Carnival Dream 10/5/2014 - 10/12/2014, Review and Pictures

ch27088

Good morning everyone:

Just got back in town from our cruise on the Carnival Dream. This will be my first time doing a review, so try and give me a break, okay? I will answer any and all questions regarding the Dream review.

I'm thinking the easy way for me to do this is break it up into sections:

1. Pre-Cruise

2. Cruise

3. Post-Cruise

Also, if someone can let me know how to add the pictures, I'd appreciate it. I think someone mentioned that you have to upload your pictures to a different site, right?

I hope to get started on the cruise today, but as you see, it might take a bit as I get started.

Edited by Help@

Very nice......hopefully your font size will be smaller then the first post. :D

Sorry "Lostdart1", but as I said, I haven't done a review before, and believe me I am trying hard to get it resized. If you have done one and can help me, please tell me how!! LOL!!!

Sorry "Lostdart1", but as I said, I haven't done a review before, and believe me I am trying hard to get it resized. If you have done one and can help me, please tell me how!! LOL!!!

Apparently you got the font size correct in this post....:confused:

Apparently you got the font size correct in this post....:confused:

Because there was an option for me to choose. Now going back to my review, there is no "edit" button, no "font choices". I've already submitted a request to the administrators, but I have an idea and may contact someone I know that does reviews all the time.

If you have done a review, I gladly accept your suggestions or direction.

To add pictures, it would be best to upload them to Flicker, photobucket, or one similar. Once uploaded, look for the IMG code, see picture attached, (bottom line). Copy that then paste into your message. There is a TEST forum, (see top of main board page), to practice before you post

untitled.jpg <<<see the last line,

Hope this helps.

We were on the same cruise! Looking forward to your review...and contemplating doing my 1st review as well!

We are sailing the Dream in March! I would love to read both of your reviews, can't wait to hear the details.

I know it has taken me a long time to get this going, but I'm here and ready to get started

Pre-CRUISE

DH and I got up early on Saturday morning ready to start our vacation. Everything was going according to plan (I am OCD when it comes to organization), and organization for the cruise is key for me. Our plan was to drive the rental down to Birmingham, and then get on the train to New Orleans.

We left Huntsville right on time at 8:30 AM, and by 9:45 AM we were pulling into the Birmingham Airport to drop off the rental. My sister picked us up from the airport, and then took us so we could purchase sandwiches, chips, and snacks for the train ride. Our train was leaving at 12:03 PM, so once we packed our lunch, we were off to the Amtrak station.

Now, none of us had been to the Amtrak station before, and I was really shocked that the Birmingham station looked like it did. In fact, I was a little afraid for my sister to leave her car parked in the parking lot while we were checking in, but everything was fine. The train showed up on time, and we left at 12:05 PM. The ride on the Amtrak train to New Orleans is seven hours. I could have driven, but DH is legally blind leaving me to do the driving. I really didn't feel up to it, and the train was the next best thing to do. We were comfortable, and was able to relax and sleep in reclining seats. In fact, we had more leg room on the train, then you do on a plane.

The ride to New Orleans on the train was really nice. It does stop at several stations along the way, but again, we knew it was going to take seven hours, so we just sat back and relaxed.

NOTE: if you decide to take the train, my suggestion is to dress warm. The train runs the air conditioner and it got really chilly. Knowing this from previous travels on the train, I dressed in sweats, and was still a cold. Take a light blanket that you can roll up and pack in your carry on. Also as a reminder, I didn't think to check and see if Amtrak had weight restrictions like the plane with luggage. When we checked our bags to New Orleans, my suitcase was actually 6 lbs. overweight (it was the shoes)! I opened up my bag and just took out a few items and placed them in DH's suitcase...all was right with the world and my suitcase was fine.

We arrived in New Orleans around 7:40 PM, got a cab to our hotel and got checked in. We stayed at the La Quinta Inns and Suites in Metairie, LA just a few miles from New Orleans. We wanted to stay around the downtown area, or near the port, but the hotels were just too pricey that weekend. I understand that there were home games (New Orleans Saints) each Sunday in October, so that was the reason why all the hotels were booked, and also so high in price. I got the La Quinta for $86.00 for the night. I don't mean to sound cheap, but why pay over $100+ if we are only going to be there for the one night.

