p+o crusies (oceana) with children

medicalman

Hello everybody ,

this is my first post on this site i am thinking about going on the oceana in july 2006,there will three of us two adults and one eight year old girl,we looked at the video we got from p+o and it looked very stuffy people in suits all day long and long romantic evening meals,i did not see a single child in the video and my point is has any body been on this ship and are children aloud in the main dinning areas and are children aloud in the shows in the evening,i have looked on p+o site and it mentions an early sitting for children so the adults can eat later!!!!!!is there lots of children on this cruise ship??lots for them to do? etc etc etc?

any help would be great

p.s its my parents who are pushing us to go with them they want to take there grandaughter on a cruise!!!!:confused: :confused: :confused:

We were on a couple of weeks ago. I heard someone say 400 children on board (out of 2000) so they were there! Maybe a few too many for my liking, but each to their own! The children seemed to enjoy the pool area and plenty went the activities. I didn't see any young children at the 'formal' dining rooms-maybe early teenagers at the youngest.

It wasn't all stuffy suits either! Obviously you have formal nights but during the day casual goes, and if you don't want to dress up in a suit you can go for the Plaza buffet dinner.

Have you posted a message on the P&O cruise connections website?

Oceana is one of P & O's family ships. If you go during the school holidays then there will be plenty of children a similar age to your little girl. My children started cruising when they were 4 & 6. They are now 19 and 21 and still coming with us!! The kids clubs are great for the kids. When it comes to dining you may find that the 8 year old will prefer childrens tea at 5.15pm as they do various activities in the evenings in the kids club that she may miss out on if she comes to dinner in the restaurant with you. Daytime wear on the Oceana is quite casual. If you are in warmer climes then T shirts and shorts are acceptable. Mind you if you want lunch in the dining room I'm not sure if you would have to put a pair of trousers on!! Not going to lunch in the restaurant I wouldn't know. In the evenings you will have formal, informal and casual nights.

Elaine

We have just returned from Oceana and do not believe what you see in the videos.

Children are allowed inj the restaurant for evening meals, we had 17 of our family aboard and some of them had children of all ages.

It is not at all stuffy as you say, meals can be taken in other areas of the ship if required.

Most of my family liked the idea of "dressing" up as you say on formal nights, but if this is not for you then you can go to the alternatives venues on these nights.

Regards eating during the day most people just had casual attire and yes shorts were allowed in the dining room at lunch and breakfast but not after 630pm, which is correct.

Children had a fab time and cannot wait to sail again.

I am sure you would enjoy it.

:) We are cruising on Oceana in July ( E617) with our two girls who are 12 and 8. My friends sailed last month and confirmed for us that there were around 400 children on board. I've been told that there is plenty for the kids to do and that we'll hardly see them! Ah bliss. Also they can join the kids tea if they want but I suspect that our girls will eat with us most of the time.

Oceana is known as one of the slightly less formal P & O ships but I understand the evening dress codes apply to all areas of the ship.

Archived