Early Saver --- Glad or Sad?

dickinson

I booked ES in July '14 for a January '15 cruise. I was happy with my price, but I was randomly checking for reductions. I checked on 9/25 and saw there was a reduction of $300 and a $50 OBC, and the sale ended that day. I emailed my PVP and he called within 15 minutes and I was all set. Very happy with that price drop, considering I thought my original price was very good. I'm going to keep checking up until January because I'd love to add more OBC. I can definitely find ways to spend as much as they'll give me!!

I am curious about the form that several people are referring to. Is that something I should be filling out, or is that something the PVP does?

something for you to do. You need to do this everytime you want a price adjustment

http://www.carnival.com/request-forms/price-protection-claim.aspx

Yes it is. Lately most of the price reductions have been for GTY rooms, it was not this way in the past. I have booked ES on all 12 of my Carnival cruises and have been able to use it a few times. I book my cruises very early since I can pick the cabin and the prices for ES are the lowest, I like PT and Spa cabins and I have rarely been able to take advantage ES, I knew this when I booked ES since I am a very experienced Carnival cruiser. Not complaining about ES, just pointing out the GTY tactic. Yes it is up to Carnival to lower rates only on GTYs more, of course it is, I agree with you. But do you not think that Carnival knows this is a way to negate ES?

Many times over the past 13 years of cruising I have seen both lower rates on GTYs and non-GTYs or both. So now there are supposedly more GTY's than non-GTY's going on sale. Still nothing new, just maybe more of one than the other. Does Carnival understand their rules, I would hope so. Is this a concerted effort to keep people from getting OBC, actually, I hope so as well (why give it away if you don't have to). Does anyone have proof that this is a concerted effort, I highly doubt it but that probably won't stop the conspiracy theories.

Edited by Out to sea!

We've always booked ES, sometimes we get price drops and sometimes not. Our most recent cruise had several price drops and we ended up with over $550.00 OBC! We like to pick our own room and we don't expect price drops but that doesn't stop us from checking several times a day. ;)

If the price drop is before final payment they reduce the amount you owe, after final payment it's OBC.

It is definitely up to Carnival. However, the overall intent of early saver (in a general sense) is to afford the people that book early the lowest rates. Under the new pricing regime, that simply doesn't ring true much of the time. So, the intent of the early saver is not recognized by many. Since Carnival can't support a higher price point to fill their ships, they are forced to deeply discount the rates at the very last minute. However, they've enacted loopholes that prevent their ES customers from recognizing the price drop. This, rightly or unrightly, upsets people who have been on deposit for over 5 months in many cases. Unhappy passengers talk a lot more than happy passengers.

ES in this case doesn't change anything. If you book a different rate you don't get any OBC after final payment date either. And prices on cruises that don't sell well have always declined in the last month or so, no change there. If someone wants the best price, wait till the last second to book and take what's left. If cabin location is the priority, then book early and hope for OBC down the road. Carnival is a business who bases their decisions (or so it seems) on newbies so upsetting past guests isn't really a concern of theirs. Especially when no one else even has an ES program.

It sounds like a lot of people are finding that after booking ES and paying final payment there are many people who are unable to take advantage of price drops because it would mean going to a guarantee and therefore giving up their cabin they picked. Do I have this correct?

I wonder if this is most of the time or just some of the time.

Oy…. what is a person to do? :eek:

It's not that they have to give up the cabin they selected, it means they are ineligible for the price drop because you can't price match to a GTY cabin.

What is a person to do??? Be happy with what you book at the time you book it and be grateful to get a price drop instead of expecting and complaining when one isn't available.

On ES if prices (on the exact same cabin category) go down before final payment then your price is reduced … correct? After final if price (on the exact same cabin category) goes down and you qualify then you get OBC. Do I have this right?

Now it's correct. :)

So I started with early saver for my February 28, 2015 cruise. I submitted the form the last two weeks which resulted in a price drop and then a price drop which paid off my cruise and left me with $150 OBC. I called to ask a question about my booking that I couldn't figure out online and the CSR said I had lost my ES. I thought ES gave me price protection as long as it wasn't a down grade or guaranty. So now I'm not sure if I still qualify for those ES price guarantees after final payment or if final payment date is last time I can get a drop. So confused.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is a person to do??? Be happy with what you book at the time you book it and be grateful to get a price drop instead of expecting and complaining when one isn't available.

I feel the same way - booked the exact cabin you wanted at an acceptable price (would not have booked it otherwise) so why complain?

