Question- Bringing alcohol on board, but flying in?

lpengin

Hey all,

I tried searching the forums here to avoid re-asking a question, but I couldn't find anything so... sorry if this has been asked a million times before :p

My husband and I are flying to Orlando on the same day as our cruise. Our luggage tag instructions say to put them on when we check in at the airport and we won't see our bags until they get delivered to our stateroom. While this seems AMAZING to me (I hate those luggage carousels!), I then realized that any liquor we are bringing on board will be in our checked bags! :eek:

I know that you can buy liquor at ports of call and bring it back to your room (right? they don't take it like other lines?), but what if we wanted to bring something? Would they let me NOT put my luggage tags on my bags, claim them, transfer the bottles, and then... hand them over to someone? Has anyone ever done this? I don't want to screw up any systems here, I am just hoping that someone else has some advice :)

I am guessing you are taking the Disney bus to the port. If so, your luggage will be sent directly to the bus - you will not be stopping at a carousel to get them. You walk a few miles (or at least it seemed like it:D) through the airport to the Disney area. I'm not sure there would be anyone to give your luggage to if you did not put the Disney label on it.

Since Disney allows you to bring as much alcohol as you want, the main reason for carrying it on is less likelihood of it breaking than in your checked luggage.

Edited by Scrapnana

I am guessing you are taking the Disney bus to the port. If so, your luggage will be sent directly to the bus - you will not be stopping at a carousel to get them. You walk a few miles (or at least it seemed like it:D) through the airport to the Disney area. I'm not sure there would be anyone to give your luggage to if you did not put the Disney label on it.

Since Disney allows you to bring as much alcohol as you want, the main reason for carrying it on is less likelihood of it breaking than in your checked luggage.

I understand not wanting it to break- I wouldn't be happy about it either! Luckily we drink Pinnacle, and it comes in plastic bottles :p I saw a few things saying that they confiscate if they find alcohol in your checked baggage, but maybe if it's not glass... guess it might be worth a call to Disney tomorrow.

In order to follow the rules of both the airlines and DCL, you will need access to your checked bags following the flight.

If you are flying in with alcohol in your checked bags and using DCL transfers, DO NOT put the tags on the bags at the home airport. Go to baggage claim in MCO and get the bag(s). Transfer the alcohol to your carry on, apply DCL tag to the bag, and proceed with the bag to the Welcome Center. A CM there will take the bag and direct you to the bus.

As a guest who had items damaged when some guest did not follow the rules (their white wine broke, leaked onto my case--at least that's what DCL said), I would urge you to follow DCL's rules. Having had that experience and seeing how DCL handles luggage, we try to minimize the occasions when they handle our bags!

DCL changed their policy a few years ago to avoid problems with checked luggage. For us, my husband and I both have our water bottles and liquor in our carry ons, items we used to pack. A little heavy since we have 2-3 bottles of proscecco, vodka, scotch and at least 6 20oz water bottles. But we are thankful DCL allows us to do this. (I have heard horror stories about some lines taking any and all packed liquid bottles that are not factory sealed, including mouth wash.)

If you're using DCL transportation, you'll have to do as previous people have said. Leave the luggage tag off the bag with the booze. Claim that bag at the baggage carrousel, transfer the booze to your carry on, apply the tag and check it in at the bus kiosk at the airport.

For this reason (among others), we skip DCL transfers in favor of private transportation. In our case, since we have two kids, it costs about the same to use a private car service like Happy Limo. They include a free 15 minute grocery (aka liquor) store stop on the way to the port.

We also like avoiding the bus lines at MCO (which, depending on the time of day may be a zoo), and the lines at the port. (When a bus arrives at MCO, a ton of people get off en masse.)

Have fun!

Agreed that private transportation or a rental car can make a lot more sense (private towncar services allow 15-30 minute stop at store of your choice). But OP wanted to know how to do it IF DCL transfers.

If you are a family of 4 or more, private transportation is also cheaper. The downside is that you must claim your luggage and take it to the driver.

If using DCL transfers, place the tags on all the bags EXCEPT the one with the adult beverages inside. That way, you only claim and drag that one bag over to Welcome Center.

And thanks--yeah, after a zillion cruises, I should know the ropes. Of course, things do change, even from one cruise to the next.

we flew to Puerto Rico 2 weeks ago for our cruise,and had a bottle in our checked backage,If you look at the TSA rules,it is permitted in checked baggage.Ours was also plastic,but because of the way the bags are handled,hub got a sturdy carboard liquor box from the store,and I packed some plastic bags inside.It arrived safely in our room,completely intact!

we flew to Puerto Rico 2 weeks ago for our cruise,and had a bottle in our checked backage,If you look at the TSA rules,it is permitted in checked baggage.Ours was also plastic,but because of the way the bags are handled,hub got a sturdy carboard liquor box from the store,and I packed some plastic bags inside.It arrived safely in our room,completely intact!

Just out of interest, what would you have done IF it had broken in your luggage and covered your clothing?

ex techie

This is why I use a Wine Check. The same boxes used to ship wine/liquor via Fed Ex and UPS snuggle safely inside. The pull strap and wheels make it easy to roll behind you at the airport. Just used mine again last weekend--6700 miles in five days.

This is why I use a Wine Check. The same boxes used to ship wine/liquor via Fed Ex and UPS snuggle safely inside. The pull strap and wheels make it easy to roll behind you at the airport. Just used mine again last weekend--6700 miles in five days.

That sure is a dedicated wine drinker's dream! And not very expensive at $75!

ex techie

I'm sure for someone in your situation!

I hope you didn't consume all 12 bottles on your 5 day trip!

ex techie

LOL--No. I took six bottles out to share with friends and brought four cases back. (I was visiting a wine region.)

Just out of interest, what would you have done IF it had broken in your luggage and covered your clothing?

ex techie

good question,as when we travel,there;s always some kind of liquid put in our luggage.:eek:

I pack shampoo and other liquids in zip lock bags...the idea being that IF a plastic bottle breaks or becomes somehow opened' date=' there's a reasonable chance that the contents will remain in the outer packing. It hasn't failed me yet.[/quote']

Same here--I only take travel size and it fits in my 3-1-1, and travels in my carry on. I don't worry.

• 3 weeks later...

Put the bottles in one checked bag. Don't tag that one. If possible, make that bag a carryon size like one from the online Rick Steves store. Retrieve it from the carousel. Then turn that bag into a carryon for the cruise.

TSA rules, yes, checking it is allowed. DCL rules, however, it needs to be carried on. That's the issue with the OP. She's checking luggage and wanting to use the tags so the bags are sent directly to the cruise. She can't do that, as you aren't supposed to check alcohol on the cruise.

What do you do with it to get it on the cruise? We have one and I cannot imagine it will fit through the xray machine. We ended up packing it with wine and beer and tshirts and such for the flight, then before the cruise we swapped out things we didn't need for the cruise and put it into the wine box in the bag, and put the alcohol into the now-emptied carryon bag.

Could I have just carried on the winecheck bag?

Just off 7 day magic, Cape Canaveral Liquors delivered for a $10 fee and minimum $30 dollar order. Packaged in a nice cardboard box with handles just for liquor! Prices are very reasonable and comparable and will special order! Ask for Len the owner. Website too! Highly recommend

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Delivered where? Your hotel? To you at the port? To the ship?

DCL policy is that they will not accept a delivery for a guest. I know this is enforced at ports of call, but they do allow some companies to deliver to Port Canaveral (The Perfect Gift and Babies Travel Lite are examples of allowed deliveries).