guarantee...good or bad thing?

Boatingmom

That depends on the cruise, the one we booked about a month ago, offered lowest level balcony one level over GTY balcony at the same price as the GTY, but also showed as to be assigned, not pick your own. Picking your own at level BD or BE was $170 pp more than the GTY, we booked GTY and were assigned a fairly good BB Balcony.

The base price is not cheaper. Within a given category, the price for a guaranty and for a specific cabin are identical.

Yeah but ... there are times when the only thing available

in a particular category is a guarantee. So, it you want

to select a particular cabin you have to go up in price

one or more categories.

33rd Princess cruise beginning this weekend, and we got our best ever upgrade. We book balcony gty if it is warm sailing, and o/v obstr if it is Europe in the fall. We have been lucky enough to be upgraded from o/v obs to balcony several times, and our balconies have always been a nice mid ship location. We hit the jackpot this week, with an upgrade from our assigned mid ship balcony (on a balc gty) to a mid ship mini suite, on a 28 day cruise. Happy, happy, happy!

We also booked a guarantee balcony. I know that we will enjoy whatever cabin we are assigned, but I just like knowing where we are being located. We are open to upgrades, but those are hit and miss, at best.

I went on line, explored a mock cruise. It appeared that there are several cabins still unchosen in the category we are in. I even wrote the cabin numbers down from the "Select My Own" option. I called Princess to see if there was any idea when the cabin would be assigned. I was told that there was only one cabin "available". That in itself (available) seems to have hidden connotations. So, now I am thoroughly confused. I have about 20 cabin numbers written down from the Princess website under "Select My Own", but the Princess agent says only ONE is available.

Even though I do not understand the difference in available and unchosen, I thanked her for looking for me. Guess I am just super excited. I love to cruise, and Princess is always our choice.