Wait to book November cruises!

Pattilabelle73

Especially, if you don't care about what cabin you will get. I have learned the hard way that there is really no benefit in booking early for this time of year. I booked back in May for a November 30th cruise and prices were pretty steady until after final payment (kind of expected that), but I did not anticipate that the cabins would drop more than 50%. Wow!! I have upgraded a couple of times at full asking price and am now in a Aft facing Balcony that dropped $40 3 hours after I paid (:eek: lol) and continued to drop another $135 over the next week.

I loooooove my cabin, but I have learned a valuable lesson to WAIT! lol I love November cruising because its my birthday month, so next time I will book the lowest priced cabin, pay on it until the day before final payment and then I will cancel and play the waiting game. I'm sure that I am late to this game. :p

**This is a money saving strategy suggestion, NOT a NCL slam, so please keep your snark in check. Thanks :)**

Actually, I called NCL to see if I could get some OBC in light of the $175 drop (as suggested by my previous rep) and NCL was nice enough to offer me a mid-ship Mini-Suite, which I respectfully turned down. I really am looking forward to my Aft facing Balcony and my vacation :)

I found the same exact thing as well for next week on the BA. I booked a Studio at a decent rate in February, then upgraded last week for $240 for a mid-11th balcony- then prices dropped even more; obviously it is hit or miss but if I waited 3 days more I would have only paid $35 more. - Which is fine because I was spending too much time on it.

Now for $13 I could get a spa balcony or mini-suite but am staying put.

I am considering going the same week next year (when it does Bermuda in October for the first time) but won't book until Columbus day. I'll reserve the week off at work in advance and book later on. Plus, if weather would be bad I wouldn't have a committment as of then.

I found the same exact thing as well for next week on the BA. I booked a Studio at a decent rate in February, then upgraded last week for $240 for a mid-11th balcony- then prices dropped even more; obviously it is hit or miss but if I waited 3 days more I would have only paid $35 more. - Which is fine because I was spending too much time on it.

Now for $13 I could get a spa balcony or mini-suite but am staying put.

I am considering going the same week next year (when it does Bermuda in October for the first time) but won't book until Columbus day. I'll reserve the week off at work in advance and book later on. Plus, if weather would be bad I wouldn't have a committment as of then.

So, when I called NCL earlier today I was actually not at my computer or able to access the site. Now, I see why I was offered a mini-suite. It was pretty much only $12 more than the current/lower rate of the balcony I already have. After looking things over, I decided to get my $$'s worth and switch to a Spa Balcony for $24. Seeing as a spa pass is $199, I could not pass it up. lol

Now that I know the November trends, I will get my Aft facing for a better rate next year. :) You are right in that it is definitely hit or miss and I may be spending a bit too much time on this too! hehe

I have a very similar story. Started out with an inside in January for our November cruise , upgraded to balcony for 20$ more, then upgraded to aft balcony for another 120. My rate dropped the next day by $35!! Oh well, I'm excited about the aft and also don't want to upgrade any further.

So, when I called NCL earlier today I was actually not at my computer or able to access the site. Now, I see why I was offered a mini-suite. It was pretty much only $12 more than the current/lower rate of the balcony I already have. After looking things over, I decided to get my $$'s worth and switch to a Spa Balcony for $24. Seeing as a spa pass is $199, I could not pass it up. lol

Now that I know the November trends, I will get my Aft facing for a better rate next year. :) You are right in that it is definitely hit or miss and I may be spending a bit too much time on this too! hehe

which NCL ship are you going on?

I started another thread about prices dropping on our November 30th Breakaway cruise. My son and his GF were booked in an inside GTY yesterday I saw prices dropped and was able to upgrade them to a balcony for $108. Now tonight I see it dropped even more will call again tomorrow and see if I can get them some OBC. It was a no brainer to upgrade them. They were assigned to cabin 5629 which was kinda crummy although they really would not have cared to much just happy to being going on a cruise but figured this price was right and I got it for them. As for me I'm booked through CAS and already have an amazing deal. Kinda crossing my fingers they call me with an upsell to a suite but I'm extremely happy with what I already have not even sure I would do it if they do call. Confused just speculating about it lol.

Every year for the past 5 years I've said I'm just going to wait and buy last minute because it's cheaper. Then I become concerned that the room type I want in the location I want might not be available or the prices might actually go up instead of down. Then every year I convince myself to just go ahead and book it now. Every year I kick myself. When will I learn? :rolleyes:

For our October cruise this year coming up in just 9 days...(smiling so big my face is about to crack)...the prices before the mini sold out were still 20 higher than what we paid for it so I'm not complaining (this year). I guess it's a gamble. We have traveled in November every year except this year. As long as you don't book a Thanksgiving cruise, I think it's pretty safe to wait until after the PIF date for a sailing at the very least.

Edited by cruisecritiquer

One thing to consider with this suggestion those is that it does not apply to "Jersey Week" Many Jersey schools are off the first full week of November.

We booked reasonably early for 3 years ago, and by the time we sailed the prices had gone up about $1500 above what we paid.

For my current sailing the prices went up considerably after we booked, and just came down to be a little less than we booked by the end of the 10% sale only taking into account the OBC.

This has been our experience as well. My birthday is the 12th and hubby is the 19th and as long as his doesn't fall Thanksgiving week, we can count on either of the two weeks before Thanksgiving to be discounted pretty heavily AND fewer kids (sorry to those who cruise with kids - we have 3 sons, but we enjoy cruising without them too!).

