Ebola and Cruising

Chelle28

Thank you for posting the link from DCL- that addresses the exact concerns. General statistics are not too helpful when it comes to epidemics and we Americans generally think we are invincible.

This from a woman who Clorox wipes airplane seats and trays before every flight. A flight attendant actually thanked me for doing that last week. Planes turn over so quickly that they are rarely thoroughly cleaned. I imagine the cleaning of cruise cabins is more thorough but anytime you are in in proximity to many others in a closed environment, germ transmission is a concern.

This is very different from AIDS. Another terrible epidemic but this is different.

Enjoy your cruise! Be prepared, not worried.

Thank you for posting the link from DCL- that addresses the exact concerns. General statistics are not too helpful when it comes to epidemics and we Americans generally think we are invincible.

This from a woman who Clorox wipes airplane seats and trays before every flight. A flight attendant actually thanked me for doing that last week. Planes turn over so quickly that they are rarely thoroughly cleaned. I imagine the cleaning of cruise cabins is more thorough but anytime you are in in proximity to many others in a closed environment, germ transmission is a concern.

This is very different from AIDS. Another terrible epidemic but this is different.

Enjoy your cruise! Be prepared, not worried.

If I'm honest with you, a quick wipe down of the obvious surfaces with a disinfectant, a quick spray and wipe of the bathroom, replacement of bedding linen and bathroom towels, a quick vacuum is all you are likely to get

Under the clock, the nightstand lamp, TV remote, and other surfaces is unlikely.

Just as in any hotel on land.

If you have a heathy immune system and are resilient to most common germs, no problem.

If there is a reported outbreak of Noro or other sickness in your Stateroom area, then extra additional cleaning will take place and additional SR host's will help out, or be drafted in from CM's that want overtime. (they will loo like SR host/ess's as they will be wearing the costume, not what they usually wear to do the job so you may not notice)

But there is only so much that can be done in the 8am-1:30pm time slot.

And those that push they want earlier admission to their SR are only fuelling the fire of infection and lack of through cleaning.

Personally I would say after Muster Drill (4:30) is a better time to allow all of the rooms to be cleaned, sanitized and made proper.

I would prefer the SR host/ess to take their time and do a through job on turnaround day, rather than earlier admission.

JMO.

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

While you are right from a cleaning standpoint, many families would go nuts if they couldn't get into their stateroom until 4:30. Screaming children who can't nap, exhausted parents who just want to drop their carry on bags and feel "at home" and just the desire to be "on" the ship all work against that idea.

It might help if they were a little more strict on the departure end. The policy says out of your cabin by 8 am, but stories abound of people "asking" to leave luggage in the room while they go to breakfast, etc. The host generally doesn't say no even though it means he can't clean their cabin till they get their stuff out.

I'm currently in a hotel and it is amazing to see how fast they freshen up the room each day. OK, I'm not trying to be a slob, but seriously, she turns this room in about 6 minutes and it looks spotless. She's a lot younger and more energetic than I am, but at that speed it can't possibly be really cleaned. I don't know how much time and effort goes into the room on check out.

As others said, im more concerned about cold/flu or norovirus. We are cruising the Dream in December but im trying not to worry about it. I always wash my hands and take precautions, but I cant let it run my life. Going to try and enjoy my cruise! :D

Well, by now, the hospital nurse's interview on the Today Show has been seen over and OVER again. Take reasonable, necessary sanitary precautions AS USUAL. Wash your hands frequently, steer clear of sick people, don't (you) cough on folks. Stay well rested, check the worrying at the door and.....CRUISE ON! :)

Well, by now, the hospital nurse's interview on the Today Show has been seen over and OVER again. Take reasonable, necessary sanitary precautions as usual. Wash your hands frequently, steer clear of sick people, don't (you) cough on folks. Stay well rested, check the worrying at the door and.....CRUISE ON! :)

Ebola - over 300,000,000 population in US. 1 known case that was contracted in US.

So many other things are way more likely.

The number of known infections has DOUBLED in recent days! :eek::eek::eek:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2014/10/17/cruise-ship-carrying-texas-ebola-nurse-refused-entry-in-belize/

I wonder how many more people will cancel now since this made the news.

NCL Breakaway Weekend 1/14

NCL Gem CTN 11/13

Disney Dream 8/2013

NCL Jewel 2 day CTN 1/2013

NCL Gem CTN 1/2012

Carnival Sensation Bahamas 3/12

Disney Magic NYC CTN 8/12

NCL Gem CTN 2/11

NCL Gem Bahamas 11/10

NCL Gem CTN 1/10

Carnival Sensation Bahamas 5 /09

NCL Spirit CTN 10/07

Carnival Fascination Bahamas 11/02

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2014/10/17/cruise-ship-carrying-texas-ebola-nurse-refused-entry-in-belize/

I wonder how many more people will cancel now since this made the news.

