Formal Night--Short or Long?

I went shopping this past weekend hoping to find a really gorgeous formal dress that would be suitable for formal evenings on our mid-Aug. cruise. No luck. I'm the "space efficient" one--if I were 4" taller there would have been ample choices. Apparently petites stay home at night!

My question is for those experienced cruisers: are there a number of women wearing short dresses or is pretty much everyone in long? At this point I'm beginning to suspect that if it fits it works, but I'd like to know if I should try to restrict myself to longer length.

You will see both short and long (also slinky pants and glittery tops). You won't feel out of place in either.

Being "space-efficent" myself at barely 5' - I say, go with what you can find that fits and looks good on you. Personally, I've worn different lengths from short (at the knee) cocktail dresses to mid-calf and full-lenghth dresses. On a cruise, you'll see just about everything. Main thing is that you feel good about what you're wearing and enjoy yourself!

Ell [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;9;26;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]
Coral Princess - Trancanal on Sept 26, 2004

I am 5'2" and have a couple of cocktail length dresses I wear for formal night. Last year I had picked up a longer dress (with a slit up one side) that is actually ankle length on me. I ended up wearing this as a formal since it looked a little more dressy once I accessorized!

Chadwicks has some pretty formal-type dresses and make almost everything in petite!

lszu
Sovereign 7/99
Monarch 7/00
Vision 9/01
Voyager 9/02
Adventure 9/03

I'm 5'5" so I don't know if I quite qualify at petite, but I have had the hardest time finding a cocktail dress that is flattering. Instead, I take one long gown on my cruises and for the second night a slacks outfit with dressy top. See, you DO have options! [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

[img]http://www.bensleyraceteam.com/Ani_Gif_Images/bookworm2.gif[/img]

Navigator OTS 10/04
Legend 04/04
Grand Princess 09/03
Dawn Princess 01/03
Enchantment OTS 10/02
Destiny 01/02
Sensation 08/99

I'm definitely not space efficient (5'10") and so far I have worn knee length dresses for formal night. This cruise I have an ankle length one though. I think really anything would be appropriate. You usually see lots of both types--long and short.

Sovereign of the Seas 6/00
Fascination 6/01
Fantasy 6/03
Sovereign 6/04

Mini, short, knee-length, midcalf, ankle length or long will work. It's the fabric and style of the outfit that make it formal, not necessarily the length. What about silk slacks with a sheer, silky or lacey top? That would work also.

Good luck to you!

Karen [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

Carnival Miracle 10/24/04
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ff00&cdt=2004;10;24;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

Mmmmm, we cruise 2 - 3 times a year, and my view is the majority of women wear floor-length dresses. But anything goes these days! [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=FFA000&cdt=2005;04;02;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
OUR NEXT ONWARD JOURNEY!

Is this just an "urban legend" or do most gals go "all out" with the long formals on the 1st Formal Night and wear something a little less formal, i.e., cocktail length fancy dresses on the second Formal Night?

Just a suggestion... depending on where you are going and for how long. We usually cruise for 12 nights which means three formal nights. Depending on the cruise line, you will see everything from short to long, evening pants and usually lots of glitter. For our Med cruise this summer I am going to pack as lightly as possible because I don't want to be schlepping many suitcases around. This can be stressfull. On my first cruise I overpacked. For the formal nights I will be wearing two long gowns that are very lightweight and I have a pair of black evening pants with a sleeveless glittery top. I also have another top that is black lace that will be worn on a semi formal night with the same pair of black evening pants. Mix and match. Make a chart if you are going on a 12 nighter. I am a shoe horse and am only taking two pairs of fabulous shoes that can be worn for both formal and semi formal evenings. Don't forget your comfy shoes. Take a couple pairs of shorts and tops that can be mixed with a couple pairs of capris and skirts and send your laundry out if need be. Accessorize....change the look of an outfit with costume jewelry and if travelling to Europe wear your moneybelt under your clothing.
Above all, have fun . It has become a sport to see how many mix and matches I can fit into one wheeled suitcase. Bon Voyage!

I'm new to this forum but so glad to find it!

I was stressing out so much about clothes for formal nights until I read your posts about the range of what's appropriate. Thanks for the reassurance!

We're going to Alaska for a cruise/tour and will be on the ship 7 days. I'm just over 5'4" and size 1X. I have slinky black pants and tank with a gold mesh, flowing jacket for one formal night. For the other I have a short, black silk dress with all-over sequins. I feel comfortable wearing either of these outfits but have a couple of questions.

First, of the two formal nights, which is "more formal"? Am I right in thinking it's the night of the captain's reception? If so, that's the night I plan to wear the dress.

Second, I [B]hate[/B] heels! My feet are very flat and I have pain in my heels. What can I do for dressy shoes???

Thanks in advance,
Ann

Stella Solaris '80
Carnival Celebration '92
RCCL Majesty of the Seas '01
Coral Princess '04

OK, I'm on the tall side so fit of long dresses is tough for me too! Anything goes really, long, short, or pants! We usually take 7 day cruises with two formal nights. My rule is always the closer fitting the dress, the earlier in the cruise I wear it! We are going to Bermuda 6/5/04 and I started shopping in December. I usually end up catalog or online just because of size. I try to keep in mind long or short how it will pack.

Cruise formal shoes are really special! Thank goodness there are a lot of pretty sandals around with low and mid-heels. I learned the hard way that spikes on a moving ship don't work!

In truth, does anyone notice but us?

Donna

Ann, check out the sandals at easyspirt.com for style and comfort.

Monarch of the Seas 09/92
Majesty of the Seas 11/93
Sovereign of the Seas 09/94
Majesty of the Seas 11/95
Grandeur of the Seas 11/99
Grandeur of the Seas 11/00
Grandeur of the Seas 06/01
Grandeur of the Seas 02/02
Navigator of the Seas 12/02
Rhapsody of the Seas 06/03
Radiance of the Seas 11/03
Grandeur of the Seas 05/04