classic beverage option ?'s

amscene1

Well the classic package as such was fine for our taste just poor form that celebrity were unable to provide even a general advice list for the package on the ship as promised (oh and as re advised two days ago in several countries when the question was asked again yes we provide lists on board for each package).

Cruising again? Well we discovered apartment hotels on the trip and connected a few dots and did a little research and currently think that is the way to go for us in future. At least there when you have late night parties happening next door and spitting over the balcony from next door to greet you each morning you can move on.

As I said before great ship, great food but the corner cutters took their toll on us. Given what we have learned in the last few days we could do the same I guess but its not us.

I could not edit my earlier post but after reading all through this thread in particular posts by my fellow Aussie karanadowns. He/she comments that he/she has a certain amount of experience in dining at 3 star michelin restaurants. Somehow this must give him/her an edge over the rest of us or why would it be mentioned. When I last looked, there are Zero Michelin 3 star (or 2 star for that matter ), restaurants in Australia. Considering that the Drink Package was free, surely one would pay the extra to upgrade to Premium. As I said, just off Equinox, and absolutely fantastic in all respects.

Considering that the Drink Package was free, surely one would pay the extra to upgrade to Premium. As I said, just off Equinox, and absolutely fantastic in all respects.

The drink package is free, and if you have to "upgrade" it is no longer free.

Giving the drink package as an incentive shouldn't require someone to "upgrade" just to enjoy the drinks.

So no, there is no "surely one would pay the extra to upgrade to Premium".

Giving the drink package as an incentive shouldn't require someone to "upgrade" just to enjoy the drinks.

Sorry, "one" in "surely.....premium." does not mean "everyone", it refers to the particular poster as mentioned.

]

Not really free--It's built into the total price you pay. Once the package perks end, the prices come down.

]

Not really free--It's built into the total price you pay. Once the package perks end, the prices come down.

Not always, we paid $3476.88 for our 1A on the Equinox with a 123 perk.

If you want to join us it is now over $5200 WITH NO PERK AT ALL:eek: for the same 1A.

EW

There are more than one package, ( yes, I know, you know that )

you do not need to upgrade to anything you dont want ( yes, I know, you know that too ) There are different qualitys of beer, wine, and liquor, heck, they have different qualitys of orange juice for goodness sake. Oh, I know, you know that too.

At least Celebrity allows us to upgrade for a modest amount, and not the whole amount. A very fair amount at that.

A front row seat at the Opera cost more than a balcony, yet you both get to hear the same thing.

Not so when there are quality differences in a food item.

Edited by wallie5446

Given the quality of the food in some restaurants in Australia it is a shame (and a mystery to many) why there are not Michelin rated restaurants here. That little fact was thrown in because it perhaps shows that travel, and a lot of it, has been a part of our lives. No we have not taken 20 or 30 or more cruises and this was an oblique reference to a fact that we had traveled just a little though not necessarily on cruises.

Here is a hint to Celebrity Cruises and some posters here about the drinks (alcohol type) packages. Even though there are two levels some drinks are not available on the top package and you still have to pay the difference for these. However if, as Celebrity still says a couple of days ago, which didn't happen on our cruise, a clear if only generalised understanding of brand labels (for example for spirits) would be available on the ship, then a perusal for someone who understood their tastes might be enough to tip them into the premium package by actually demonstrating in hard print.

This might also free up the bar keeps and waiters to tend to more customers other than to explain what is there and what is not. Oh no wait, according to some you need to take the bar keeps advice on what you should be drinking, sigh.

Then again perhaps the downside of the list is that simple drinkers who might have taken the premium package might just believe the classic package was the way to go.

So now if you really can't tell what is on your package and given that everything in the classic package is on the premium package and the premium package has more and higher quality and you only pay the difference for the really high quality stuff is you are on the premium package rather the whole amount if you are on the classic package (plus 15% gratuities built in) one sees for those passenger who need the bar keep to "advise" them what they should be drinking that it is in Celebrity's interest to train the bar keep in recommending the cheap labels to those on any package to assist with their profits. Devious isn't it.

Given the quality of the food in some restaurants in Australia it is a shame (and a mystery to many) why there are not Michelin rated restaurants here. That little fact was thrown in because it perhaps shows that travel, and a lot of it, has been a part of our lives. No we have not taken 20 or 30 or more cruises and this was an oblique reference to a fact that we had traveled just a little though not necessarily on cruises.

Here is a hint to Celebrity Cruises and some posters here about the drinks (alcohol type) packages. Even though there are two levels some drinks are not available on the top package and you still have to pay the difference for these. However if, as Celebrity still says a couple of days ago, which didn't happen on our cruise, a clear if only generalised understanding of brand labels (for example for spirits) would be available on the ship, then a perusal for someone who understood their tastes might be enough to tip them into the premium package by actually demonstrating in hard print.

This might also free up the bar keeps and waiters to tend to more customers other than to explain what is there and what is not. Oh no wait, according to some you need to take the bar keeps advice on what you should be drinking, sigh.

Then again perhaps the downside of the list is that simple drinkers who might have taken the premium package might just believe the classic package was the way to go.

So now if you really can't tell what is on your package and given that everything in the classic package is on the premium package and the premium package has more and higher quality and you only pay the difference for the really high quality stuff is you are on the premium package rather the whole amount if you are on the classic package (plus 15% gratuities built in) one sees for those passenger who need the bar keep to "advise" them what they should be drinking that it is in Celebrity's interest to train the bar keep in recommending the cheap labels to those on any package to assist with their profits. Devious isn't it.

I have read all your posts (and there are many post cruise)

And FINALLY we come to the crux of the matter...

