Travel Steamers??

We quit bringing the steamer and just send a few things out for pressing only. It is reasonable at 1/2 price of dry cleaning.

Monarch of the Seas 09/92

Majesty of the Seas 11/93

Sovereign of the Seas 09/94

Majesty of the Seas 11/95

Grandeur of the Seas 11/99

Grandeur of the Seas 11/00

Grandeur of the Seas 06/01

Grandeur of the Seas 02/02

Navigator of the Seas 12/02

Rhapsody of the Seas 06/03

Radiance of the Seas 11/03

Grandeur of the Seas 05/04

Navigator of the Seas 11/04

I have a Rowenta travel steamer that I bought a couple years ago for around $25. While we unpack, I have the steamer hot and ready to go. I steam anything that may need it and then pack the steamer back into the suitcase. Just a few things need a minor touchup, no big deal. If you pack with care and lots of dry cleaning bags you won't have many wrinkles.

My daughter has a long prom type gown for our next cruise. I'm thinking it will not pack well and need a major pressing. That I will send off to be pressed, it is about half the cost of dry cleaning. There is not enough time on my vacation to spend ironing, and not enough space in the cabin to set up an ironing surface.

Kathy

I have a Phillips. It was fairly expensive and is bulky but I've taken it on all my cruises. Use it once. I've found that if you're cruising to the Caribbean, the humidity often takes all the wrinkles out.

Beth

We just bought a new one made by American Tourister. Its the best one I've ever had. Easy to handle and powerful.

Sovereign of the Seas

'92 '95 '96 '97 '97 '99

Nordic Empress '92

Mornarch of the Seas '93 '97

Song of America '93 '94

Starward '94

Facination '95

Century '97 '00

Destiny '98 Mercury '98

Enchantment of the Seas '99

Millinnium '01 '02 '02

Grand Princess '01

Norweigian Majesty '03

Infinity '03

Summit '03

Majesty of the Seas '04

Navigator of the Sea '04

I always bring the travel steamer but, have never had to use it so far!! Better safe than sorry though so, I'll bring it with me again in a few weeks.

Sovereign of the Seas 6/00

Fascination 6/01

Fantasy 6/03

Sovereign 6/04

Is a travel steamer easier to use than a travel iron? I've used a travel iron before, but there is usually limited flat space to use as a make-shift ironing board, that I never seem to do great job of ironing. If a steamer does a better job I might try that.

Enchantment of the Seas 5/2004

Vision of the Seas 8/2003

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by nosnobunny:

I've found that if you're cruising to the Caribbean, the humidity often takes all the wrinkles out.

Beth<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me, too.

Or, I've just hung what needed a little steaming in the bathroom while I showered and voila ! wrinkles gone.

My experience with travel irons is that they tend to overheat and leave marks on the clothing (especially whites and lighter colors). I bring my Rowenta steamer to get out the wrinkles from being scrunched in the suitcase. Anything major, like a suit jacket, gets sent out for pressing.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;06;06;23;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

June 6-Golden

RDMOREU Regular irons are not permitted on ships because of the wattage of the appliance. Travel irons and steamers have a much lower wattage and will not blow the fuse. If you bring along a strong hair dryer, you can also blow a fuse with that. Many people think the fire hazzard with irons is leaving the appliance unattended, but is the risk of sparking from the high wattage of the appliance.

My travel iron has never gotten hot enough to get out wrinkles, much less scortch fabric. It's a hassle to iron on vacation, I wish I had the funds to get everything pressed. I will just stick with what works best for us right now.

Kathy

• 2 weeks later...

We brought a travel iron and never used it. The few wrinkles we had were no more than what would happen if you put on your skirt and then sat down in your chair at dinner. So I didn't worry about it.

And as for hair dryers, my 1600 watt did fine so it might depend on the ship or even how many of your neighbors are using their plugs at the same time. Not sure how that works on a ship.

Cheers,

Carol

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800000&cdt=2004;12;11;23;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Constellation - Dec 11 2004 - Southern Caribbean

Summit - May 7 2004 - S. America Panama Canal

this trick actually works... somewhat... when you take your clothes to the cleaners before your cruise, ask them to put each garment in it's own plastic bag... then leave them in those bags when you pack and they will come out less wrinkled... icon_smile.gif

Archived