Ebola

jessybell

With the huge number of people who die every day from smoking, drinking, drugs (both legal and illegal), obesity related diseases, cancer and car wrecks, are people really worried about Ebola?

Seriously, how many people on cruises have ever been affected by Ebola?

But it's a tad tricky to catch cancer or illegal drug use from someone else.

Now, when there is a high chance of being denied boarding if you enter yes on the form, the big temptation among many is to board and hope the symptoms go away.

David.

True! The classical questionnaire rather refers to symptoms like colds, sour throat, bad cough etc., so nothing life-threatening. I know that people with these symptoms have been given treatment by the medical service of the ship.

But it's a tad tricky to catch cancer or illegal drug use from someone else.

Actually cancer runs in families as does illegal drug use.

Ebola is more like AIDS. You aren't going to catch it without some exchange of bodily fluids. How is that likely to happen on a cruise?

I am far more worried about breaking a heel on my dance shoe than I am about Ebola.

Actually cancer runs in families as does illegal drug use.

Ebola is more like AIDS. You aren't going to catch it without some exchange of bodily fluids. How is that likely to happen on a cruise?

I am far more worried about breaking a heel on my dance shoe than I am about Ebola.

Yes, has been proven that there is a genetic component to cancer, as well as the possibility that certain viruses such as the human papillomavirus (HPV) can result in cancer.

The statement that illegal drug use runs in families can be argued, but I'll limit comments to refute the statement that "Ebola is more like AIDS"...

Ebola and HIV/Aids are two very different viruses. The symptoms/ contagion levels/treatments and prognosis are also very different. As frequent passengers, we are all aware of the symptoms and the contagious aspects of the Noro virus, as well as the effort cruise lines take to contain any possible outbreak of Noro virus.

Compare the initial symptoms of Noro, Ebola, and HIV/Aids. Which of the three virus are more likely to spread on a cruise ship and warrant medical concerns on a cruise ship?

Clearly, the answer is Noro virus. Hopefully, not one person will board a cruise ship infected - either knowingly or unknowing with the Noro virus - or (God Help Us All) the Ebola virus. -S.

What I mean is, who's going to say "Yes, I'm a war criminal" in the same way as people will answer the health questions. No one is going to risk not being allowed on the ship, are they ?

I know that it is just an example you quote, but whether or not somebody is a war criminal they know most probably anyway. There is no risk not to be allowed on a ship because of a cold. Those affected reveive treatment from the medical service. The idea is to prevent that such an infection is spread to others on the ship, where the risk is higher than in normal life. Being ill spoils your vacation!

Edited by Cats2010

I am not a doctor nor a scientist, but my understanding is that with both AIDS and Ebola there must be exposure to bodily fluids, beyond germs being spread by a sneeze or a sharing a salt shaker. I could be wrong, but that is my understanding.

Norovirus on the other hand can be transmitted on surfaces, which makes it easy to spread like wildfire on a cruise ship. Oddly, in all of our 40+ cruises, we have never been on a ship with a Norovirus infection.

There is certainly a genetic component to drug addiction and, of course, nurture is also a factor. But, like you said, that's a different discussion.

My main point is that with all of the serious health concerns the majority of the people should have, (obesity, smoking, lack of exercise, heart problems, high blood pressure, diabetes, etc.) I can't understand spending much time worrying about Ebola.

Edited by PunkiC

Oddly, in all of our 40+ cruises, we have never been on a ship with a Norovirus infection.

Well, I have been, and it was extincted within 2 or 3 days!

Anyway, it is always better (and less expensive) to take preventive measures.

I am not a doctor nor a scientist, but my understanding is that with both AIDS and Ebola there must be exposure to bodily fluids, beyond germs being spread by a sneeze or a sharing a salt shaker. I could be wrong, but that is my understanding.

Norovirus on the other hand can be transmitted on surfaces, which makes it easy to spread like wildfire on a cruise ship. Oddly, in all of our 40+ cruises, we have never been on a ship with a Norovirus infection.

There is certainly a genetic component to drug addiction and, of course, nurture is also a factor. But, like you said, that's a different discussion.

My main point is that with all of the serious health concerns the majority of the people should have, (obesity, smoking, lack of exercise, heart problems, high blood pressure, diabetes, etc.) I can't understand spending much time worrying about Ebola.

Here is the World Health Organizations fact sheet regarding the Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs103/en/

The Ebola virus has been found to live on surfaces, although how long it lives varies depending on such factors as temperature and exposure to UVL (sunlight). Mucus secretions, just like any other bodily fluid released from an infected person can transmit the virus. So it would seem that sharing a salt shaker or contact with large sneeze droplets from an infected Ebola exhibiting symptoms are indeed possible modes of transmission, just as they are possible means of transmission for the noro virus. (That's why salt and pepper shakers, among other items, are removed from common use when any ship is on Code Red.)

Rather than spending time worrying about Ebola, or ignoring its Global implications, I find it more beneficial to learn the facts about modes of transmission/prevention and treatments - such as they are known at this time. An epidemic spiraling out of control with more 4,000 victims gets my attention. I don't know what I can do about it, except perhaps to donate to organizations such as Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/our-work/medical-issues/ebola

For those so inclined, prayers for those in the midst of this epidemic are no doubt welcomed.

Salacia

Edited by Salacia

I had actually read that. It was one of the articles that gave me the impression that the transmission of Ebola was more similar to the transmission of AIDS than the transmission of Norovirus.

Personally, I tend not to worry too much. I know for sure that I am going to die and I am too old now to die young.

You are indeed wrong. As stated on the WHO website, and by the CDC on its website, Ebola CAN and DOES not only survive, but maintains its ability to infect, for DAYS to WEEKS on DRY surfaces. NOT JUST through the direct transfer of fluids.

I'd be willing to wager the 4,000 victims now dead, weren't "spending much time worrying about Ebola" either... NOT a wise or productive strategy. I just returned from a three week cruise, and the death toll before I left was just over 2,000. This represents a near perfect geometric progression in keeping with the disease's maximum 3 week incubation period, and does not bode well for the future.

I have never contracted noro on any of my far less numerous (15) cruises, but that doesn't mean that I, and cruise ship's staff "don't spend much time worrying about it." I, and they, take immediate action to prevent its further spread buy multiple measures, including quarantine.

When was the last time you saw people in full bio protective suits stripping and spraying the apartment and car of an AIDS patient?

I, too, am closer to life's end than to its beginning. Shouldn't we, as supposedly intelligent beings have more care, concern, and responsibility to, if not ourselves, at least to our posterity?

Tomorrow, I am leaving for another three weeks. I will be passing through SEVERAL crowded airports including Boston and Rome, and sitting in SEVERAL enclosed aircraft. I am NOT freaked out, if I were I would NOT be going, but I AM concerned. People from KNOWN infection locations are STILL being allowed to travel. THAT is CRIMINAL NEGLIGENCE that has potentially DEADLY consequences. There is absolutely NO doubt in my mind that by the time I return, the death toll will be thousands higher in Africa. AND that the number of infections in the US will be higher than the current one.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/A/AS_WHO_EBOLA?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2014-10-13-07-29-36

Please note that although the above linked story is from the AP, the QUOTES in it are from the WHO, not a journalist.

Edited by teecee60

This is the information I have:

"Ebola spreads through close contact with a symptomatic person's bodily fluids, such as blood, sweat, vomit, feces, urine, saliva or semen. Those fluids must have an entry point, such as a cut or scrape or someone touching the nose, mouth or eyes with contaminated hands, or being splashed. The World Health Organization says blood, feces and vomit are the most infectious fluids, while the virus is found in saliva mostly once patients are severely ill. The whole live virus has never been culled from sweat."

Since I don't know or kiss anybody with Ebola, I am not particularly worried.

This is the information I have:

"Ebola spreads through close contact with a symptomatic person's bodily fluids, such as blood, sweat, vomit, feces, urine, saliva or semen. Those fluids must have an entry point, such as a cut or scrape or someone touching the nose, mouth or eyes with contaminated hands, or being splashed. The World Health Organization says blood, feces and vomit are the most infectious fluids, while the virus is found in saliva mostly once patients are severely ill. The whole live virus has never been culled from sweat."

Since I don't know or kiss anybody with Ebola, I am not particularly worried.

I suppose the threat of terrorism does not concern you either as I assume you do not know/kiss terrorists either. Keep on worrying about your dance shoes though.

Having witnessed the damage to the Wold Trade Center in NYC first-hand, I am convinced that terrorists are much more aggressive and unavoidable than Ebola victims. So, yes, I am much more concerned about terrorism than I am about Ebola.

To date only one person in the USA has contracted Ebola and she was a nurse treating an Ebola patient in Dallas. To the best of my knowledge no one has ever contracted Ebola in the UK, or on an airplane, or on a cruise ship.

Not to give them any ideas, but I guess it is possible that terrorists could find a bunch of really crazy people willing to contract Ebola and then travel all over the world (before they were symptomatic) and try to infect as many people as possible. That's pretty scary but, if it happens, it happens, and there is nothing I can do to stop it. So, I will continue to channel my energy toward issues I might be able to control, like leaf mold on my dahlias or making sure I have an extra pair of dance shoes on a cruise. :p

Do cruise ships have an isolation ward? I think they would just put you in your cabin if you got sick with flu/noro/ebola, throw food in the door and hope for the best. With visits from the ships MD/Nurse. Meds if needed.

I wonder if a Ebola patient somehow decided to get on a cruise ship for a holiday and they developed symptoms, what port would accept the ship to dock??

Are the staff trained to contain the spread?

Do they have isolation or personal protective equipment to use?

Would passengers panic on board if someone had Ebola while on board?

I would be concerned not in a panic. Ebola it seems is about 50% terminal?

Would you avoid a ship if it did get a Ebola patient on it for a cruise, in the future?

You aren't going to catch it without some exchange of bodily fluids. How is that likely to happen on a cruise?

Well if your Parents never explained it to you, I'm sure it's far to late in life to learn now :)

Edited by scifisteve

Having witnessed the damage to the Wold Trade Center in NYC first-hand, I am convinced that terrorists are much more aggressive and unavoidable than Ebola victims. So, yes, I am much more concerned about terrorism than I am about Ebola.

To date only one person in the USA has contracted Ebola and she was a nurse treating an Ebola patient in Dallas. To the best of my knowledge no one has ever contracted Ebola in the UK, or on an airplane, or on a cruise ship.

Not to give them any ideas, but I guess it is possible that terrorists could find a bunch of really crazy people willing to contract Ebola and then travel all over the world (before they were symptomatic) and try to infect as many people as possible. That's pretty scary but, if it happens, it happens, and there is nothing I can do to stop it. So, I will continue to channel my energy toward issues I might be able to control, like leaf mold on my dahlias or making sure I have an extra pair of dance shoes on a cruise. :p

Frankly, I think that is a very low risk. Here's why: those infected with the Ebola virus can't spread the disease until they are showing symptoms from up to 21 days after initial close contact with the virus, according to the most recent information. As the virus load increases in the person infected the disease, Ebola more contagious, but the person carrying the disease is quite obviously very ill, and most likely not able to walk around -much less go unnoticed.

But Let's Keep Dancing ;) as Ms. Peggy Lee sang -

Cheers,

S.

Edited by Salacia