Added third person and now canceling them

Hubby and I booked our cruise in August. Then DD got time off from work and we added her as a third person, so we picked a new cabin for 3. At that time DH and I's price got lower as rates had gone down a bit and now we had a triple cabin. The total cabin price was higher so Carnival didn't care about P1 and P2 prices being lower because we just owed them the difference to the new total for 3.

Now DD may cancel due to a new job. Will they make us rebook in a double cabin and then we'd be subject to today's prices? It looks like we'd have to pay more if we wanted to pick our cabin. Guarantee rates are the same as they were when we added DD. We are very picky about our cabin location so we avoid guarantees.

Also, when do they refund the port taxes if she is just a no show and we don't want to risk changing our cabin?

Thanks for your help!

I'm not sure about your exact circumstances, but the same thing happened to us - after final payment. My brother had a 4 person cabin and then found out one person could not go. I called Carnival to tell them, my PVP said that they would be moved to a 3 person cabin - or - they could stay where they were and have the 4th person be a no-show. Luckily, we found someone to take the berth and my PVP changed the name on the reservation, after final payment. We were lucky since we were Early Saver.

Thank you. We have paid in full and are 35 days out from cruising. When I press the cancellation option on the booking it says that it would be 100% cancellation fee but I don't understand because for a 7 day Caribbean 30-55 days says 50%. It was not Early Saver. It was a More the Merrier rate.

I will call to see, but appreciate input from anyone else who had this happen.

Edited by tzais01

Since you are after final payment, the cancellation penalties would be the same whether it's Early Saver or More the Merrier. You are right that it should be 50% of the cruise fare, and you're closing in on the 75% penalty. Since you were never Early Saver at any point, you should be able to do a name change for a $50 fee if you found someone else who could go. If not, you could cancel & take the risk of being moved into a double, in order to get some of the money back. Since you are not cruising over Thanksgiving (high demand), the chances are better that you will not be moved. We have 2 booked in a 4-person room for the Splendor in less than 3 weeks, and had it booked since December, and have not been moved yet. I have heard that with no-shows, the port taxes are refunded to the original credit card after the cruise.

Previous poster was given a huge break, as Carnival not only broke their own rules there, they totally obliterated their own rules. So you never know what they might do for you if you call them up and see.

Thanks everyone for your input. It's strange because I was before the less than 30 window, so my cancellation should be 50% for the 3rd person. However, they are saying it is 100%. Looking at the cancellation rules, 55 to 30 days is Deposit or 50% of Total Fare, whichever is greater. The third person paid after final payment was due, within 75 days, so in essence had no deposit.

Does that make sense that cancellation is 100% penalty at this point?

Thanks everyone for your input. It's strange because I was before the less than 30 window, so my cancellation should be 50% for the 3rd person. However, they are saying it is 100%. Looking at the cancellation rules, 55 to 30 days is Deposit or 50% of Total Fare, whichever is greater. The third person paid after final payment was due, within 75 days, so in essence had no deposit.

Does that make sense that cancellation is 100% penalty at this point?

It doesn't make sense. The only thing that I can think is that they somehow booked her under a rate that doesn't allow any changes at all ever. But that wouldn't make sense, since you didn't book yourselves that way, and those kind of rates usually involve Carnival picking your room for you. If it's only the online thing that's saying it's 100%, then it's probably a glitch. If the phone reps are telling you that it's 100%, then I would argue the point and tell them what their policy is.

If she is a no show, the taxes and port charges will be returned, right? If you cancel her, not only will your rate be split in two and be higher, you'll possibly be moved (this is what you don't want). Is the monetary amount that could be lost really worth all this? If loss isn't severe, keep your current cabin with the no show and have peace of mind.