Note: I always check the room before we get settled and had wipes and spray ready for the room. I suggest that if you stay at this hotel, to check everything and spray before you settle in. They were very pleasant, took great care of us, but not very thorough with their cleaning.

Next up will be Cruise Day!

Edited by ch27088

Cruise Day

Yeah, it's cruise day!!! After waiting for so long, our day is finally here... We woke up early and went to have breakfast. It was okay, but all I wanted was coffee and a danish. I knew that we would eat once we got on the ship, so I wasn't to worried about eating (more on that later).

After a quick bite to eat, we wanted to get soda and water, so off to the closet store (which was only down the street). But they only had a 24 bottle case of water. You know as well as I do, that carrying something like that would be too hard, so we ended up buying two one gallon bottles of water. They didn't have cases of soda, so we just left that alone, again it would have been too hard to carry any way.

Once we got back to the hotel, I asked the clerk what would be a good time to call for a taxi. Now again, I'm OCD when it comes to getting some where on time, and making sure that we have everything we need. She told me that because it was football day, a festival going on, and also people going to the port, it might be a good idea to call the cab early. I thought it was too early to call them at 9:30 AM, but it turned out to be a great time. Our cab arrived, we got in and off we go. Now, let me tell you that when I say that traffic was bad, IT WAS BAD!!! Our cab driver did the best he could to get us to the port...he drove on the side streets, then on the highway, then back on the side streets. We got to the port and came to a complete HALT! Leaving the hotel at around 9:45 AM, can you believe that we finally got to the port around 11:30 (yup, it took that long). I had actually "mapped out" the route to see how long it should take for us to get there, and according to the route, it should have taken no longer than 20 minutes. So if you are in the area when a football game is going on that day, my suggestion is to get to the port early (I'm serious).

Okay so remember I mentioned earlier that I wasn't too worried about eating because we would eat on the ship. Well, DH is diabetic and I always tell him that even if I don't eat a lot, he needs to make sure that he eats. When we got to the port, and got out of the cab, it was a complete mess. The New Orleans Port really needs direction. Not one porter came to our cab to meet us and take our luggage. Now we've been on cruises before, and each time we arrived at the port, a porter was right there at the trunk of the car waiting for our luggage. We ended up rolling our luggage, our carry-on bags, and the water (see why I'm glad we didn't get the soda), weaving in and out of cruisers returning, and cruisers leaving trying to find a porter. I finally asked one if he would take our bags, which he did. I tipped him, and we finally make it to the terminal. Again, just my honest opinion, there is too much confusion there. People standing every where, police officers directing traffic, but no one giving directions for cruisers that are leaving, where they should go, or for cruisers who are arriving, where they should go. Now, I am taking the lead going into the terminal, and I look back at DH and notice that he is starting to sweat. Because he is legally blind in one eye, quite a bit older than me, and also diabetic, I knew that he was going to be in trouble unless I got him inside quick.

We got to the terminal, went through security. I walked through and was fine, they didn't check my water bottle, my carry-on, nothing. DH goes through and the lights go off, and he beeps as he is walking through. Man, here we go. I told him to take off his belt, but he says it's his glass case (really DH, your eye glass case), he beeps, and beeps, and beeps. All this time, he is sweating and I can tell that he needs to eat. Another thing I want to mention is that months before our cruise, I had anticipated that DH may have some problems walking and standing for quite a long time so I requested a wheelchair on the Carnival website for him. As DH was still taking off more and more clothes trying to go through security without beeping, I told another agent that I had requested a wheelchair, and where would I get that. She just points to the terminal and said "up there". DH FINALLY gets through security, he's looking flushed (can you tell what is about to happen), and now we are directed to the far end of the terminal. As we pass agents, I ask them about getting a wheelchair, and they just point for us to get in line. DH is now wobbling and sweating profusely and if I don't get a wheelchair for him soon, I'm going to be saying "man down, man down".

