Shoe war

So, my parents and inlaws are cruising with us November 27th on Caribbean Princess. My mom and I work at the same hospital but different departments. She has on this pair of open toed shoes and says "all I need is white ones and I'm all set" I gasp, because girls, these are like backyard shoes. I politely as I can (not easy with mom) that those are just not appropriate for the dining room. She says "i'll wear what I want, if they don't like it tough" I feel bad because she'll really feel embarrassed wearing those in the dining room and I don't want her to feel that way. What can I do????????

Mmmmm? Not sure mom will wear the new one's, she sounds pretty insistant on the "those" white shoes. I say just stay on her about it. Maybe by Novemeber, she'll buy a few new pairs. Good luck!

Kim

Dawn Princess

Regal Princess

Grand Princess

Mercury - Celebrity

Windward - NCL

Monarch of the Seas

Voyager of the Seas

Sovereign of the Seas

Andi,

I don't think that surprising your Mom with a pair of shoes will help, in fact it could backfire if she gets really angry about it.

IMHO, a person who says "I'll wear what I want, if they don't like it, tough!", is not the kind of person who'd appreciate that kind of gift.

I would quit nagging her negatively about it and just make jokes about her being ready to step into a new job should one of the ship's hospital personnel fall overboard! icon_wink.gif

You can talk about what you're buying for yourself with lots of enthusiasm. If she doesn't change her mind before Nov, then frankly, there's nothing you can do.....other than assuring others that you didn't get your fashion sense from your Mom. icon_biggrin.gif

Jane

My mom is the same way. I said "those are not dining room shoes." She says "But I can't walk in heels." Ok, I took her shopping and we compromised on a decent pair.

Monarch of the Seas 09/92

Majesty of the Seas 11/93,11/95

Sovereign of the Seas 09/94

Grandeur of the Seas 11/99,11/00,06/01,02/02,05/04

Navigator of the Seas 12/02,11/04

Rhapsody of the Seas 06/03

Radiance of the Seas 11/03

I think surprising her is a good idea. It worked w/ my mom. The key is as someone posted -- compromise. You can't just buy her shoes you like; they have to be something you can tolerate but that she'll wear. I'd start my shopping at her favorite store.

Trish

I know as my mom got older her shoes got "more comfortable". She has always been a fashionable woman and she was able to find comfortable dressy low heeled/wedge shoes.

Your mom sounds like she's concerned with spending the extra money for new shoes and can't justify buying a pair of shoes she'll never wear again.

Does she have a birthday between now and November? Take her shopping with you for her present. You two can make a day of it...lunch, manicure, shopping for shoes. (I'm assuming she enjoys shopping!) If she doesn't have a birthday in the next few months, how about a "just because" or "girls day out"?

Hopefully this will help.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;06;06;23;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

June 6-Golden

Archived