So . . .when you see a price drop for these November cruises and it's already after final payment, are you suggesting to call and ask for either an upgrade or obc?

And will they really give you one or the other? Or does it depend on who answers the phone?

After 20 plus years of traveling on cruises and to all inclusive resorts, we have found that the best deals by far are to be found after Thanksgiving into the first 2 weeks of december. Most folks either just got done with their Thanksgiving vacation, or are concentrating on their upcoming Christmas plans. We have managed to get great deals and avoid the crowds. Perfect!

So . . .when you see a price drop for these November cruises and it's already after final payment, are you suggesting to call and ask for either an upgrade or obc?

And will they really give you one or the other? Or does it depend on who answers the phone?

We called to upgrade my sons cabin from inside GTY to a balcony. Only cost him and his GF $108. We are 45 days out

I'm not suggesting anything about calling NCL after final payment. That's up to you. On that subject, I was just sharing my experience.

My suggestion is to wait until after final payment to purchase November and I would add, December cruises.

When I made my final payment, the rep suggested that I call back if I saw a significant drop. He said that I would not get a refund, but I would "most likely" get an OBC or upgrade. I heard that as, "no guarantees, but it would not hurt to ask".

Every year for the past 5 years I've said I'm just going to wait and buy last minute because it's cheaper. Then I become concerned that the room type I want in the location I want might not be available or the prices might actually go up instead of down. Then every year I convince myself to just go ahead and book it now. Every year I kick myself. When will I learn? :rolleyes:

For our October cruise this year coming up in just 9 days...(smiling so big my face is about to crack)...the prices before the mini sold out were still 20 higher than what we paid for it so I'm not complaining (this year). I guess it's a gamble. We have traveled in November every year except this year. As long as you don't book a Thanksgiving cruise, I think it's pretty safe to wait until after the PIF date for a sailing at the very least.

You just described EXACTLY what I go through each and every time! hahaha I'm determined to get it right next year. lol

After 20 plus years of traveling on cruises and to all inclusive resorts, we have found that the best deals by far are to be found after Thanksgiving into the first 2 weeks of december. Most folks either just got done with their Thanksgiving vacation, or are concentrating on their upcoming Christmas plans. We have managed to get great deals and avoid the crowds. Perfect!

I so agree! I have yet to sail on my exact birthday because its November 28th, which normally falls during a Thanksgiving cruise (on the holiday every 5 yrs), so I have been doing land/sea combo vacations with the sea part starting the 1st week of December in the past. I love that there are less kids and a less rowdy/older crowd around that time.

I so agree! I have yet to sail on my exact birthday because its November 28th, which normally falls during a Thanksgiving cruise (on the holiday every 5 yrs), so I have been doing land/sea combo vacations with the sea part starting the 1st week of December in the past. I love that there are less kids and a less rowdy/older crowd around that time.

I am sailing on my exact birthday as well! I hope you enjoy the Epic- I loved it 3 years ago it was great! I was going to do the Getaway, but decided to repeat the Breakaway as it will be more enjoyable spending my birthday at sea than at an airport.

For next year I am already planning on booking 10/18-10/25; coming back that day and staying overnight in NYC and seeing The Who.

In the end, had I just waited until a week or so before I would have gotten the 10off as well.

So for next year, I am just going to reserve the week off and book 10-14 days in advance. While there are no guarantees of course, this week is between Jersey week and the Columbus Day week.

Love this board!!! Thanks for the tips. I just called to upgrade our thanksgiving week breakaway cabins (ocean view and an inside across the hall). And got 2 connecting family balconies for only $30!! What an upgrade. Our family of 5 will be sailing in luxury. Al because I read your comments :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I kinda hate to see this kind of post on here! Of course there will always be some that get a good deal, especially if your willing to take a less desirable cabin. However, for every one of you that gets a good deal there are others that have just the opposite experience. For the last four years, our cabin, reserved a year in advance has skyrocketed in price near the end. This year is a prime example, we booked 13 months ago, today's price for the same room is $2000 more, last year $1800 more, etc for the first week in December.

And this is not a prime week.

Similar to another thread running right now, people tell the board, always wait till the end and you will save a ton of money. If this were how it works, why would anyone book in advance? If it is guaranteed that you will save hundreds or even thousands, wouldn't everyone wait till the end? Folks will now pull up this post for the next couple of years and say, "everyone on this post saved hundreds of dollars waiting until the end to book". The reality is, if you want a good room in a good location, book early. If you don't care that you are over the bandstand in the bow of the ship, wait and see what happens. Sometimes you can save money and other times you can't even get a room. TA's could make millions if they could guarantee their customers they would get them good rooms at hundreds/thousands less than everyone else pays.

Love this board!!! Thanks for the tips. I just called to upgrade our thanksgiving week breakaway cabins (ocean view and an inside across the hall). And got 2 connecting family balconies for only $30!! What an upgrade. Our family of 5 will be sailing in luxury. Al because I read your comments :)

Not an upgrade, it's an upsell and they are available all the time. Just call on any cruise and ask how much to move up in category.

It is a game that THEY play, so why not play it too! I am glad that I benefitted and hope that someone else may too. I had been told nothing would drop for this Thanksgiving week cruise and it looks like they have lots of open cabins. So, check it out. I am happy to post my results and hope someone else may benefit too.