Endometrial Ablation, Anyone Have Done?

To keep this fashion related, excessive periods can ruin your white pants! Has anyone had this procedure done recently? Went to my GYN today and he thought this may be an alternative to a hysterectomy. Other treatments have been ruled out. I am almost 49 and not having any more children! Your thoughts would be appreciated!

I had it done in 1997, I was ruining LOTS of white pants! They felt at the time that I was too young for a hysterectomy and this would be a good alternative (I was 27.) I had some serious complications during the surgery and spent a couple of days in the critical care unit. About a year ago I began having the problems that led them to opt for surgery in the first place, so I guess it was all in vain! I did make it longer than Darcie though icon_wink.gif I wouldn't recommend it unless there were no other alternatives, but it sounds like there is one.

My sister had this done and two years later had to have the hysterectomy. Based on the comments here looks like this might be a temporary, stop gap situation.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;09;18;20;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Empress of the Seas 9/18/04 Pink Sand and Blue Waters of Bermuda

I had the same experience as the above posters. Didn't do a darn thing for me. I had a hysterectomy also and it was the best thing I've ever done...medically. You can e-mail me at weirdeyes@hotmail.com if you want to discuss it more. I've been through it all. Good luck!

<MARQUEE>icon_smile.gifShelia icon_smile.gif</MARQUEE>

Sailing the Mariner in.......

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;5;30;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

<font color="#003399" face="Benguiat Bk BT">Carnival Destiny 2002</font>

I had a uterine ablation done 5 yrs. ago. I spotted lightly on a monthly basis (extremely light) for about a yr. After that, no more periods. I had the surgery performed on outpatient basis, but spent the night due to bad reaction to the anesthesia. I was 41 at the time and was suffering from horrible periods. Best thing I ever had done. - Janet

Which kind of endometrial ablation? The one where they fill the balloon with hot fluid to burn off the lining, or just laser ablation?

I had stage 3 endometriosis diagnosed in 1998. I had a laparoscopic with laser ablation of endometrial implants. It took about 2 months to fully recover (to be intimate again).

The laser ablation was a must with me, as I was flooding for 7 to 9 days each month. Since then, my periods are lighter, I don't have as bad of cramps (they are still there), and I just have less pain than before.

I know I will probably need the surgery again in the next 10-15 years, but I'm hoping a pregnancy will fix it for good. If I weren't wanting to get pregnant soon I would have already had the balloon procedure or a hysterectomy.

Natalie

Superstar Leo to Alaska 5/22/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;5;22;15;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800http://community.webshots.com/user/natalunia

I am a very satisfied customer with my ablation done around 1994. It was done as an out patient with no complications. Could not be happier with the results, as I was totally miserable before having this. Good luck with whatever you decide. Take care, Shannon

DESTINY 11/03

FASCINATION 11/02

IMAGINATION 10/01

INSPIRATION 3/96

natalunia, I had the thermal ablation. My understanding, that you needed to past child bearing because you can't bear children afterward. He said, 80% would have light/to no periods and 10% would not really be helped by the procedure. -Janet

Thanks everyone for your thoughtful responses. I feel kind of overwhelmed right now, and it really helps to hear from those who have "been there, done that". I don't know if this technology has advanced in the past few years. The doc said there are a couple of ways this procedure is done, basically, burning or freezing. He gave me a brochure on something called NOVASURE just so I could get an idea on how it works. This is an outpatient procedure with local anesthesia. Has anyone heard of this?

Also,WeirdEyes, your offer is very kind, I may take you up on it.

I had the Endometrial Ablation done in February and all went great. I have had horrible cramps and over-extreme bleeding for the past 30 years. Excuse me for being so blunt here, I would wear a super tampon with a super night-time "mattress" sized pad to bed at night and get up a couple of hours later only to have to change myself and the bed linens. Now I can hardly tell except for some milder cramps and the backache when I am on my period. Hardly any bleeding (at all) for a day or two instead of the 7 to 9 days of flooding before the procedure , I wear the light day pads now. It is so unreal to me. I feel so naked now without my Mattress. I thought that a complete hysterectomy was going to be the only thing that would help. I had the hot balloon thing, outpatient, quick and easy. Very little discomfort afterwards. Good luck with your decision.

