$$ Exchanged for Euros?

sa cruiser52

Does anyone know if you can exchange US dollars for Euros at the purser's desk on NCL? I'm on the Pearl going to Martinique where they take Euros only; anyone have a personal experience in Martinique to confirm Euros only? Thank you so much,

We were on the Spirit last year and they would not exchange dollars for the couple we were with, but there were ATMs available on board that EUROs could be withdrawn. There is a chance you might find a place to exchange in port.

Edited by Realitoes

Does anyone know if you can exchange US dollars for Euros at the purser's desk on NCL? I'm on the Pearl going to Martinique where they take Euros only; anyone have a personal experience in Martinique to confirm Euros only? Thank you so much,

Don't know either. But why not exchange before you leave. I have done this with Australian Dollars and Canadian Dollars at my local Chase branch. Better rate than the Exchange Kiosks in the mall. Pretty easy too. Just saw a teller, they did the transaction and a couple days later they had my foreign currency.

Last time I went to Martinique, there were ATMs located downtown that you could use that would give you local currency (Francs at the time... pre-Euro). I'm certain you could still use these and get Euros. They worked with all the US ATM networks...

I was in Bank of America last week and heard I person asking about euros, I was interested as we are also going to Martinique, I heard the teller say that he had to order 100. worth of each denomination that he wanted, plus there is a fee, I guess he was trying to order a few of each (which I would had wanted to do) but the teller couldn't do it. After hearing that I decided to book an NCL excursion in Martinique rather that bother with euros, I did read that the ferry near the port takes U S dollars.

My Chase Bank you just tell them the amount of the foreign currency you want, for instance I said I wanted $100 Canadian, for this Alaska Cruise I just did, just to have some cash on hand in Vancouver. It cost me about $97 in US. No Fee. They said 2 days, but actually had it at the branch the next day.

Similar when I went to Australia and got $1000 AUD.

In each case, there was no limitation on the actual denominations of the bills and in both cases they gave me a good mix. For Canada, I think I got 3 $20's, 2 $10's and 4 $5's.

My Chase Bank you just tell them the amount of the foreign currency you want, for instance I said I wanted $100 Canadian, for this Alaska Cruise I just did, just to have some cash on hand in Vancouver. It cost me about $97 in US. No Fee. They said 2 days, but actually had it at the branch the next day.

Similar when I went to Australia and got $1000 AUD.

In each case, there was no limitation on the actual denominations of the bills and in both cases they gave me a good mix. For Canada, I think I got 3 $20's, 2 $10's and 4 $5's.

We don't have a chase bank close by but maybe I should think about switching:D

use an atm in Martinique to withdraw euros. exchange rate is better than any stateside bank. if you want to avoid cash advance fees on credit card, use a debit card to withdraw from your checking/savings account. you may pay a small atm fee and any foreign currency exchange charge that your card charges, but it will still be better than any bank and you can withdraw in 10 euro amounts, allowing you more flexibility. and the euro is weakening right now so you will probably be better off waiting until arrival for the best rate. i never carry foreign currency when traveling. all airports and seaports have atms readily available.

For 20+ years I've simply used ATMs (and it's now so simple there's no reason not to do so). It's highly likely you'll end up paying more in fees when exchanging at your local Stateside bank vs an ATM. ATMs are everywhere in Europe...after all, the locals use them, too. Also don't forget that many venues (especially tourist related) accept credit cards, which will typically offer the best conversion rates.

Sent from my iPad

I read that statement often, about better rates using an ATM. And I'm not saying it's false. But most people who spout that line really have no hard evidence, they are just passing along what they have heard. And it's hard to hit a moving target. If I check a few exchange rate websites then go to the bank, I may get that rate or a very close one, within thousandths of a dollar. But who knows what I would get if I wait until I am in the foreign country.

As I mentioned, I like going to Chase, at least a few weeks before the trip, so I know I have it. I do not get charged any fees. I really can't speak to the exchange rate they give me, because I do not research it online just prior to going to the bank. And then try to find out what it would be if I waited and used an ATM in the foreign country, etc. But I'd bet that the difference is negligible, and the convenience of already having the foreign currency, in hand, outweighs that. I can say that each time I did this, the amount of foreign currency I got for what it cost in US dollars seemed to be correct, what you would expect.

