Lava, lava, everywhere!

nursetheresa

You will see it at night around 10:30 PM on Sunday after leaving Hilo.

Hard to see during day; conditions do not warrant it now and if you are lucky it will mean a 6 mile walk each way through difficult ground and probably through rain.

Wait til at night when you will see the lava going into the ocean from the ship.

But do visit Volcano National Park; there is more to see than just lava. Bring rain coats, umbrellas and good binoculars. It is cooler up there remember. Do not rent a convertible or jeep; it will more likely rain.

I've never cruised to HI but have been there many times and I can tell you that the lava flow changes frequently. I've helicoptered over it, hiked to it and missed it all together. They have updates daily as to where you can see it, if at all. But on that note, I have been told you can't see it, only to take it upon ourselves to try anyway and find out we could see it! It can be a hike, and if you do it at night the one thing I can stress is take a flashlight!!! If you have small kids, don't do it at all at night. Either way, have fun! Hopefully you can see it hit the water at some point:)

Don't bring little ones or pregnant women or people with lung conditions or asma; there is a bad sulfur smell in places that can harm lungs at Volcano National Park.

My 8 yr old stayed in the car, but coughed for a day afterwards.

Actually except for the posted areas - it is OK to bring anyone to the Volcanoes National Park. HOWEVER in posted areas (downwind of especially noxious vents), if a person with a lung condition or an infant is in the car one should not even STOP in the posted area much less get out of the car. There are several of these all clearly posted. I know from personal experience (I have asthma and I visited the park). The only spot I had a problem was when my husband briefly stopped in a posted area. I stayed in the car but began coughing. As soon as we left that area I was fine.

Actually the suplhur is not especially harmful but some of the other gases are.

Best time of course is at night, but the conditions change daily. After 7pm or so there are no rangers around, and you are advised not to enter the park. There are always a few each year who just don't come back unfortunately. Our family went there 2 years ago during one of the most active periods for a while, and booked the helicopter flight over the vent, and on that day almost all activity had died down :( . We did see some small red lava areas, but that was all. The flight was still spectacular, especially the massive waterfalls in the rainforest area.

So it is really down to luck.

We went to Volcanoes NP on our own, but did not reach flowing lava. We went out on the solid lava flow about 1 1/2 hours, then had to turn back to make it back to the ship on time. The rangers said it was at a 3 1/2 - 4 hour round trip on that date (July 24th).

If you go, I do recommend the comfy hiking shoes, gloves, plenty of water (Camelback pack), suntan lotion, hats and sunglasses.

The best up to date info comes from the National Park Service Site. I have linked the lava flow info page.

http://www.nps.gov/havo/visitor/lava.htm

Good luck!

Archived