Would I like OBC? Heck yeah! But with only 4 other cabins in my cat I knew it would not happen - I could upgrade and get OBC but then I would not get the (to me) super special cabin with floor to ceiling windows on the Lido deck.

So I started with early saver for my February 28, 2015 cruise. I submitted the form the last two weeks which resulted in a price drop and then a price drop which paid off my cruise and left me with $150 OBC. I called to ask a question about my booking that I couldn't figure out online and the CSR said I had lost my ES. I thought ES gave me price protection as long as it wasn't a down grade or guaranty. So now I'm not sure if I still qualify for those ES price guarantees after final payment or if final payment date is last time I can get a drop. So confused.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As far as I know, unless you switch to a GTY, you are always ES... I would call them back and ask them about it

ES in this case doesn't change anything. If you book a different rate you don't get any OBC after final payment date either. And prices on cruises that don't sell well have always declined in the last month or so, no change there. If someone wants the best price, wait till the last second to book and take what's left. If cabin location is the priority, then book early and hope for OBC down the road. Carnival is a business who bases their decisions (or so it seems) on newbies so upsetting past guests isn't really a concern of theirs. Especially when no one else even has an ES program.

You've made my point. The ES rate is effectively the same as any other rate, except that it comes with cancellation and change penalties. Better to book a different rate next time so at least I can cancel and take advantage of savings prior to final payment.

Edited by blcruising

It's not that they have to give up the cabin they selected, it means they are ineligible for the price drop because you can't price match to a GTY cabin.

Being happy or unhappy with your rate when you book is not relevant to the discussion. As I understand it, the issue being discussed deals with the early saver loopholes that allow Carnival to offer significant discounts for GTY cabins to those who book at the very last minute. The intent of the program is to offer the best price to those who book early. The reality is that those who are booking two or three weeks prior to the cruise get the best passage price via GTY cabins. Again, whether or not someone is happy with the price at the time they book is not relevant.

Were you happy or glad you booked ES? In other words, after final payment did you get price reductions or not? Please post your experiences.

Sorry - late to the party! ( just saw this thread).

We always book ES. This cruise we've had 6 price drops, some before final payment (reduced amount owed) several after (OBC).

I'm very happy with ES!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Cruise Critic App

You've made my point. The ES rate is effectively the same as any other rate, except that it comes with cancellation and change penalties. Better to book a different rate next time so at least I can cancel and take advantage of savings prior to final payment.

I didn't make your point, I made my point. ES rates (prior to final payment) is usually the cheapest rate there is. With the restrictions comes the possibility to get a lower cruise price prior to final payment or OBC after final payment date. Anyone can choose whatever rate they want, I'll always go with ES if available (usually ends 5 months before sailing).

Edited by Out to sea!

Being happy or unhappy with your rate when you book is not relevant to the discussion. As I understand it, the issue being discussed deals with the early saver loopholes that allow Carnival to offer significant discounts for GTY cabins to those who book at the very last minute. The intent of the program is to offer the best price to those who book early. The reality is that those who are booking two or three weeks prior to the cruise get the best passage price via GTY cabins. Again, whether or not someone is happy with the price at the time they book is not relevant.

To the point, well stated...

It's just as relevant as these fictional "loopholes" you keep talking about. There are no loopholes. Everything is in black and white........people just need to take the time to learn about the product they are buying. If they want to throw their money around without learning what they are buying, then don't come crying here.

I will say, it would be really nice if you could actually complete the sentence instead of only stating part of it. "The intent of the program is to offer the best price in the same category to those who book early." is the correct way to state it and is what is posted on the Carnival website. You change category and you have stepped out of bounds for ES.

As you can see below, there is no loophole, everything is stated in plain English, and it is easily understood.

http://www.carnival.com/core/faq.aspx

Q:What is the price protection assurance feature with Early Saver?

A: If you find a lower Carnival advertised fare after booking your cruise, we will honor it, issuing the difference in the form of a non-refundable onboard credit. The lower fare must be: (a) for the same ship, sailing, stateroom category and number of guests (b) available for booking at the time you submit your request for the lower rate and © a rate the guest in the cabin are eligible to receive, if special restrictions apply.

Early Saver guests are not eligible to be protected on the following programs: Super Saver, Instant Saver or any other program that does not allow cabin selection at the time of booking. Price protection will be subject to the prevailing fees and/or fuel supplement if applicable.

Edited by Out to sea!

