who has done dreamworks dining?

Did it on either Freedom or Liberty a couple of years back.

Basically it was a special "chocolate overload" breakfast menu that was very kid friendly and then part way through the characters came out and went table to table posing for pictures with the kids.

I don't recall there being a "show" but I think there was a musical riff for each character as they got introduced, kind of a "and heres Shrek" type announcement.

Characters at the one we went to were Shrek, Fiona, Donkey and Puss in Boots if I recall right. I think the characters can vary depending on the ship/meal (Sometimes it is offered on more than one morning).

It was cute but I don't think I would pay extra for it.

thanks! We're going to do it for my 2 year old. luckily he is free, so we will suck up the charge for us parents. he LOVES the character meals at disney so we figure, why not.

just trying to get info on characters so i can have him re-watch movies before we leave so he is more familiar with them.

thank you!

Anyone out there do the dreamworks character breakfast?

which characters appear? what goes on during it? is there like a show?

any info is appreciated! :)

This is the Menu

b876t2.jpg

Since you've been to Disney I'd say its similar to eating at one of their restaurants with Characters. ie: Chef Mickeys. The characters will stop at your table. Take a picture with you and so forth.

We did the breakfast on Oasis last year, and the characters that we had were all from Madagascar (King Julien, Alex, and Gloria). They did a little dance and introduction. And they went from table to table (just like the Disney character meals). Our table of adults had fun. We're doing it again on Freedom next month.

thanks! We're going to do it for my 2 year old. luckily he is free, so we will suck up the charge for us parents. he LOVES the character meals at disney so we figure, why not.

just trying to get info on characters so i can have him re-watch movies before we leave so he is more familiar with them.

thank you!

I personally haven't done it, but I recall reading that it is not the same type of experience you had with Disney. Hopefully, others will chime in, but if you are used to Disney standards, you may be disappointed.

Also, the characters do wander around the ship at assigned times, so your child can "meet" them at those times.

We did the breakfast on Oasis last year, and the characters that we had were all from Madagascar (King Julien, Alex, and Gloria). They did a little dance and introduction. And they went from table to table (just like the Disney character meals). Our table of adults had fun. We're doing it again on Freedom next month.

Same here. We did it on Oasis last year and we had Madagascar characters.

However, as for the breakfast itself, it was very disorganized (there was confusion amongst the servers who actually had our table) and the service was poor.

Our 16 month old grandson was not very interested in the characters and the 5 year old grandson said the breakfast was "kind of boring" when we did it on Freedom. :D

The one thing the 16 month old really seemed to enjoy was the ice show. He paid rapt attention to the entire show & clapped along with the music. The 5 year old said it was "kind of boring!" :rolleyes:

Sherri:)

However, as for the breakfast itself, it was very disorganized (there was confusion amongst the servers who actually had our table) and the service was poor.

heard that before.

We did it on our Allure cruise in 2013 and it was fun.

I think some children were upset because there was only one penguin (instead of all 3), I think the other character was Gloria and someone else from Madagascar.

There was some singing and dancing but most of the time was spent with the characters going from table to table for photos.

Anyone out there do the dreamworks character breakfast?

which characters appear? what goes on during it? is there like a show?

any info is appreciated! :)

Did it in 2013 on the Allure. Think we went to at least 2 breakfasts. We had Shrek and Madagascar characters (Shrek, Fiona, Puss in Boots, and King Julian). They did some songs and dancing. The food was just okay. My kids are too old for it now but I'd pay if my kids were smaller.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We were on the Allure last October and there was three character breakfasts, one each day at sea. The first one was Shrek, Fiona and Puss in Boots, another next one was Alex, Gloria, King Julian and Mort. The last one was Po from Kung Fu Panda and the Penguins (The Penguins split up and we got to see two of the four on our side of the restaurant. We did all three but at that time there was no cost to participate. We had reservations for two of them, but showed up early for the other one and was able to get a seat because our daughter wanted to see those particular characters.

Thanks!

As for Disney standards.. my kid is 2.5. he has no idea how "disney" does it better LOL. he just loves big characters. He'll have a blast just watching them walk around the room and getting to hug them.

so it sounds like it is mostly on sea days?

Freedom, this year, late Jan/early Feb.

The characters will stop at your table. Take a picture with you and so forth.

Not really our experience.

Po led a dance thing that was geared towards children far too young to have seen most Dreamworks movies IMO. My son, who was the age that Shrek should start to be watched at, and who gets the nuances of Kung Fu Panda, etc, was entirely left out because it was all "heads shoulders knees and toes" preschool stuff.

Then they did the meet and greet. Maybe because we were at a table right up at the "front" it didn't seem that they came to the table. All of the pictures were in front of the backdrop, which was at the front.

Shrek wasn't there but he was on the poster.

The food was nearly inedible. It might have said chocolate and looked brown, but it smelled like chemicals, like plastic. Tasted worse. Awful. The eggs were unspeakably bad. The hashbrown was the size of half a playing card.

We left, unhappy and barely fed, and went to Windjammer to get some freshly made, decent, non-plastic-chocolatey, food.

And that was when it was free. I wouldn't go for free again, and I definitely wouldn't pay for it.

...so I dragged my husband there.

I totally enjoyed it but it was FREE at that time. I definitly would not pay to go.

I think they started charging because it is a reservation thing. Since it was free, too many sign up and then do not show up so they never know how many will attend.

By charging people....they know you will go.

We were on Freedom this past June. They had it 2 mornings (the 2 sea days of the cruise). We only went once and saw King Julien, Gloria, and Alex. I don't know if there were different ones on the second day. I didn't know until they came out who would be there.

The characters came out one at a time and did a dance with a couple of the cruise guys. Then they came around to each table and let you take pictures. I didn't feel rushed at all.

The food was okay, but I ordered chocolate pancakes, and my husband makes the best homemade pancakes in the world, so I should have known better. If you didn't want anything from the menu, you can get the buffet (they have a little buffet section in the MDR), so I went up and got some yummy french toast and fruit from there.

My kids enjoyed it. I wouldn't pay for it, but my kids are older and there are 3 of them, so it would cost us $50.

I'm sure your child will enjoy it, especially at that age.

Funny, our assistant waiter at night was one of the waiters at breakfast! The food was ok, and our waiter was good and we got what we ordered....

We went to the Character Breakfast on 2 different ships. The first ship I took my parents (68 & 69) & my daughter (26), the second ship was my husband & I. Both times the characters came to our table, we got our pics taken with them, & the food was good, & we got what we ordered in a timely manner. It was free then, but I wouldn't pay for us to go, but I was glad that we all went:)

Edited by Bronx12