fashionistas I need help: what color shoes with formal

I have a formal on order that is a dark red/wine color (not really purple red, more of a red burgundy I imagine, i don't know the exact color yet cause it's still on order) and I want to get a pair of nice sandals to wear with it on a formal night. What color should I get? I do not want the dyeable shoes that match becuase I only will have one dress that is this color and I only want to bring one or two pairs of versatile 'formal night' shoes. One of these pairs will be a pair of black strappy platformish sandals that I could pretty much live in. I'm thinking of a silver or grey color, or will the black sandals work? Any ideas from the fashion mavens that frequent this board? Thanks in advance for any help!

Jessi

First Cruise - RCI's Legend thru Panama Canal

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;12;26;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Jessizadorable,

I think that a pewter leather sandal would be your best option. Metallics are very in right now so you'll have no trouble finding a pair.

In my opinion, black will look like you're "making do" as well as giving your outfit a more wintery feel.

Even if money were not an issue, I'd stay away from the dyed-to-match look. It's for bridesmaids that don't have a choice. For anyone else........I think that look went out before I was born. icon_biggrin.gif

Jane

In pageants we always used nude colored heels if it was impossible to match and black wouldn't do. The clear ones would work also. Nina had some nude satin strappy ones at Dillard's when I was shopping a few weeks ago. But black ones may look okay too. It all depends on the tone of the dress. I'd wait until you get it before investing in shoes for it.

Natalie

Superstar Leo to Alaska 5/22/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;5;22;15;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800http://community.webshots.com/user/natalunia

I have a long formal dress that sounds just like yours. I wore my black strappy sandles and I thought it worked.

Monarch of the Seas 09/92

Majesty of the Seas 11/93

Sovereign of the Seas 09/94

Majesty of the Seas 11/95

Grandeur of the Seas 11/99

Grandeur of the Seas 11/00

Grandeur of the Seas 06/01

Grandeur of the Seas 02/02

Navigator of the Seas 12/02

Rhapsody of the Seas 06/03

Radiance of the Seas 11/03

Grandeur of the Seas 05/04

Navigator of the Seas 11/04

If it's a long dress, I doubt that anyone will see what color your shoes are. I can honestly tell you that in all the cruises I have been on, I have never noticed what color of shoes anyone was wearing. I'm going to be wearing a long navy blue dress, with black shoes.icon_eek.gif I bought navy shoes, but just can't spare the room in my luggage for 1 pair of shoes that I will only wear 1 time on the cruise, so I'm going with black shoes. I am also wearing the black shoes with a raisin (purplish/red) color of dress. icon_smile.gif

I always thought black shoes went with any dark colored dress. Am I wrong? What would you wear with a cobalt blue dress? I have both a black pair of stappy sandals and a biegy-gold pair that I think was called "champagne" when I bought them.

I'm the fashionista flunkie, as I'll be wearing my dyed to match strappy sandals that came with the dress. I think they are super-cute, and they don't look too shabby with the dress they match.

Oh well, to each their own! icon_smile.gif

Lisa

Monarch of the Seas - 1994

Royal Majesty - 1996

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;5;9;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Until VICTORY is ours 5/9/04

<MARQUEE>A day at sea is better than a day at work</MARQUEE>

Hi

Either silver or pewter sandels will do. they are both in right now so shouldn't be hard to find. Black will do if you can't find the other colors. Good luck & enjoy your cruise. Where & when is it?

What about gold? I have a pair of gold strappy backless sandels that match several dresses well that I have never been able to find an exact match for. They aren't shiny gold but, a softer, muted gold.

Sovereign of the Seas 6/00

Fascination 6/01

Fantasy 6/03

Sovereign 6/04

opps... I thought black went with all also, but I mostly wear black based formals. Bought a new dress, a long purple formal. What color would work best with it?? the silver?? Thanks

HI Gambler,

It's not that black WON'T work, it just that it will look more wintery and frankly, not as exciting. If you're on a tight budget, then surely, don't stress and wear black. They match fine.

However, if you want to look more fashionable, metallics will work best. Silver or gold are both good with purple - of course, it depends on the shade of purple, so you need to make that decision in the store. The metallics that are most in style are darker in shade...so instead of thinking "aluminum foil" silver, think pewter. Instead of bright gold, think more bronzed.

Buy ones that you think will match more outfits so you can get more mileage out of them. I have sandals in both pewter and gold and am pleasantly suprised how much use I get out of them.

I'm now looking to buy a pair of metallics with stone crystals on the straps. I've seen a few pair this season that I love. I'm hoping they go on sale before we cruise in June!

Jane

Thanks Jane, sounds like a shopping trip is in order.

Comfort is where it's at. Quite honestly, no one will be looking at your feet but you. I have seen shoes come off on the dance floor. The rocking motion can contribute to aching feet. Look for something comfy if you can stand it.

Semetz,

I agree with you that "Comfort is where it's at". I'd never wear shoes that are uncomfortable. I wear new shoes on the carpet around the house when I first buy them. If I think there's going to be a comfort problem then they go right back to the store.

But when you say "Quite honestly, no one will be looking at your feet", I disagree.

Women LOVE shoes, so you think they don't look at the shoes other women wear? Not a prayer!

And if you think most men don't notice sexy shoes, you're really on the wrong track. icon_biggrin.gif

Jane

My husband and I have been married for 15 years and he is oblivious as to what goes on my feet.

He wouldn't know the difference between a pair of Manolo's or Ked's!

Of course I am not a NYC fashion expert but I am certainly not going to wear shoes to thrill any member of either sex.

Happy Cruising! icon_rolleyes.gif

Semetz,

You should, of course, wear what makes you happy and comfortable. We all should! Nor should you feel the need to "thrill anyone of either sex".

If your husband doesn't notice the difference between a pair of sneakers or a pair of dressy strappy sandals, I can now understand why you might think "No one will be looking at your feet".

But it's just not true. You might not care, that's your choice - but you are being looked at and opinions are being formed.....just not by your husband. icon_smile.gif

Jane

Koolart,

I've seen a few of the Michael Kors sandals this season, and I love the shade of deep bronze gold he's using. I don't recall seeing the ones you described, but then different stores carry different items.

Kor's sandals are definitely on my "hope they go one sale" list. icon_biggrin.gif

Semetz,

You think this thread is "getting" really shallow? LOL!

Just look at the headers on this forum. People talk about what color shoes to wear, how to tape their breasts for cleavage, jeans in the dining room, couples matching their outfits, hairdo's & don'ts, yadda yadda yadda.

I sure hope no one joins in here thinking this stuff is as important as a cure for cancer, ending terrorism, our sinking economy or wiping out domestic abuse.

Isn't this simply a pleasant diversion for most of us?

I love fashion, but I keep it in a healthy perspective with other aspects of life that are much more important.

Jane

Archived