It is a Conspracy Theory (the Bevvy Plgs, the Dinner Seating, the location of your cabin etc)

Thanks for clearing that up :rolleyes:

I agree, you would be much better off on another cruise line or in an apartment hotel ashore

I wish you well

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

There are more than one package, ( yes, I know, you know that )

you do not need to upgrade to anything you dont want ( yes, I know, you know that too ) There are different qualitys of beer, wine, and liquor, heck, they have different qualitys of orange juice for goodness sake. Oh, I know, you know that too.

At least Celebrity allows us to upgrade for a modest amount, and not the whole amount. A very fair amount at that.

A front row seat at the Opera cost more than a balcony, yet you both get to hear the same thing.

Not so when there are quality differences in a food item.

Agree 100%. I started out complaining about the choices but after researching in here, I'm sure the classic will work fine. So effective today, I am no longer whining about what MAY not be included. I've come to the conclusion that I was making things difficult.

Yes John, best not be an informed person for Celebrity. It is a great marketing plan not quite legal in many places but after sitting down with the group who checked it out (unfortunately I got the straw to front Cruise Critic and post here to see what the reactions were from various long term and high volume posters and you have not disappointed) that is our conclusion. More on this interesting facet of marketing will be heard elsewhere.

Not always, we paid $3476.88 for our 1A on the Equinox with a 123 perk.

If you want to join us it is now over $5200 WITH NO PERK AT ALL:eek: for the same 1A.

EW

There are exceptions and prices can and do go up with demand and a shortage of cabins, but with everything else being the same(which it can't be), the price drops when the package goes away.

I have read all your posts (and there are many post cruise)

And FINALLY we come to the crux of the matter...

It is a Conspracy Theory (the Bevvy Plgs, the Dinner Seating, the location of your cabin etc)

Thanks for clearing that up :rolleyes:

I agree, you would be much better off on another cruise line or in an apartment hotel ashore

I wish you well

Cheers!

Careful Sloop- Me thinks the Aussie is in a type of FBI!:p

There are exceptions and prices can and do go up with demand and a shortage of cabins, but with everything else being the same(which it can't be), the price drops when the package goes away.

That is my experience too when monitoring prices in cabins in the short-term

123Go / PYP Promos and prices are higher by about $ 200 per person

Promo ends... Price goes down $ 200

Long term tho, I agree with WALLIE5446, more often than not prices go up on cruises I have booked between Date I did, and when they actually sail

And really long term... Cruising is a lot more expensive (25 to 50% more) than it was 3 to 5 years ago

On the otherhand, lots of things have gone up substantially as well in that time frame, including other forms of vacations / travel (flights, Hotels, Resorts) so now more than ever I find a cruise to be the better value for the dollars spent cause it is more of an all inlusive holiday

My floating hotel / mode of transpo... That takes me where I want to go... While providing Delux accommodations, above average food, fine dining restaurants, educational workshops, various forms of entertainment and wonderful service too.

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

My experiece with such pricing matters are limited to our Reflection sailing last Nov, and the Equinox this yr. Neither of which went down at all when the perks went away.

I just dont watch sail dates for times I cant get off work for us to go.

We have folks on our Roll Call, paying a lot more than we did, in the cabins up an down deck 8, then us, and then bellied up more to 'BUY' a bev pkg.

So yes, if it is a slug sailing date that few care to sail, the Co has no choice but to lower the price to get bodys in the beds. From reading the boards here on CC that is a very small % of the sailings tho.

Yes John, best not be an informed person for Celebrity. It is a great marketing plan not quite legal in many places.

Not sure what is illegal? Real world travelers go with the flow and understand the difference. Seems to be the trend of it can't be ones fault for not researching.

I'm looking forward to the illegalities in December.

Wowsers-- I agree with the Sloopster-- the Jig (as we say in the States) IS UP!!

If Karanadowns figured out how much time she has spent outing this nefarious conspiracy AND applied a reasonable hourly wage to her time--she would have used more than enough to justify the upgrading of her Drink package--

Give it a rest Karanadowns-- you have had your say and repeating your conspiracy theory over and over will not support conviction. You are starting to sound like "Alien Space Conspiracy" Theorists

Just sayin'

Slightly OT, but the Bev Package link on Celebrity's website has been down all day for "improvements" Be interesting to see if they are making changes to the packages or just responding to criticisms of the website.

In the end, none of it matters. You tell the mixologists :D what pkg you have, and what you want to drink, and presto! They slide it across the bar to you within the confinds of what ever pkg you have.

Now that aint gonna happen with the beer an wine selections, as they are all priced per bottle or glass. Or the unforgettable art of Molecular Mixology SPECIALITY drinks

Edited by wallie5446

]

Well I hope that is correct. The current 123go ends soon. I am looking to book a 2015 sailing but cannot do so until December. Current cost I apptox $6000 inc. Drink package (free) so will be interesting to see how much after 123go ends.

Off topic jveevers, but would you please stop by the GastroBar thread and give us your thoughts about the beer & wine selections.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2051239

Thanks, EW

EW (wallie5446) Sorry, am not a Beer drinker so did not visit Gastrobar at all.

Considering that there are several other bars I tended to visit them for my wine/spirits/cocktails and leave Gastrobar for the Beer drinkers.

Well after 4 cruises with Celebrity , 45 days, all on Premium package. Approx total of 1250 drinks (between 2 pax). I know the limit is $13 per drink so I often add to my order "best you can do for $13 " when ordering spirits. With Wine the prices are on the Wine list so ok there. Same with Cocktails, the most costly ones are at Molecular Bar but nothing over $13. So 45 days, 1250 drinks and only ever had to pay extra once. That was $6 because I selected a $16 wine in Murano. I reckon its pretty damm good and I doubt very much if any profit has been made from me on Drink sales/package. Ps 1250 drinks includes Coffees and Waters and Juices.

Edited by jveevers