Icy Strait Point and Skagway decisions...

mspmcpie

Hi All! My parents, my husband, and I are booked on the June 12 southbound Alaska cruise that will stop in Skagway and Icy Strait Point. I am trying to plan one of those days as a leisurely walking around on our own type of day and one of the days as a whale watching day.

I have read great reviews of Misty Bay Lodge whale watching in Icy Strait Point ---- however, I'm a little concerned that their boat won't be as comfortable for my parents as I would like it to be. Alaska Fjordlines out of Skagway also has good reviews and looks to be more comfortable, but takes a larger group and not as many reviews of the whale watching tour as Misty Bay...

Would both places be equally nice for walking around if not touring there?

I think I'm just driving myself crazy!

Suggestions?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Since Skagway is not a whale watch hot spot - I'd definitely plan on Skagway for your walk-around day (or better yet, rent a car and drive up into the Yukon, very affordable and scenic excursion for Skagway).

In ISP, I've gone whale watching with Misty Bay Lodge on their very comfortable, six passenger catamarin twice - once in 2011 and once this past May. Your folks won't have any problems with the comfort of the boat. There is a heated interior, with a small head (bathroom) on board, as well as comfortable padded seats, table, and access to the aft deck, which is also covered. If you're feeling venturesome and the weather cooperates, you can even climb up to the crows nest for great views. Great homemade cookies, coffee, tea and hot chocolate are provided, along with other snacky items - granola bars, chips, etc. Love Misty Bay Lodge! Capt. Dan along with his wife Hope will show you a great time and provide an excellent whale watching experience - highly recommend!

First to begin at the last, far and away the best place to walk around for a day would have to be here in Skagway, where there are almost unlimited (and Free!) chances to go on organized walks with National Park Rangers as well as hiking into the hinterlands at all levels of challenges, or not so challenged, day hikes.

Then there is the fact that any whale watching out of Skagway is going to be iffy at best.....My impression of the Fjordlines trip is that it is primarily a transport between here and Juneau and return. You might see some wildlife along the way but it would be secondary to the purpose of the trip unless they have changed it.

But most importantly for your seemingly desires to see whales is that there are some very good, independent whale watch tours out of Hoonah (ISP) which pretty much guarantee whale sightings and they are easy to find, with a search.

I hope that this helps?

DD

Since Skagway is not a whale watch hot spot - I'd definitely plan on Skagway for your walk-around day (or better yet, rent a car and drive up into the Yukon, very affordable and scenic excursion for Skagway).

In ISP, I've gone whale watching with Misty Bay Lodge on their very comfortable, six passenger catamarin twice - once in 2011 and once this past May. Your folks won't have any problems with the comfort of the boat. There is a heated interior, with a small head (bathroom) on board, as well as comfortable padded seats, table, and access to the aft deck, which is also covered. If you're feeling venturesome and the weather cooperates, you can even climb up to the crows nest for great views. Great homemade cookies, coffee, tea and hot chocolate are provided, along with other snacky items - granola bars, chips, etc. Love Misty Bay Lodge! Capt. Dan along with his wife Hope will show you a great time and provide an excellent whale watching experience - highly recommend!

I too have gone with Misty Bay lodge. Captain Dan keeps in touch with other captains to find the whales. I agree with everything that was said.

http://lclavette1.blogspot.com/2014/05/vancouver.html.

See my pictures in my blog. We went back to their lodge for home made seafood chowder. Awesome . There were only 4 of us with Captain Dan on the boat.

You won't be disappointed.

I too have gone with Misty Bay lodge. Captain Dan keeps in touch with other captains to find the whales. I agree with everything that was said.

http://lclavette1.blogspot.com/2014/05/vancouver.html.

See my pictures in my blog. We went back to their lodge for home made seafood chowder. Awesome . There were only 4 of us with Captain Dan on the boat.

You won't be disappointed.

4cats,1dog I had actually already going your review and your pic of inside the cabin is what made me kind of concerned about space/seating. Is there more than just that little table?

4cats,1dog I had actually already going your review and your pic of inside the cabin is what made me kind of concerned about space/seating. Is there more than just that little table?

Yes there are captains chairs up front. And Chairs outside as well.

He has one of the only boats that has an overhang outside in case it rains.

You will not be disappointed.

Hi All! My parents, my husband, and I are booked on the June 12 southbound Alaska cruise that will stop in Skagway and Icy Strait Point. I am trying to plan one of those days as a leisurely walking around on our own type of day and one of the days as a whale watching day.

I have read great reviews of Misty Bay Lodge whale watching in Icy Strait Point ---- however, I'm a little concerned that their boat won't be as comfortable for my parents as I would like it to be. Alaska Fjordlines out of Skagway also has good reviews and looks to be more comfortable, but takes a larger group and not as many reviews of the whale watching tour as Misty Bay...

Would both places be equally nice for walking around if not touring there?

I think I'm just driving myself crazy!

Suggestions?

If you're really considering Misty Bay you had better decide...as they usually book up a year out.

• 3 months later...