with his dish of chicken and rice and beans. He said that Puerto Rican rice and beans are the best.

Pretty sure the OP has already been there, but wanted to add my 2 cents.

Just back from a cruise and had dinner at Oroczo's (on Ashford in Condado) on Halloween. It was excellent. I had the tilapia in garlic sauce with french fries (which were very crispy and delicious) and rice with pigeon peas, washed down with a Magna beer. It was excellent.

15776059955_c3409d52b2_c.jpg

Pretty sure the OP has already been there, but wanted to add my 2 cents.

Just back from a cruise and had dinner at Oroczo's (on Ashford in Condado) on Halloween. It was excellent. I had the tilapia in garlic sauce with french fries (which were very crispy and delicious) and rice with pigeon peas, washed down with a Magna beer. It was excellent.

15776059955_c3409d52b2_c.jpg

I second this recommendation, not only is the food great but the prices are very reasonable too. The night we were there they had a musician playing too. Can't wait to go back in March.