I really enjoy everyone's point of view. I am still wavering. At this point I'm leaning towards Past guest (it is $100 more total for the 21 day b2b we are considering) and if price drops after final … oh well. At the moment I like not having my $$ nonrefundable. In an hour or two I will probably switch my mind back to ES :D:D I am hoping to finalize my decision tomorrow and go on to other things.

I really enjoy everyone's point of view. I am still wavering. At this point I'm leaning towards Past guest (it is $100 more total for the 21 day b2b we are considering) and if price drops after final … oh well. At the moment I like not having my $$ nonrefundable. In an hour or two I will probably switch my mind back to ES :D:D I am hoping to finalize my decision tomorrow and go on to other things.

For what it's worth, most of the time we book past guest. We have an early saver booking now but that's because between the 2 cabins it was about a $300 difference.

It's just as relevant as these fictional "loopholes" you keep talking about. There are no loopholes. Everything is in black and white........people just need to take the time to learn about the product they are buying. If they want to throw their money around without learning what they are buying, then don't come crying here.

I will say, it would be really nice if you could actually complete the sentence instead of only stating part of it. "The intent of the program is to offer the best price in the same category to those who book early." is the correct way to state it and is what is posted on the Carnival website. You change category and you have stepped out of bounds for ES.

As you can see below, there is no loophole, everything is stated in plain English, and it is easily understood.

http://www.carnival.com/core/faq.aspx

Q:What is the price protection assurance feature with Early Saver?

A: If you find a lower Carnival advertised fare after booking your cruise, we will honor it, issuing the difference in the form of a non-refundable onboard credit. The lower fare must be: (a) for the same ship, sailing, stateroom category and number of guests (b) available for booking at the time you submit your request for the lower rate and © a rate the guest in the cabin are eligible to receive, if special restrictions apply.

Early Saver guests are not eligible to be protected on the following programs: Super Saver, Instant Saver or any other program that does not allow cabin selection at the time of booking. Price protection will be subject to the prevailing fees and/or fuel supplement if applicable.

Well, the wording attached to my actual reservation doesn't say anything about the same stateroom category. This is directly from the terms attached to my booking confirmation:

3) Early Saver:Cancellations prior to final payment due date will receive a future cruise credit in the amount of the deposit less a $50 pp service fee. If you find a lower cruise rate,based on the total cabin occupancy& not from the booked ancillary services,such as air,transfers,prepaid gratuities,or government taxes & fees contact your Travel Agent or http://www.Carnival.com. Price protection does not apply to Super Saver,Instant Saver fares,group rates,membership rates,select promotions,or travel agent promotions. Verified rate difference is issued as an onboard credit. No name changes are allowed. A $50 fee per guest will be assessed for ship/sail date changes made prior to final payment date.

For what it's worth, most of the time we book past guest. We have an early saver booking now but that's because between the 2 cabins it was about a $300 difference.

My mother was always a bargain hunter and as I grew older I became one too. I think my dh is sometimes worse than me as he will want to drive around to save $1 not thinking about the gas spent :eek: Because I have no clue if these b2b cruises will go down in price after final payment I may just have to gamble that they don't. I wouldn't feel bad if they went down say $100 but I would feel bad if they went down hundreds. Even though we have never cancelled a cruise the few we have booked this far out we were sure we wanted to do. This one is mostly to get away from the cold of winter and to see some of these southern islands in the Caribbean that are not on most Caribbean cruises. We also don't have to fly which is a big plus. However, it is far off and there is always the possibility we may want to go somewhere else instead. I think Past Guest is looking better and better.

Edited by dickinson

We've been very happy! We leave on Conquest on Sat and our family of four will have $1100 of on board credit waiting for us due to significant price drops.

Youza! Enjoy your trip on the Conquest..... she's always been one of my favorites ;)

I was confused at first too, especially when some ppl were reporting they were being denied a price drop because the sale was "for new bookings only".

Now, I put all of the information on the form. In the notes section I include the #of pax in cabin, the day/time I saw the fare and the rate code from the terms and conditions page. This has seemed to help expedite the process and get me the price drop.

I disagree that all of the sales have been only GTY. There were sales for non GTY, but they just weren't as enticing as the GTY sales. My guess is Carnival wants to attract newbies to the line, who probably don't have a preference for location anyway.

I have used the ES program to my advantage! With all the GTY sales, pax are giving up their cabins and entering the GTY pool. I was able to leave my previous cabin and work my way up the ladder to an 8E lido for a lower price than my original booking.