Scuba

Sfdtiller

Probably the only one you will hear negative about is the one the cruise ships use, SandDollar. They have a bad rap as a cattle boat. I have never used them so I can only go on rumor.

As far as other dive ops, I have used several and never been disappointed. Your BIGGEST issue is going to be finding a dive op that take you as the cruise ships usually get in AFTER the boats have gone out for morning dives.

What pier will you be at?

What time?

How many people?

Do you need gear or bringing all your own?

these are things you need to discuss with them.

MOST dive ops in Cozumel (at least 50 dive ops!) only own 1 boat, maybe 2 boats. They are also usually 6pack or 8pack size. A few dive ops have multiple boats, some are close to Puerta Maya and some are closer to downtown Puerta Langosta.

Dive ops with multiple boats that MIGHT be able to take you:

PapaHogs... located near PM

Dive Paradise... several locations

Aqua Safari....located in town near PL

Dive with Martin... located at PM

Scuba Club Cozumel... (our favorite).. located halfway between

If you have 4 or more divers, then it will be easier to book. If you are solo, it might be tough. If that is the case, you will probably have to use SandDollar.

We booked with Scuba with Alison. We were originally going to be cruisers but changed our mind and spent the whole week in Cozumel diving. The boat was "late" several days to wait for cruisers, including one day when the cruise ship docked late. She will work with cruise ships.

I thought she was pretty affordable since we needed gear (gear at other ops drove the price up a lot.) Her gear was also in excellent condition; better than what I had used at my local dive shop when I rent for local dives. And the regulator always tasted of fresh detergent :)

She has a very reliable fast boat and an excellent captain. She sends her divers up as they are low on air/NDL time- not as a group; Carlos, the captain picks you up almost immediatly. One thing I liked about Alison is that she accompanies divers to their safety stop, while watching the group below, and then goes back down to rejoin them- that way the (likely) less experienced divers who go up first aren't left to their own devices. She is very safety conscious, but worked well with mixed groups of beginners and more experienced divers. Everyone on the boat seemed happy with the dives!

Her boat holds 8, but it isn't necessary to charter it to dive off a cruise ship. Some days we had 1 cruiser, others 2 or 4.

You will need to get a taxi to the Caleta if you use her.

Edited by skittl1321

I have dove twice in the past year using the Carnival excursion. I had no problem what so ever. Both times were good dives and saw lobster, crab and plenty of fish. I will use them again when I return. The dive shop is right there at the cruise ship pier, very convenient. The price was very competitive. :)

Thanks I will check them all out, we have a group of 4 so hopefully that helps

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you have a group of 4, then you should have less problems booking with a dive op. That many people will make it worthwhile for them to schedule a later departure to accomodate you.

And Scuba Alison does get good reviews from what I have heard. Good to call them and see what they can do.

I think all the ones ABQrobin listed have shore dives listed on there web sites. Those are much more common than boat trips. I seem to remember that hotel barracuda has one of the shops based there but I think a few pick up there.

Does anyone know of any companies that do beach/shore dives?

I would never pay for a guide for beach/shore dive in Cozumel. First... the water is crystal clear and you will not get very far off shore. The reefs are WAY too far off shore to swim to and you would be in grave danger if you tried. Cozumel has current that is strong which is another reason you will not be far off shore if diving from shore. Shore diving Cozumel means swimming around coral rubble, rocks, etc and looking for fish.

Boat diving means you will go OUT to the reefs to dive. WELL worth EVERY penny. If you want to see Cozumel underwater, do it. No comparison!

Those are much more common than boat trips.

Have you dove in Cozumel? (I'm wondering if you speak from personal experience?)

In my experience, shore diving in Cozumel is extremely uncommon. There really isn't a lot to see close to shore. 2 tank morning boat dives are what the vast majority of Cozumel divers do. Then a fraction of them will go out for afternoon, twilight, or night dives.

Cozumel is known for it's incredible reef, which is off-shore.

The shore dives near hotels are usually used by people who just want to test out their equipment, or really just want a bit more water time for 3rd and 4th dives in the day. Or people who do macro photography.

If I was advising someone going diving in Cozumel, especially off a cruise ship where they just have one day, I wouldn't waste time with a shore dive. Going off a boat is where the best stuff is! (No problem asking the op you book with for an easy dive. My first day in Cozumel we dove Palancar Gardens and Columbia Shallows- super simple dives.)

Just a general note: If you dive in the marine park in Cozumel, you have to have a guide. That's MOST of the southern area.

Edited by skittl1321

Have you dove in Cozumel? (I'm wondering if you speak from personal experience?)

In my experience, shore diving in Cozumel is extremely uncommon. There really isn't a lot to see close to shore. 2 tank morning boat dives are what the vast majority of Cozumel divers do. Then a fraction of them will go out for afternoon, twilight, or night dives.

Cozumel is known for it's incredible reef, which is off-shore.

The shore dives near hotels are usually used by people who just want to test out their equipment, or really just want a bit more water time for 3rd and 4th dives in the day. Or people who do macro photography.

If I was advising someone going diving in Cozumel, especially off a cruise ship where they just have one day, I wouldn't waste time with a shore dive. Going off a boat is where the best stuff is! (No problem asking the op you book with for an easy dive. My first day in Cozumel we dove Palancar Gardens and Columbia Shallows- super simple dives.)

Just a general note: If you dive in the marine park in Cozumel, you have to have a guide. That's MOST of the southern area.

I meant in reference to my research, all the sites I visited/emailed offered shore dives, not all can or will take cruise passengers on boat dives. The schedules don't match up well and we don't have enough to charter the boat for a later departure. Working with two now and hoping we can make something work.