Chanukah and Minion questions for Breakaway

escapingcold

Hi all! We will be on the Breakaway for part of Chanukah. Do you know if they will be lighting a Chanukiah on the ship anywhere during the week? Also, do you know if there is a daily minion on the ship at all? My mil needs to say kadish for her father….Thanks!

I would imagine there will be an electric menorah someplace as a nod to our holiday, but that would be it. As for a minion, I'd doubt it, unless there is a group of observant Jews on the ship that week. Most I've ever seen is a ship leave a challah in the chapel on Friday night for anyone who wants to celebrate and do the blessing. Why don't you email NCL Customer service?

We sailed the Gem a few years ago during Hanukkah and there was a Rabbi on the ship that help brief nightly services in one of the lounge areas. It was really nice and there was quite a turnout.

As far as a Minyan, I have no doubt in my mind you would be able to find 10 Jewish adults aboard to say Kaddish with.

Edited by hammer413

Thanks everyone! I called the 800 number and the person told me there will no official celebration of any religious holiday. However, on the Q&A section of the NCL webpage from 2011 it mentions that there will be a menorah that will be lit on the ship along with a rabbi. So I am not sure what will be…I will try to pack an electric Chanukiah in my luggage just in case and hope that there will be something more formal on board. As for the minion, I will leave it to my mil to figure out! Chag Sameach everyone!

I generally sail NCL but a couple of years ago I was on a Royal Car ship during Chanukah. They had a small service every night. One night we even had latkes. Maybe someone in Special Services or some such department can tell you. Have a great cruise.

Join your roll call and ask there. It might also pay to contact the group events coordinator in advance and ask that an announcement, time and location, be placed in the Freestyle Daily. Interested people may see it and attend.

We sailed the Gem a few years ago during Hanukkah and there was a Rabbi on the ship that help brief nightly services in one of the lounge areas. It was really nice and there was quite a turnout.

As far as a Minyan, I have no doubt in my mind you would be able to find 10 Jewish adults aboard to say Kaddish with.

You might be able to find people on your roll call, who will be able to help with a Minyan. Just post there and ask.