A shocking view

With all the threads about appropriate dressing, I thought I'd let you in on my experience this weekend. I was in Hechts trying on some dresses (formals - for my cruise), and as I walked out, a movement to my left caused me to turn my head. What I saw actually made me blink, and drop my jaw. I'm sure the crowd around the register saw me. To my left was the cashier - she was bending over getting a bag from below the counter. She was a rather large girl, and she was wearing pants that were so low they looked as it they were actually falling off. She had a top on that of course did not meet the pants, and I was greeted with this HUGE broad behind, WITH A BIG BLUE TATTOO. I have to say I was completely disgusted. I even wrote a letter the to manager. I just can't believe that people walk out the door looking like this, and that employers allow it. It's way beyond tacky. YUCK.

Adventure of the Seas will be our maiden cruise!
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;8;15;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

And I'm sure she had the thong to go with it. I just don't understand - how sad. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=FFA000&cdt=2005;04;02;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
OUR NEXT ONWARD JOURNEY!

My amazement is that she wore that outfit TO WORK! Not just out the door, but to her job. And the company allowed it? Does not both the cashier and the company realize that how you present yourself at work also represents the company. And I was worried that the dress I'm wearing to work shows my knees. (barely though) Gotta sign off, dry my hair and get out the door.

Kathy

Last Cruise -- Maasdam - E. Carrib - 11/03
Next Cruise -- Volendam - Eastfarer - 12/04

I see this sort of thing so much in California and it is always dismaying. What is "trendy" always eventually filters down to everyone and not everyone should try to be "trendy". I'm thinking the tatoo removal business will make a fortune in a few years. I also can't wait for the bare midrif look to go away, there are not that many skinny flat bellied young women who look good in them, but this "trend" continues. I was taught in hair styling school to go with a trend, but never be "trendy", because that means the look has filtered down to the masses.

My son, who is now 15, talks of getting tatoos, I tell hime he can do what he wants with his body after he does not live here anymore. I can't stop him then, but for now I talk up the fact that why not be different and not get tatoos. I apologize to those that think they are fine, I just have a different perspective. Treat your body like a temple and take good care of it.

Kathy

Kathy, I'm with you about the tatoos. We recently went to the wedding of a friend's daughter. The bride is a truly beautiful girl who chose to wear a strapless gown. She looked stunning walking down the aisle on her dad's arm. But as she took her groom's hand and turned to the altar, it was hard to ignore the large tatoo in the middle of her shoulder. Blew the image for me. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Do you ever wonder what these tatoos are going to look like once the wearer is old and wrinkled? [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

Beth

Hey ! be fair in regards to tattoos. They are a personal choice and way for people to express themselves. It may not be your choice but I'm sure you express yourself in how you dress or the jewelry you wear. While not permanent they are still your choices, nonetheless. I'm sure at one time you wore questionable shoes or your hair in a manner that not everyone else thought was "cool."

And, yes, I have tattoos and know exactly what they will look like when I'm old and wrinkled. Frankly, that will be the least of my worries at that age.

I have six friends who had gotten tattoos when they weren't the rage. Every singe one of them now wish they never had gotten them and two have gotten them lasered off. Yes, they are part and parcel of personal expression, but many times when kids get them, it's not something that's thought through and they regret it later.

What I have a problem with is going to places like restaurants when the servers are completely covered with tattoos and then the multiple piercings and the dyed hair which is either jet black or some neon color. I'm sorry, but that is completely distasteful to me. A pierced ear is fine, but once you get the eyebrow, nose, tongue (that one I definitely don't understand), lip and chin, it just is plain unappetizing. Self expression is fine, but that doesn't mean that the entire world likes looking at it.

Darcie

I didn't mean to offend anyone with my comments. The difference between my choice in clothing or jewellery is that I can take it off if my taste in self-expression changes. A tatoo should be considered to be permanent. As long as you're old enough to realize that, then by all means go ahead.

There is another thing to consider. My job involves being close up and personal with tatoo parlors. Most do not understand the concept of sterilization.

Beth

I guess it depends on your job. I would imagine that the corporate world also many fine department stores would not care to have their employees showing them. As long as you are happy and you can hide them when they are not appropriate I say, no problem.

My post was not specifically referring to tattoos. I don't care what you write on your bum - but don't be showing it to me in THAT manner!!

Adventure of the Seas will be our maiden cruise!
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;8;15;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

Scarlet Fever, Yes, you are right, it is your choice and your expression. Most of us do express ourselves with jewelry, clothing, hair etc...

The difference is that clothing, jewelry, hair etc... is not permanent. You will reach an age much sooner than you think that you will wish you had never done that. You may not agree now, but we all have some regrets in our lives, some we can change, some we cannot. My dearly departed father used to say "youth is wasted on the young". I could not understand that statement until I was over 35.

Happysinglemom, I wholeheartedly agree, I don't care to see anyones bum in public. I recently heard from a co-worker that the current bikini top that goes with thong bottoms are pasties. That is another thing I don't care to see, but I'll bet there are a lot of happy young men at the beach this year.

Kathy

Well, different strokes, I guess. I got a tattoo when I was 50. I love it and I truly don't care if no one else does. It's not that big and it's in a place where it can only be seen if I want it seen. What does it matter what anyone else does? Personally, I don't want my butt hanging out but if others choose to do that, it doesn't bother me.