I read that statement often, about better rates using an ATM. And I'm not saying it's false. But most people who spout that line really have no hard evidence, they are just passing along what they have heard. And it's hard to hit a moving target. If I check a few exchange rate websites then go to the bank, I may get that rate or a very close one, within thousandths of a dollar. But who knows what I would get if I wait until I am in the foreign country.

I know that I save in convenience and cost by using foreign ATMs when I travel. But, my bank doesn't charge me anything when withdrawing abroad (which also permits me to withdraw enough funds for a few days at a time without worry about fees). Yours might not be so generous. These fees could easily outweigh any minor fluctuations in conversion rates.

Here's a good reference on ATM fees: http://thepointsguy.com/2013/07/avoiding-atm-withdrawal-fees-when-traveling-abroad/

Some ATMs will offer to convert the currency from US$ to the local currency when you withdraw the cash. Don't do it. Let your bank do the conversion, or else you'll likely end up paying more than any other option.

As I mentioned, I like going to Chase, at least a few weeks before the trip, so I know I have it. I do not get charged any fees.

Fees are the main issue. Many (I would hazard a guess that the majority) of bank customers would be paying a service charge of some amount to obtain foreign currency. And, there may be minimums as mentioned above in another post.

I really can't speak to the exchange rate they give me, because I do not research it online just prior to going to the bank. And then try to find out what it would be if I waited and used an ATM in the foreign country, etc. But I'd bet that the difference is negligible, and the convenience of already having the foreign currency, in hand, outweighs that. I can say that each time I did this, the amount of foreign currency I got for what it cost in US dollars seemed to be correct, what you would expect.

As for convenience...well, that's a subjective decision. When I travel, I don't bother with taking the time and paying the local bank fees (though mine may not charge me), which I don't consider to be convenient. At the destination airport (or town, if via ship...) I just stop by an ATM and have cash in a few minutes. No big deal. Easy and simple.

This is much simpler than it used to be years ago with travelers checques. When I lived in Europe I also linked my AMEX to my US checking account so that I could walk into any American Express office and write a check for cash in local currency (and use the very few ATMs AMEX had at the time). I prefer ATMs these days to all other when needing cash. FWIW, I've also found in recent years that I use less and less cash when in Europe (in other words, more and more merchants and restaurants are now accepting credit cards, which is the most convenient method to pay while traveling for me).

Of course, do whatever makes you most comfortable!

Edited by Okmyx

As I mentioned, I like going to Chase, at least a few weeks before the trip, so I know I have it. I do not get charged any fees. I really can't speak to the exchange rate they give me, because I do not research it online just prior to going to the bank. And then try to find out what it would be if I waited and used an ATM in the foreign country, etc. But I'd bet that the difference is negligible, and the convenience of already having the foreign currency, in hand, outweighs that. I can say that each time I did this, the amount of foreign currency I got for what it cost in US dollars seemed to be correct, what you would expect.

lived in Europe for 12 years earning us dollars and travel to Europe often and banks in the states charge a 2 to 3 percent conversion charge on top of the daily official exchange rate. when you withdraw from your account using an atm you get the official exchange rate with no foreign exchange conversion fee as long as previously stated you don't have the atm servicer convert to dollars. most credit cards (amex platinum, capital and some others excluded) charge a 1 to 3 percent foreign exchange conversion fee on top of credit card conversion fee. it will save between 2 and 3 percent using an atm and you don't run the risk by carrying large sums of multiple currencies in cash. another issue is return to the states. if you return with odd lots of foreign currency it is difficult to turn that back into dollars, because most banks won't exchange small amounts. if you convert only $100 into 80 euros and you end up needing 130 euros you still need to go to the atm, but if you return with 20 euros there is no bank that will convert that back to dollars. atms are easier and generally save you money, particularly if you are visiting countries with different currencies on the same trip. my over 40 years of foreign travel would have been easier if atms had been ubiquitous for the first 15 of those years. however, having said all that, just use your credit card and avoid carrying any cash, that may cost a little more but it is so much easier. don't take any of our words for this, do your research on line and make you own decision.