NCL Breakaway Weekend 1/14

NCL Gem CTN 11/13

Disney Dream 8/2013

NCL Jewel 2 day CTN 1/2013

NCL Gem CTN 1/2012

Carnival Sensation Bahamas 3/12

Disney Magic NYC CTN 8/12

NCL Gem CTN 2/11

NCL Gem Bahamas 11/10

NCL Gem CTN 1/10

Carnival Sensation Bahamas 5 /09

NCL Spirit CTN 10/07

Carnival Fascination Bahamas 11/02

We are set to cruise on Disney Dream 10/27. I am pretty reluctant about going. The "facts" that have been shared so far about this particular case make me uncomfortable but doesn't really increase my level of worry. It seems like the necessary precautions are being taken (proactively) in her case. What worries me the most is if our medical system has been this careless (untrained staff, safety protocols not always followed, slow to notify and ban travel) how can we expect the cruise industry to be any better?

I will be watching the events closely over the next 10 days and will not hesitate to cancel if things continue to spin out of control. We have 2 staterooms booked and the $3600 loss would be worth it to minimize my families potential to exposure.

if things do spin out of control, i'd also hope that the cruise industry would relax their cancellation policy some and/or offer some type of heavily discounted future cruise...wishful thinking i'm sure.

I talked to my pharmacist yesterday while getting my flu shot, and he honestly didn't feel as though Ebola was much of a risk, in the grand scheme of things.

Of course we could all just stay in our homes and be guaranteed (maybe) to never catch anything....but that seems ridiculous.

The likelihood of contracting it on a cruise ship (one that isn't sailing out of or to Africa) is pretty doggone slim. One in a million, maybe? The likelihood of Noro or a standard flu bug or the common cold......MUCH higher. If those things don't keep you from cruising, then neither should Ebola.

I talked to my pharmacist yesterday while getting my flu shot, and he honestly didn't feel as though Ebola was much of a risk, in the grand scheme of things.

Of course we could all just stay in our homes and be guaranteed (maybe) to never catch anything....but that seems ridiculous.

The likelihood of contracting it on a cruise ship (one that isn't sailing out of or to Africa) is pretty doggone slim. One in a million, maybe? The likelihood of Noro or a standard flu bug or the common cold......MUCH higher. If those things don't keep you from cruising, then neither should Ebola.

I totally agree!

keep-calm-and-cruise-on-31.png

ONE low risk person out 70 that possibly/may have came into contact with a specimen from the hospital went on a cruise.

How many people from the biology lab at your local hospital cruise each year?

I feel for those that are on that ship and have missed 2 ports already because of this scaremongering. The $200pp OBC and 50% off future cruise is over and beyond compensation by Carnival for something they had no control or knowledge of, but it must still be gutting to be on there.

The CDC really need to step their game up and figure out policies and standards for health care workers whilst treating Ebola patients, and afterwards until they are proven uninfected to stop this hysteria by the press.

ex techie

Meant to say before that now this unfortunate mistake has happened, it is most likely more safer to cruise NOW as additional steps will be taken by everyone. CDC, USDA, Immigration etc.

Edited by Ex techie

If I were on Ebola watch-list, self-monitoring list....

Would I get on a plane - NO.

Would I get on a bus - NO.

Would I go on a cruise - NO.

Common sense, people.

And if you had a cruise planned and your employer and the CDC said OK, no problems.....

ex techie

I'm sorry, but if common sense were involved in this whole debacle, then the CDC would have had everyone involved taken to small limited facility, NEVER in anyones wildest imagination to a general hospital, and everyone there would be contained within, until they could be deemed safe.

This casual approach seems too lax for a Governmental approach to what is so deadly and infectious. Apparently.

ex techie

I remain unconvinced that any of this is a real threat. It's smells of bird flu and H1N1 and Anthrax.

Did everyone notice all the flight sales to and from Dallas? :cool:

I agree.

Mass hysteria propgated by the media, encouraged by the inept government's world-wide, and their failure to manage the situation competently.

ex techie

I agree.

Mass hysteria propgated by the media, encouraged by the inept government's world-wide, and their failure to manage the situation competently.

ex techie

This is exactly correct, especially for the United States. It's election time, and something like this plays right into the hands of the Democratic party.

For the time being, they could close our borders to the "at risk" countries.....but that would go completely against what our current president wants to have happen.

I caught H1N1 during the 2009 epidemic. Its absolutely horrible. Its the sickest I've been in my life. And sadly my husband and I developed it two days into a holiday and we couldn't even fly home so we had to fly my mum to join us and look after the kids. Then she got it too.

Good news is that there is indiction that in fighting off swine flu, your body produces a vast range of antibodies that give a supercharged natural immunity to other flu viruses. (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-12152500) I still get the flu vaccine every year just to be safe.

But now I don't feel guilty about passing it on to my mum! :D

Edited by Katgoesonholiday

The H1N1 virus was fairly quickly countered with a vacine.

Now if only we can educate the ignorant in West Africa to stop eating bush meat (monkey meat, bats etc) we would have a solution to stop them infecting themselves and then others again.

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

We just got off the Dream today. The usual noro-fever health form that you fill out at check in has been replaced with one that has contact with ebola questions and also asks about prior travel to West Africa. There was no guest contact with food service in Cabanas or any other buffet like setting for the entire cruise. The public bathrooms had attendants constantly cleaning.