So, we are in line weaving back and forth trying to get up to the front of the line, and I decide to ask another agent for a wheelchair. I explain to her that I had requested one online for my husband, and if we don't get one soon, he's going down. She ignored me, totally ignored me. Now I'm pissed, I've been calm, I've been good, and I'm now ready to jump on someone. But, DH (the calm one) tells me he's okay, and that he can wait. It's finally our time for check in, and we get up to the counter and spend all of 5 minutes checking in. Again, I ask the agent if she can tell if I had requested a wheelchair for my husband, and she says "yes, you did". So, ummm, where's the wheelchair. She tells me, you have to go over there and sit down, and then hands us our boarding card that was #16...wait what, you mean he has to still walk, you have GOT TO BE KIDDING. So, we walk over to find some seats, and that's when I saw a row of seats that says "special assistance". Hmmmm, maybe that's where we need to be, so I tell DH to follow me and that's where we sat. A young lady (Carnival Agent), came over and finally asks if we need a wheelchair. Yes, please, we need a wheelchair. Now mind you, there were other people being wheeled over to where we were sitting in wheelchairs by Carnival agents. They also had special "red" boarding cards that said "special assistance". I just shook my head and said "whatever". We are on vacation, and DH finally is in a wheelchair.

They finally start boarding and we waited about 15 minutes before an agent came up and said he was ready to wheel DH on board. It was time, finally after three years of waiting, three years of no vacation, we were finally getting on the Carnival Dream for our 7-day cruise. All the hassle and trouble we had before, was now gone, because we are officially on vacation.

More to come later...

To add pictures, it would be best to upload them to Flicker, photobucket, or one similar. Once uploaded, look for the IMG code, see picture attached, (bottom line). Copy that then paste into your message. There is a TEST forum, (see top of main board page), to practice before you post

untitled.jpg <<<see the last line,

Hope this helps.

Thank you for your help with this. First time doing a cruise and I am NOT "tech savvy".

I was on this cruise with you and I agree that NO needs to work on the embarkation process. We arrived around 10:30 via cab and you're right, not a porter in site nor anyone to direct you to where you need to go. Finally found the area where they were putting the luggage through and checked in our big bags. Asked where we needed to go to check in and just got a guy pointing in the general direction on down the street. When we finally did find the area it was completely filled up with nowhere to sit. In Galveston they have a special area where the people who purchased FTTF could sit. We finally found an empty spot to stand up against the wall until we were called to board but then had to fight our way through the crowd to get there. Disembarkation on the other hand went very smooth. No lines at customs and cabs were lined up ready to go. Still didn't find a porter though.

Hi neighbor! I'm in Decatur, AL and my DH & I will be on the Dream in Aug 2015 to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. Can't wait for more of your review. What was your itinerary?

Carnival Fantasy 2006

Carnival Destiny 2011

Edited by Bamamom1916

I was on this cruise with you and I agree that NO needs to work on the embarkation process. We arrived around 10:30 via cab and you're right, not a porter in site nor anyone to direct you to where you need to go. Finally found the area where they were putting the luggage through and checked in our big bags. Asked where we needed to go to check in and just got a guy pointing in the general direction on down the street. When we finally did find the area it was completely filled up with nowhere to sit. In Galveston they have a special area where the people who purchased FTTF could sit. We finally found an empty spot to stand up against the wall until we were called to board but then had to fight our way through the crowd to get there. Disembarkation on the other hand went very smooth. No lines at customs and cabs were lined up ready to go. Still didn't find a porter though.

PDC55, I just didn't get it. The embarkation process was just bad. Everyone was just crowded all together, cruisers leaving and arriving, and they were blocking the entrance of the terminal. They really need a better process, right?

Thanks for reading.

Hi neighbor! I'm in Decatur, AL and my DH & I will be on the Dream in Aug 2015 to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. Can't wait for more of your review. What was your itinerary?

Carnival Fantasy 2006

Carnival Destiny 2011

Hi there yourself...The itinerary for the cruise was as follows:

Sunday - New Orleans

Monday - At sea

Tuesday - At sea

Wednesday - Mahogany Bay, Isla Roatan Honduras

Thursday - Belize

Friday - Cozumel, Mexico

Saturday - At sea

You will enjoy the Dream. I don't think she's the biggest ship in the fleet, but pretty close.

Hope this helps, and thanks for reading.