Purses and large Bags

On our recent trip, I used a small backpack as my purse, and had no problem with it anywhere in St. Petersburg. My daughter was able to keep her regular shoulder bag with her. Only once at Peterhof, did my husband have to check his full size back pack.

Listen to the instructions from your tour guide, whether private or ship-sponsored. At either Catherine's Palace or Peterhof, our guide had made it quite clear that those with larger totes or backpacks would very likely be stopped upon entering and required to check them (which she did not advise, but suggested leaving them on the bus instead). One hard-headed guy on our bus still kept his large backpack and feigned surprise when he was refused entrance without checking it. Refusing to do so, he walked all the way back to the bus, holding up the entire group. Same guy became incensed with a bathroom attendant when he paid for the WC with a US dollar and received change in rubles. He demanded to see a manager and was quite rude. A classic Ugly American example.

• 2 weeks later...

I used my fanny pack when we toured the museums and palaces. Thus, my hands were free to take pictures and hold stair rails. When you are at palaces that require "booties" you will find the floors quite slippery and will want both hands free for balance. If you take a larger back pack or camera case, you can leave it on the tour bus.

Passengers were warned ahead of time by the shore excursion lecturer about large bags, etc. Sadly, we Americans all too often leave home with our Amex cards but forget our manners.

Darcy

Cruiseonly, Large bags can be a hassle in St. Petersburg for the museums. The tour guides will show you the size that is appoved to go into the museum, palace, etc. If you need to bring a large bag they will check the bag for you. One guy had a tripod & he was forced to check that as well.

I had a canvas tote bag (not huge), and it was ok.

You do need to be very careful of pick pockets as well in many of the ports.

Most times you can leave large bags on the bus, but, I do remember sometimes we had to take everything with us.

Enjoy your cruise :)

Hello all,

Just back from the Baltic and in the process of writing up the "review" for posting (trip was fabulous!).

On the topic of purses, I carry what is a slightly larger purse and the only place I was asked to check it was at Peterhof (the Grand Palace). It was actually a little funny as the woman checking people at the door, let others in our group in with larger bags then my purse. Our guide got a little upset (it's not THAT big), but I took out my passport and wallet and gave it to someone else to hold for me and checked the purse.

No big deal, I picked it up at the end of the tour.

There were requesting that backpacks get checked (I think because they were more "obvious").

Hope this helps.

Elin

This past August, I used a small travel purse (strap across the chest) and took it into the museums without any problems. It even held my digital camera (I have a small one) and I would leave it in my purse in places where I didn't pay for the photography fee.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived