Has MDR food improved since February 2013 ?

mickey89

They have no choice but to cut back on quality.

There most certainly IS another choice---apparently a choice that HAL has made a conscious decision to reject.

HAL could raise the fare to a price that would provide a better product.

I have to disagree with the last two posters. In my opinion, Princess food was inedible. After 3 disasterous nights in a row, we ate at the specialty restaurant for the remainder of the cruise.

The food was terrible, cold, and we had a surly waiter. To top it off, we couldn't get a 2 top!

No issues with Sterling. The food and service there was excellent! (On par with the Pinnacle)

Amazing how experiences differ. Our overall Princess MDR dining experience last year on the Grand was far better - in terms of food quality, presentation, and friendly, thoughtful service - than our prior two HAL cruises. I will give HAL the edge on soups, though, and HAL's Lido was better. But our MDR experience was definitely superior on Princess. Everyone's mileage seems to vary.

I don't blame you expecting more. The way some posters rave about the Prinsendam you'd think it was the best thing since sliced bread. If I'd pay premium prices I'd rather go on a premium line.

Me too. I hate what HAL did to the Royal Viking Sun. :(:eek: I would never pay a premium to sail on her. Sorry, Kazu.

Edited by solocanadian

Melodie you make me smile or think or both and I always enjoy reading your posts. Overall, our experience is that food quality and taste on lines we have sailed has been declining over the years. Our first HAL cruise is in March so excited to try HAL even though we have read the food decline comments. Is it March yet? :o

Edited by qsuzi

We were on the Oosterdam to Mexico in 2011, and thought the food was better this year on the Westerdam. The crew was also significantly happier. I usually found more items I wanted to try than I could comfortably eat. My DH and I both had nights when we weren't as hungry or wanted lots of the starters, so skipped the entree altogether.