5/9 Conquest " First time cruiser"

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;5;9;18;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600

I have tried everything for the past few years, this procedure is the only thing left except for hysterectomy. I think I might try it. It's nice to know I'm not the only one with this flooding problem. I miss a day of work every month because of it.

To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive.

Robert Louis Stevenson

WOW Rickie, are you saying you use a light days panty liner the entire time? Without a tampon? That would be a dream come true!

sallyb - You're never alone on this board. You'd be surprised how many people have similar problems! Let us know what you decide, and I will do the same.

Knowledge is power, and all you gals on the FB rock!

I too had the uterine thermal abalation about 3 or 4 years ago with great success. I am 52 and am now starting to miss periods ...YEA! Even though the surgery greatly releaved the heavy bleeding, mentally I still felt the need to carry a complete arsenol of protection around with me and still do. I spent too much time being anemic and letting my periods rule my life. If the surgery had been there earlier I would have had it done since I wanted to avoid a hysterectomy.

Just wanted to chime in on this...

If heavy bleeding is caused by fibroids, another option to consider is embolization. Like ablation, it's a lot less invasive than hysterectomy and the recovery time is much faster... plus you keep all your organs. It's performed by an Interventional Radiologist, so it's not often recommended by gyn's.

Every women should be able to decide what course to take is best for herself, but it's certainly worth it to look at all options.

Some helpful websites:

www.fibroidoptions.com/

www.ask4ufe.com/index.cfm

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/embo/

www.aafp.org/afp/20000615/3601.html

Good luck... here's to white pants! (and shorts, and capris, and bathing suits, etc.)

Hey shawilson, I am now wearing the always light day pads. They are as thin as a panty liner. It is so incredable. You really just feel free. I am 46 years old and have suffered since I was 12. I had been thinking about this for about a year, hoping that I would stop early like my mother did, she started at 17, very light, no cramps, and stopped when she turned 40, but my gyn said I probaly had another good 15 or 20 years left. No way!!!! Best of luck to you.

Rickie icon_wink.gif

5/9 Conquest " First time cruiser"

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;5;9;18;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600

I had the thermal ablation done 4 years ago at age 33. I suffered from extremely heavy periods prior to this procedure.

Now, I can honestly say, it's the best thing I have ever done. Right after the surgery, my periods were very light, almost non-existant. Now, 4 years later, they ARE non-existant. My doctor says everthing is normal and some canidates are lucky and their period stops all together. Good Luck. I hope you have the same results.

Gina

SS Emerald Seas '82 (Bahamas)

SS Royale (Big Red Boat) '85 (Bahamas)

RCCL Majesty of the Seas '99 (7 day Western Caribbean)

CCL Pride 9-21-2002 (7 day Eastern Caribbean)

Sun Princess 10-13-2004 (10 day Southern Caribbean)

Sorry I dropped out for a few days, trying to catch up. It sounds like this is the thing for me to try. I have an appointment on the 24th with my GP, I'll mention it to him and see who he recommends. Thanks for all your comments, this is a subject that isn't discussed often, but it sure is a help!

To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive.

Robert Louis Stevenson

Just caught this post. I am 4 months post op total hysterectomy. Shockingly, I was diagnosed with a low grade endometrial cancer just prior to surgery that was caught on a routine exam when I mentioned I had a little spotting from time to time which led to a biopsy and diagnosis. Just wanted to pass on that great info on all types of Gyn problems can be found on the web site hystersisters.com Now that I have all of this behind me, I booked a cruise for me and my fiance, and will be sailing on the Golden Princess 7/11. Can't wait!!!

Archived