Diamond Princess!!!!
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;7;31;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]

I got a tattoo like 5 yrs ago and at 27 I still love it! I think its awesome and hides a few old stretch marks I have on my lower back ( I like tattoos on girls that are only visible when you want it to be visible) Im not down with the rose on your chest look - but thats my personal taste, and I dont expect anyone to agree- I however get disgusted when I see the fat girls(which I am one) with the low hugging jeans....COME ON really. Its so nasty - I wanna see that about as badly as I wanna see the plumber crack.
I was at the Lane Bryant last week and couldnt believe all the cute tie around shirts they had - tried them on and everyone was see through. They looked bad on me on a smaller 18/20 (btwn sizes) and what disturbs me is that they go all the way up to 30/32 and see through...yech! I mean what are they thinking. I dont wanna look at my own stomach nonetheless another fat girls stomach, back fat and bra. Im not trying to be mean but some things should be hidden - same with the size 4 girl thats had 3 kids and whose stomach looks like a hanging piece of flesh - sure her stomachs flat and shes skinny but she doesnt look good in a mid drift. I think the manufacturers are part to blame though - there should be no shirts that arent specifically made to be worn over a tank over a size 14 that are see through. Same goes for stretch - please noone over a 12 or 14 (Im being generous too) should wear stretch jeans or pants. I d rather look at an old faded tattoo than these horrible displays of expression. Just because its the style doesnt mean it looks good on you and just because they make it in your size doesnt mean you have to wear it. Come on girls...snap out of it...I mean I wont even wear a loose tank top because I feel my arms are too big(others prolly dont - but Im wearing it so I care) I will wear it in the Carib where Ill never see those people again though [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Enchantment Feb,2002; Monarch Nov,2002; Radiance Nov,2003; Golden Princess Feb 28,2004
[img]http://pstr-g01.ygpweb.aol.com/data3/00C/5C/90/C8/A1/E8jxdiZ9faFKEKEk7kLioMO+rbBbKHM20060.jpg[/img]

Catsix, You're funny! Thanks for the laugh. I have a friend whose mother got a tatoo at the age of 72, this was 25 years ago. I never could figure out why, it was also in a place where no one but her would see it. I guess I always thought people got tatoos to show off???

Kathy

Got my first tattoo at 18, second at 19, third at 25. Way before it was the "in" thing to do. They are all things that mean something to me - representative of a time of my life. Two can bee seen (or not) depending on what I'm wearing and the third that is only visible in a bathing suit.

I'm going to be 37 next month and never regretted any one of them for a minute!

lszu
Sovereign 7/99
Monarch 7/00
Vision 9/01
Voyager 9/02
Adventure 9/03

I'm getting a visual of that gal's tattoo on her backside. Ewwwwwwww! Poor girl could really use some help finding clothes that at least fit.

I don't have a tattoo and don't want one but, as many of the younger generation in my family have chosen this form of self-expression, I've had to hold my tongue. I almost flipped when my youngest DD came home with a dolphin on her leg. I finally got used to it and don't even notice it anymore. My nephew in the Marines has several service related tatoos and somehow I find them more acceptable. I must be getting mellow in my "old" age. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

[img]http://www.bensleyraceteam.com/Ani_Gif_Images/bookworm2.gif[/img]

Navigator OTS 10/04
Legend 04/04
Grand Princess 09/03
Dawn Princess 01/03
Enchantment OTS 10/02
Destiny 01/02
Sensation 08/99

I guess you haven't been in a middle school lately! [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] We fight a constant battle over clothing, mostly with girls. They all want to wear the belly shirts (the ones that show the midriff or lower abdomen) with low-rise, tight pants. We've had to pull aside a few young ladies who have worn low-rise pants with thong underwear that is plainly visible over the waistband. Another wore white pants with a black thong. Their tops look painted on and many of them are wearing push-up bras. I don't remember so many of my contemporaries at that age having eye-popping cleavage as these girls do! It's hard to believe the boys can keep their minds on their schoolwork when there's a floor show going on.

Since it's getting to be spring we had our annual "remember the dress code" lecture with them: no too-short skirts or shorts, no skin-tight tops or revealing necklines (or cut-out tops!!), no spaghetti straps, no tanks with big armholes (guys mostly), no visible underwear for anyone. They didn't argue, and the girl with the plunging neckline in my 8th grade class tugged the neckline up and the hem of her shirt down. They didn't protest when I told them they know where to find modest clothes- and it's not at Aeropostale or Abercrombie.

Stella Solaris '80
Carnival Celebration '92
RCCL Majesty of the Seas '01
Coral Princess '04

Mezzaluna, They should come to our Elementary school and have that talk with the teachers. They wear white see through tops and shirts showing a lot of cleavage and most of their breasts.
I dress very professional and always wear panty hose.
I do wear mid drifts tops to go out and show my belly. I have a flat stomach since I work out.

Imagination 8/02
Glory 8/03
Victory 3/04

Days til Miracle Partae Pirates Cruise from Tampa
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2005;02;13;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600[/img]
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/build17/myhomepage/partaepiratessmallsmall.gif?mtbrand=AOL_US[/img]

Archived